2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fart Can Muffler Sound - just for a minute

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Fart Can Muffler Sound - just for a minute

OK, So I went to pick up my son today and after hopping back in the fit (parked for about 15-20 minutes, temp was 24F, on a slight slope downhill), I started the engine and the exhaust sounded like I had a hole in the muffler or a fart-can muffler installed. Here's the catch, it did it for about 1 minute, did NOT do it consistently as I revved the engine, and then it was gone. I got back to the house (about 1 mile away) and everything seemed fine. Started the car after about another 20 minutes (no issues), drove 15 minutes to Staples, then over to Hannaford (.2 mile drive between the two) and an hour of food shopping. Back in the car and all sounds fine.

What would cause a temporary sound like that? I thought maybe a gasket but that would be constant when revving the engine, too soon for a hole in the exhaust and again, that would be constant. Also, I'd think it would be an intermittent issue and would have heard it if it were something loose, 1 hour at hannaford in 24F breezy conditions would take care of cooling down the pipes quick enough.

I'm perplexed.

~SB

Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 PM
maybe there was a ricer tail gating you? dono lol

Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
That's the second time someone mentioned some like this happening. Don't remember exactly which member it was but they started a thread in Nov/Dec about the same thing, and it also stopped after about a minute. Sorry I have no insight, just thought it was interesting.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Maybe a heat shield rattling? damn intermittent problem that can't be duplicated suck ass.

Clay

Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Flip, If you find the post, please link it. Thx

naM, Definitely not a rattle... it was like I bought a Wal-mart "performance" muffler and had it installed. Same sound you get if your exhaust pipe separates somewhere before the muffler.

~SB

Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
I vaguely remember seeing a thread not too long ago mentioning something about exhaust pushing denser air when it sits for a bit in the cold.

was the time picking up your son the only time that day it was on a slight decline?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I vaguely remember seeing a thread not too long ago mentioning something about exhaust pushing denser air when it sits for a bit in the cold.

was the time picking up your son the only time that day it was on a slight decline?
no, well, kinda... I had parked there (same spot) for 1-2 minutes about 1.5 hours earlier in the day when I dropped him off. but by slight decline, I mean slight... probably a 1-2deg decline.

The thing is... it made this noise for about 30 sec to 1 minute, wasn't just a quick 2-5 second noise on startup, even with revving the engine a little. I swore I had a hole in the exhaust... but then it went away.

No issue today... car sat all night and no noise... then it sat at work all day... no noise.

I dunno....

~SB