2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:26 PM
maybe I'm a wierdo, but I didn't really react badly at all. I was like awsome...get a free loaner for the week. I don't know why but I just love driving different cars. My previous car (Mini Cooper s) was taken into the shop for warantee stuff and I got a 3 series BMW. I told the the service guy to take his sweet time.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Well there it is, straight from the horses mouth. Thanks aaudia86, though that looks strangely German to me..... only kidding!!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by aaudia86
Hey everyone I am a service advisor at Torrington Honda in CT, they just released the service bulletins to me today actually on the recall, I did a VIN inquiry myself for my own 09 Fit Sport and my vehicle is affected by this recall. The recall will take about 1.5-2 hrs to complete, techs need to perform spring inspection by removing valve cover and look for a stamped production number, the lost motion spring kit will only be replaced if neccessary along with adjusting valves.
I am curious after opening the cover, what are the factors, symptoms the tech will use to decide on the spot whether the motion spring necessitate changing.

If they just look for the stamped production number on the spring, and close the cover without changing anything if the spring production # is not in the recall list....would Honda have records of which FIT VINs they sold so that we don't have to go through the inspection and being told the spring need not be changed after they opened up the engine?.... I may be missing something here.... I am mechanically challenged and appreciate some feed back... thanks for all the helpful info so far in this forum..... knowledge is power

Old 02-19-2011, 08:33 PM
My Buddy the Honda tech gave me the following message. when I asked about the recall. I did not read the whole thread, so someone may have already gave how it will probably be changed. Just sit and wait.

We have not received any info on it yet just the news. Just like the marines first one to go last one to know. I'm pretty sure it's an easy fix nothing to it. Just remove and disassy. the rocker arm assy. and replace the bad part. Then reassy. and readjust the valves and your good to go.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
I am curious after opening the cover, what are the factors, symptoms the tech will use to decide on the spot whether the motion spring necessitate changing.

If they just look for the stamped production number on the spring, and close the cover without changing anything if the spring production # is not in the recall list....would Honda have records of which FIT VINs they sold so that we don't have to go through the inspection and being told the spring need not be changed after they opened up the engine?.... I may be missing something here.... I am mechanically challenged and appreciate some feed back... thanks for all the helpful info so far in this forum..... knowledge is power
There are the "types" of Fits in this situation.

Fits that were produced before the new specified spring was received.

Fits that were produced while the old and new springs were mixed up in the supply bins.

Fits that were produced after a few supply bin cycles, so they are known to use only the new springs.

Now, even if they are super anal on tracking everything... There are still many Fits that are in the "does it have new or old spring?" category.

So, it's simpler to just do a separation of those they know for a fact were built well after the old springs ran out vs everything else.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Looked at my door jamb sticker, my fit was built in november of 08, pretty sure i'm affected. I'm surprised my car is so old lol.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by acj2112
Then reassy. and readjust the valves and your good to go.
ACJ and Auaudia - can you explain a little about the readjusting the valves part? Is that something that's pretty simple/standard to do, or is it more of a dark art? I did see a YouTube video on valve adjustments, seems pretty straightforward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMYMskOQQQ

Is it correct in assuming that valve adjustments are one of those things that experienced mechanics do on a fairly regular basis?

I guess my biggest concern would be the engine running to lean (stalling/low power) or too rich (poor MPG and emissions), or is the valve timing something completely different or having other negative effects?

Last edited by 480VAC; 02-19-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Re-adjusting Valves

Personally I cannot comment on adjusting valves on the fit. My friend seems to do it all the time on Honda's. I do not think the fit is much different than any other V-tech beyond the size. Seem when the assemblies are removed and replaced, then routine is to re-adjust. If you don't the engine will probably run really crappy.

People are dising the Honda Techs, these guys and girls work on Honda's all day long. I would much rather have this kind of work done at the dealership. Cracking the engine, it's way better to have someone experienced with the engine, then some goober works at small shop. If I am on the recall list, I have late 2010, I am going to wait a while then take it in. Let em do a bunch and get a lot of practice. ( My Friend works at Dealership too far away from me)

Old 02-19-2011, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 480VAC
ACJ, can you explain a little about the readjusting the valves part? Is that something that's pretty simple/standard to do, or is it more of a dark art? Is that done using a computer system so that the technician can adjust it right on the money?

I guess my biggest concern would be the engine running to lean (stalling) or too rich (poor MPG).
They take the rocker assembly off and the cam out replace the spring and reassemble the head in reverse order. The rocker valves are torqued down and then the valves adjusted like on a solid lift cam. Its not that hard but if the springs are damaged or broken then there could be damage to the rocker assembly which would require replacement of those parts.

Nothing to do with the ecu or fuel injection systems so no worries about that. If there is a problem the engine would stall so thats a symptom to the bad spring and the recall. Most of the cars have low mileage so they are just fixing it so no problems later.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by acj2112
People are dising the Honda Techs, these guys and girls work on Honda's all day long. I would much rather have this kind of work done at the dealership. Cracking the engine, it's way better to have someone experienced with the engine, then some goober works at small shop. If I am on the recall list, I have late 2010, I am going to wait a while then take it in. Let em do a bunch and get a lot of practice.
I do have tremendous respect for people who do mechanical work - these folks are the vanguard that keeps America moving. I guess people tend to focus on the one tech that did a crappy job and ignore the four techs who did competent, diligent, and correct work. Human nature. Thanks for all the great information, I really appreciate it.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

Fits that were produced while the old and new springs were mixed up in the supply bins.
Fits that were produced after a few supply bin cycles, so they are known to use only the new springs.
where did you hear that? certainly sounds reasonable, but i have not seen it written/mentioned.

i think i'm screwed no matter what. i got my car in october 2008. -..->

Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, I meant you can sort them into three groups.

We have two production plants that just keep going. When the supply bin of a part is low, it gets filled up. Or just as easily scheduled refill times. The likelyhood of them not using up the old spring is pretty small (ie tossing out the old springs), especially when, during that time, this wasn't such a big deal.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry, I meant you can sort them into three groups.

We have two production plants that just keep going. When the supply bin of a part is low, it gets filled up. Or just as easily scheduled refill times. The likelihood of them not using up the old spring is pretty small (ie tossing out the old springs), especially when, during that time, this wasn't such a big deal.
Thanks Goobers... I understand now.....Being a non-mechanical person, I try to think in terms of a buffet food in a restaurant. When the fried chicken drumsticks in the buffet hot tray is running low, the cook behind will fry more chicken drumsticks to replenish the fried chicken tray.

Once cooked, out come the pot of new batch of fried chicken drumsticks and they will pour the newly cooked chickens on top of the old chicken drumsticks that is running low.

Due to the mix of the old food and newly cooked food, any contamination of the food will be difficult to trace because you don't know whether your drumsticks is from the old batch or new batch, no one knows who will get contaminated....just like the problem of old springs mixed with the new springs and it is hard to tell if our FIT is having the old springs or new springs if our FIT is produced during the borderline period when Honda discovered the problem springs.

My 2010 FIT was purchased in Aug 22, 2010. I may be sitting on the borderline between the old fried chicken or new fried chicken analogy.

Last edited by Ric01; 02-19-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:57 PM
looks like mine was manufactured on 9/'10.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 PM
dgs
Originally Posted by Ric01
Thanks Goobers... I understand now.....Being a non-mechanical person, I try to think in terms of a buffet food in a restaurant. When the fried chicken drumsticks in the buffet hot tray is running low, the cook behind will fry more chicken drumsticks to replenish the fried chicken tray.

Once cooked, out come the pot of new batch of fried chicken drumsticks and they will pour the newly cooked chickens on top of the old chicken drumsticks that is running low.

Due to the mix of the old food and newly cooked food, any contamination of the food will be difficult to trace because you don't know whether your drumsticks is from the old batch or new batch, no one knows who will get contaminated....just like the problem of old springs mixed with the new springs and it is hard to tell if our FIT is having the old springs or new springs if our FIT is produced during the borderline period when Honda discovered the problem springs.

My 2010 FIT was purchased in Aug 22, 2010. I may be sitting on the borderline between the old fried chicken or new fried chicken analogy.
Damn, your little chicken analogy is making me hungry, when I should probably be worried about my engine crapping out. I think I'm going to get in my Fit and drive to Cluckers for some chicken wings, thanks for the suggestion dude! (hope my Fit gets me there and back okay)

Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 PM
My '10 Fit was manufactured 06/10. It'll be interesting to see if I get a letter or not. I'm inclined to think I may dodge the bullet on this one but we'll see.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Valve cover and rocker assembly need to be removed and the rocker assembly disassembled and four little springs replaced and then the whole thing reassembled and adjusted.

Like I said before, most likely the recall repairs will be assigned by the shop, but if you do know them well enough to request a tech - possibly it might work.

But really, everyone is acting with little faith in Honda service. I'm wondering if this is based on any hard experience or just some sort of impression that does seem to prevail on this forum from time to time.

This is not heart surgery, it's fundamental automotive mechanics.
Any Honda dealer's repair shop is fully qualified to execute this recall repair.
There are also many independent shops qualified to do the work, only problem is they can not do authorized Honda recall service.

How many of you actually understand how a V-Tec engine works and the purpose of the springs in question?
So much blind speculation.......... there is some accurate information in this thread, look for it - then search around the WWW and learn.

Life really isn't this complicated_
You said it far more eloquently than I. This is a job I and many others on this board could do in 2 hours at a relaxed pace.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-19-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You said it far more eloquently than I. This is a job I and many others on this board could do in 2 hours at a relaxed pace.
If I am interpreting what you said correctly, you mean consuming the better part of a six pack during the process.... Maybe something a bit more warming to the system if it is cold where you are working.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If I am interpreting what you said correctly, you mean consuming the better part of a six pack during the process.... Maybe something a bit more warming to the system if it is cold where you are working.
My thoughts exactly! ;D

Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

Now, even if they are super anal on tracking everything... There are still many Fits that are in the "does it have new or old spring?" category.

So, it's simpler to just do a separation of those they know for a fact were built well after the old springs ran out vs everything else.
Do you know for a fact this is what Honda did? Or is it just speculation? Because I think it possible that if Honda determined that the specifications for the springs needed to be changed...then officially made the decision to change the specifications that there very well could be a clear point where they stopped using the old specification of spring and changed to using the new specification.

I will admit I don't know how Honda handled the situation, but I do know that in quality control, if you determine you have a problem with a part, and you make a change...you don't "mix" the defective or substandard parts with the new parts...it is NOT like mixing Chicken at an all you can eat banquet.

Also if as stated in a early post, the determination as to whether the springs need to be changed will be made once the valve cover is removed and a stamped production date is viewed...that suggests to me that Honda is pretty clear on an exact date to look for...

I'm not saying your wrong...but I am saying, if you are just speculating as to how Honda handled the change in production and the implementation of the new springs...you should present it as speculation not fact.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall