2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Listen, I saw the numbers supposedly tied to the recall. The total number of complaints. But come on! You have to believe that Honda did some testing and projected that this problem would become worse.

Go ahead and call me cynical, but I believe that Honda must "know" that the defective springs would fail at "X" degree...and evidently they decided the fallout and potential liability would be great enough to justify what is a relatively huge recall.

It's really simple. If it wasn't a problem, or isn't a problem, Honda wouldn't be engaging in this recall.
This goes back to... What is it you expect of Honda? For them to PREDICT a future? I mean, they chose a supply from a company... and it's only AFTER they've finished production that the complaints cropped up with enough "validity" to issue a recall.

We don't even know when the complaints came in... the first one could've very well come in after HALF of the annual quota of Fits was shipped out. Five or ten more in a few weeks could still not mean anything more than a "quirk."

You just sound like you're determined to blame Honda for something. If that's what's floating your boat... fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Goobers, I appreciate your thorough response. Without getting into a lot of detail, I disagree that the manufacturing process in this day age will give you such wild fluctuation of quality from batch to batch. Also, I think it highly unlikely that honda would issue such a massive recall based on some random cars having the problem. And even if they did, if they manufacturing process is so random, what would guarantee that an equally random sample of bad springs did not occur going forward?

No, I think this is a design issue. The spring is likely designed for whatever tolerances and conditions and when the rubber hit the road, they discovered it inadequate, redesigned it slightly and now need to recall the cars on the road with the old spring and replace it with the new one. The reason? They expect quite a few failures down the road as these cars get more miles in them.

Of course I can't prove that but that's what makes sense to my mind.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Listen, I saw the numbers supposedly tied to the recall. The total number of complaints. But come on! You have to believe that Honda did some testing and projected that this problem would become worse.

Go ahead and call me cynical, but I believe that Honda must "know" that the defective springs would fail at "X" degree...and evidently they decided the fallout and potential liability would be great enough to justify what is a relatively huge recall.

It's really simple. If it wasn't a problem, or isn't a problem, Honda wouldn't be engaging in this recall.

So now they are engaged in conspiracy?

Yes Honda only hires clairvoyant engineers, and they know everything that might happen in the myriad conditions every single component could possibly ever be subjected too.

And they were all present at the mine where the ore for the springs was sourced, and personally cast them in a haunted foundry.

All while cackling to themselves while they dream of future Fit owners crying about it on the internet while at the same time admitting they are mechanically ignorant and then questioning the figures provided by Honda themselves, even though they didn't even have to issue a recall.

Diabolical.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
so, back on topic LOL

i called the canadian 888 number, and low and behold, my car is on the list. for me, i'm dissapointed due to the fact i had to replace my motor in august.........fan in the rad let go, and ruined my rad, which led to my motor seizing. this could also be something else that honda might recall.
ANYWAY, i called, they told me they are sending out letters, blah blah blah, when i recive it, call the dealership for an appt. they said i will recieve my letter by mid to late march......well, i drive 200kms a day for work, and i can't really "depend" on the car if there is a possibility of something happening, which leaves me stranded.

so, i call the dealership, who pretty much know me by name now, and i get an apointment for this coming tuesday. they informed me that the RECALL has only been issues for about 24 hours, and they are still in the early stages of this, and don't know to much about the problem themselves. they have a part number, and a VIN list. thats pretty much it.
i'll be paying close attention to the car over the next few days, just so when i get it back, to see if i notice a difference(sound).

i'm looking at the sprintex supercharger for spring......imagine if that went on, and the recall was at the end of the summer......fried motor number 2? LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Goobers, I appreciate your thorough response. Without getting into a lot of detail, I disagree that the manufacturing process in this day age will give you such wild fluctuation of quality from batch to batch. Also, I think it highly unlikely that honda would issue such a massive recall based on some random cars having the problem. And even if they did, if they manufacturing process is so random, what would guarantee that an equally random sample of bad springs did not occur going forward?

No, I think this is a design issue. The spring is likely designed for whatever tolerances and conditions and when the rubber hit the road, they discovered it inadequate, redesigned it slightly and now need to recall the cars on the road with the old spring and replace it with the new one. The reason? They expect quite a few failures down the road as these cars get more miles in them.

Of course I can't prove that but that's what makes sense to my mind.
It could very well be a design issue. Like I said, reality doesn't always follow theory/design.

Its possible that the design is sound for ideal parts (with a small margin). But the parts turned out further from the margin than they expected.

Things like this... only show up after time.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
So you've made it this far in life and are just now learning that a byproduct of mass production is occasional flaws?

Sorry about your anecdote and misfortune, but to create such poutrage over this is ridiculous.

Things happen, castings shift, internal oxidation occurs, flaws and slight inconsistencies in material stock are a fact of life. There is theory, and then there is reality. You need to come back to reality.

Manufacturers can still miss the occasional faulty part even with the most stringent of assembly and manufacturing quality control and sampling.

Anyone remember all those Lambo's catching on fire because the vibration of running would cause the seams of welds on the fuel pump hangers to bust setting off a whole chain reaction of nastiness? And that was with the new Audi ownership, and you know the Germans make good stuff...

The first batch of Ferrari 458's had a similar spontaneous combustion issue and that was with millions upon millions invested into such a small fleet.

Expecting Honda to issue a recall for an OE flaw is one thing, but expecting them to get hauled through the mud like Toyota did last summer and then go onto to provide video of Joe Schmoe walking you through the repair is another. There were also political pressurings for that, and the end result was added cost to the final product.

So lets be glad it is a spring and not a bonfire that causes you so much angst.

K_C we don't always see eye to eye, and I am a bit less forgiving than you, but more often than not you speak the truth. Even if it does involve a dig at me from time to time.

Not that you are beyond reproach either when perpetually trying to take the moral high ground to try and shame others for their opinions whilst spouting yours..
This has already degenrated somewhat into a philosophical pi$$ing match.

As I said, ironically my dad works for a company directly involved in providing components for Honda and other automanufacturers, and he is IN quality control.

I'm well, well aware that there is no perfection in mass production. But I'm also aware that Honda, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, they ALL strive for it...

Maybe my initial reaction was too emotional..BUT...this is NOT a good thing if you own a Honda Fit.

It's a bad thing for Honda as a whole.

I'm not heading out to car lots today, nor am I looking up blue book prices...I still like my Fit.

But I would be lying if I said I wasn't severely disappointed at this development. I would also be lying if I said, I'm now watching much closer. Another recall...or if I start to have problems? I've lost some faith. As much as I do like The Fit, as much as I have trusted and had great results with Honda products...I now have to change my outlook...

All vehicles are ultimately disposable items...unless they end up in museums. But I had hoped to drive this one for a long, long time. Now? I'll just have to see how things seem to hold up...or not....

I'm hoping this is a specific failure...and not inheritent to engine design or indicative of a decline in Honda's quality control...but where once I had unquestioning faith in Honda...things have changed...and maybe for the better...today, I do not....

I would allow- without down putting name calling...everyone the freedom to react any way they wish.

If you want to file it under "No Big Deal" means nothing...feel free...

I can't afford to do that. Even The Fit represents a significant investment to me...I have to pay attention to the reality of the product. I'll be more than happy if this is nothing....but I can't default to the approach that I should just ignore it....

Be honest? 8 months from now another "major recall" on The Fit...would you be totally at ease? I do have to say...Strike Two...and I'm paying close attention....

Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
So you've made it this far in life and are just now learning that a byproduct of mass production is occasional flaws?

Sorry about your anecdote and misfortune, but to create such poutrage over this is ridiculous.

Things happen, castings shift, internal oxidation occurs, flaws and slight inconsistencies in material stock are a fact of life. There is theory, and then there is reality. You need to come back to reality.

Manufacturers can still miss the occasional faulty part even with the most stringent of assembly and manufacturing quality control and sampling.
What anecdote of misfortune are you referring to?

Getting back to the topic. Your argument about occasional manufacturing mistakes flies in the face of the sheer size of the recall.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by know-nothin
I'll assume this is directed at me. It's actually an ad hominem. Rather than address specific points I thoughtfully presented, you seek a higher moral ground because you do not blame honda for the mistake. So I'm arguing specifics and you are implying that you're a better person than me because you "are not throwing stones," and therefore, you needn't win the argument on merits, only on your superiority as a person. I don't know if you even understand what I'm getting at but I'm quite sure you have an insult for me at the ready.
I'm not arguing anything. I didn't comment on your particular points because I put no credence in them. You're free to complain, but I see little to complain about. I don't live in a perfect world and it is the same world you live in.

Selfish demands of others performance is typical of today's 'perfect' world. Try mentoring today's youth. What it is is a world of attitude - self centered attitude. Unforgiving self-righteous attitude. Look at the role models being presented.

And honestly, the moral high ground?? Is that how expressing a set of values is seen? I've lived a hard, but relatively successful, life. Maintaining a strong set of personal values has served me well. It's called integrity, and is nothing to be ashamed of.

DSM - where we don't see eye to eye is understood by us both, at least I hope it is. And I trust you understand that I do, in all my splendid regalia, realize I am not beyond approach. [I'm actually above it]

and why did you use such tiny letters - you know i love you........

Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
It could very well be a design issue. Like I said, reality doesn't always follow theory/design.

Its possible that the design is sound for ideal parts (with a small margin). But the parts turned out further from the margin than they expected.

Things like this... only show up after time.
Agreed. Time will tell. Thanks for the civil debate.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
So now they are engaged in conspiracy?

Yes Honda only hires clairvoyant engineers, and they know everything that might happen in the myriad conditions every single component could possibly ever be subjected too.

And they were all present at the mine where the ore for the springs was sourced, and personally cast them in a haunted foundry.

All while cackling to themselves while they dream of future Fit owners crying about it on the internet while at the same time admitting they are mechanically ignorant and then questioning the figures provided by Honda themselves, even though they didn't even have to issue a recall.

Diabolical.
Huh? Where do I say ANYTHING about a conspiracy? You are creating fiction out of whole cloth.

All I'm saying is I don't believe Honda would launch a recall on this scale if they felt it wasn't projected to become a much bigger problem.

They aren't opening up the engines on 90,000+ Honda Fits for shits and giggles...that isn't a conspiracy theory it's just reality. I'm sure Honda has evaluated the problem...and come to the conclusion that it is big enough to warrant the recall.

I'm SURE they did not sit in a back room and go "You know, The problem has only manifested in 70 or so automobiles...BUT let's go ahead and replace the springs in 90,000+ just for fun.....

No conspiracy theory, but I'm sure Honda has launched this recall with the bottom line knowledge that it ultimately is in Honda's best interest...for themselves and for their customers...

Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I'm not arguing anything. I didn't comment on your particular points because I put no credence in them. You're free to complain, but I see little to complain about. I don't live in a perfect world and it is the same world you live in.

Selfish demands of others performance is typical of today's 'perfect' world. Try mentoring today's youth. What it is is a world of attitude - self centered attitude. Unforgiving self-righteous attitude. Look at the role models being presented.
There, you just did it again. I'm not trying to insult you but if you could only see how condescending and superior you come off...I know you're probably not doing it on purpose, but still it's not very nice. Anyway, I will just end it here because we're really not getting anywhere and dinner is on the table.

Peace and good day to you.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
And honestly, the moral high ground?? Is that how expressing a set of values is seen? I've lived a hard, but relatively successful, life. Maintaining a strong set of personal values has served me well. It's called integrity, and is nothing to be ashamed of.
Hey, you left out the high and mighty old school part.

Peaceandlove
K_C_

Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
This goes back to... What is it you expect of Honda? For them to PREDICT a future? I mean, they chose a supply from a company... and it's only AFTER they've finished production that the complaints cropped up with enough "validity" to issue a recall.

We don't even know when the complaints came in... the first one could've very well come in after HALF of the annual quota of Fits was shipped out. Five or ten more in a few weeks could still not mean anything more than a "quirk."

You just sound like you're determined to blame Honda for something. If that's what's floating your boat... fine.
Again...read carefully..I say Honda "must know" not DID KNOW...as in I'm sure they know today...that X amount of failure is likely to happen...

It IS really simple...REALLY....you don't launch a recall campaign of this cost and complexity unless you have to do it.

I'm NOT blaming Honda for not knowing...in the past...I'm saying TODAY...they know...they wouldn't be doing this unless they looked at the reality of the situation and decided they must.

That's the only reason why I don't take too much solace in the fact that the initial reports of problems are so limited in number, I have to believe Honda wouldn't launch this campaign unless they felt TODAY the problem was real and likely to be widespread and become worse.

Come on, it's real simple. At some point, Honda made the choice. The option to do nothing, admit nothing, did exist....because the problem hasn't manifested in huge numbers yet....

The fact that Honda pro-actively decided to launch this campaign tells me that they did come to the conclusion that it was needed...

Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Again...read carefully..I say Honda "must know" not DID KNOW...as in I'm sure they know today...that X amount of failure is likely to happen...

It IS really simple...REALLY....you don't launch a recall campaign of this cost and complexity unless you have to do it.

I'm NOT blaming Honda for not knowing...in the past...I'm saying TODAY...they know...they wouldn't be doing this unless they looked at the reality of the situation and decided they must.

That's the only reason why I don't take too much solace in the fact that the initial reports of problems are so limited in number, I have to believe Honda wouldn't launch this campaign unless they felt TODAY the problem was real and likely to be widespread and become worse.

Come on, it's real simple. At some point, Honda made the choice. The option to do nothing, admit nothing, did exist....because the problem hasn't manifested in huge numbers yet....

The fact that Honda pro-actively decided to launch this campaign tells me that they did come to the conclusion that it was needed...
My English was never very good, what's the difference between "must've known" and "did know"? Cause I thought if you must've known, then you DID know (but chose to ignore it).

Wait... WHAT?!?

You're not blaming Honda from the past, but today, because they NOW know of a defect from the past?

I'll be honest I was quite annoyed when this thread popped up, but if 555 is right, I'm probably not affected. And so, it should be quite obvious that I'm a little biased in the matter. That being said, it seems that you initially over-reacted and are now calming down a bit.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member
Having dealt with Toyota recalls, (not just the well known acceleration (multiple TSBs and fixes given), but oil sludge/oil tube replacement, and ecu remapping for emissions compliance), unless you're actively having a problem, my advice would be to just chill the F out. The world and sky isn't going to fall tomorrow. Your car isn't suddenly going to stop working just because you, the owner, now knows about a possible defect. Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge doesn't somehow cause your car to act differently.

If you care about your car, I'd actually wait for a little bit for Honda to figure out that they've completely solved the issue, (so you don't have to go in for multiple recalls) as well as for your local honda technician to become proficient at doing the repair.

Just like with a medical procedure you don't want to be the guinea pig figuring out the repair instructions.

I'll wait for my letter in the mail...and still maybe wait for a month before going in.

Last edited by raytseng; 02-18-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
My English was never very good, what's the difference between "must've known" and "did know"? Cause I thought if you must've known, then you DID know (but chose to ignore it).

Wait... WHAT?!?

You're not blaming Honda from the past, but today, because they NOW know of a defect from the past?

I'll be honest I was quite annoyed when this thread popped up, but if 555 is right, I'm probably not affected. And so, it should be quite obvious that I'm a little biased in the matter. That being said, it seems that you initially over-reacted and are now calming down a bit.
Without re-opening a can of worms...ahh..too late...

I was asked, Do I expect Honda to be able to predict the future? No. But I do think they can analyze a part, test it, and predict it's level of future failure.

Since Honda evidently changed the specifications for the part during production..which is why some Fits are NOT involved....

My guess is Honda did predict the future from the standpoint of analyzing the part, and it's potential for failure...and that is exactly what has led to this recall....

I'm not faulting Honda for going through the process of discovery and analysis...

You can't launch a campaign every time you get a handful of failures or complaints...

But simply...the fact that Honda HAS launched a campaign tells me that they do perceive a real problem...and it must be big enough to warrant the scale of the recall...

And by the way, I am disappointed..BUT I do give Honda credit for doing the right thing. Better a recall today...then 3 years from now a flood of prematurely failing engines and/or even accidents and fatalities...

Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, but ignorance about an issue, is not valid reason to not worry about it.
This has nothing to do with Ignorance. If honda waited until the date that they could actually accept anyone who wanted to come in to the dealer before putting out the recall, there would be much less paranoia. Half the people here are convinced that their FIT is going to die the day before the recall notice goes out. In some cases, Ignorance is not a bad thing.
Secondly, it REALLY shakes my confidence in Honda. Sure many automakers are involved in recalls to varying extent. But an engine part? That's failure can result in sudden stalling and/or engine damage?

In my way of thinking, when I was looking to purchase, within the subcompact class there were numerous choices. I paid a premium, to go with the Honda product...not exclusively, but in part because of Honda's reputation for quality. That reputation just took an enormous hit, IMO.
Why would their Reputation take an enormous hit? Part of quality is knowing when there is the potential for an issue and resolving it before it becomes an actual issue.
But I bought my Fit with the hope that as a Honda, a place they would NOT cut corners or drop the ball would be the engine. Evidently Honda did.

Will it all be alright? Now really that can only be defined in retrospect. It will take 100,000+ miles and perhaps years before anyone can really say, The engine is fine...

But I at least now have serious concern about what other area's or parts might be substandard that we simply are not being told about...
on the Italicized portion of the above. Isnt' this true about even new engines? If honda dropped a perfectly designed engine on the market today (lets call it an R20), wouldn't it take 100,000 miles and years before anyone could really say the engine is fine? The Difference now is that Honda found something that may become an issue and is opting to fix it now. Heck, do we even know how it was discovered? Maybe it was found to be a problem in the L15's used for racing and honda decided that it could become a problem in long term reliability of the fit and they want to fix it now.

Without re-opening a can of worms...ahh..too late...

I was asked, Do I expect Honda to be able to predict the future? No. But I do think they can analyze a part, test it, and predict it's level of future failure.

Since Honda evidently changed the specifications for the part during production..which is why some Fits are NOT involved....
this is where I have a slight issue. we do not know Honda changed the specs for the part during production. it may be that one spring manufacturer that they used to use had a different standard for which Honda now realizes needs to be changed. The thing is... we do not have definitive evidence on WHY the part was recalled and at what point that decision was made (or how they determined which fits etc...)

There's a lot of speculation flying around and too many variables.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 02-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
This has nothing to do with Ignorance. If honda waited until the date that they could actually accept anyone who wanted to come in to the dealer before putting out the recall, there would be much less paranoia. Half the people here are convinced that their FIT is going to die the day before the recall notice goes out. In some cases, Ignorance is not a bad thing.

Why would their Reputation take an enormous hit? Part of quality is knowing when there is the potential for an issue and resolving it before it becomes an actual issue.

on the Italicized portion of the above. Isnt' this true about even new engines? If honda dropped a perfectly designed engine on the market today (lets call it an R20), wouldn't it take 100,000 miles and years before anyone could really say the engine is fine? The Difference now is that Honda found something that may become an issue and is opting to fix it now. Heck, do we even know how it was discovered? Maybe it was found to be a problem in the L15's used for racing and honda decided that it could become a problem in long term reliability of the fit and they want to fix it now.

this is where I have a slight issue. we do not know Honda changed the specs for the part during production. it may be that one spring manufacturer that they used to use had a different standard for which Honda now realizes needs to be changed. The thing is... we do not have definitive evidence on WHY the part was recalled and at what point that decision was made (or how they determined which fits etc...)

There's a lot of speculation flying around and too many variables.

~SB
I'm just going to leave it. I think peoples reactions and opinions pretty polarized and if you disagree with my evaluation and reaction nothing I'm going to say is going to convince you.

Somebody within this thread either said or had a link to an article that said Honda had been studying the problem since the first few complaints were discovered...and in November of 2009 made a specification change to the spring...

Which would explain why "evidently" Honda Fits built after this date are not included in the recall...

But you are quite correct...lot's of specualtion.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Haha some ridiculous postings in this thread. Such feelings of entitlement amd outrage over a honda? Really, get over yourself, it's a $ 15000 car not $ 15million car. It's not even an Acura... If you really are so outraged just sell your car and be done with it

the only other time I've heard such a ridiculous sense of entitlement was hearing about someone who expected their insurance company to basically keep an identical new car in storage for them in case of an accident

Old 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Haha some ridiculous postings in this thread. Such feelings of entitlement amd outrage over a honda? Really, get over yourself, it's a $ 15000 car not $ 15million car. It's not even an Acura... If you really are so outraged just sell your car and be done with it

the only other time I've heard such a ridiculous sense of entitlement was hearing about someone who expected their insurance company to basically keep an identical new car in storage for them in case of an accident
Entitlement? Where are you reading that? It's not entitlement...but for a lot of people, myself included, even a $15,000-$19,000 dollar purchase represents a significant investment. Lucky for you if it represents so little to you...

I don't hear nor mean to represent either entitlement or outrage. BUT...I do think given I would define all the vehicles involved as under warranty and/or basically "new"...I do think as owners of even Honda's entry level vehicle we are "entitled" to an engine that is not at significant risk of premature failure of a specific component that could result in stalling..and/or engine damage. I would say Honda MUST agree with me, or they would not be giving 90,000+ people replacement parts and free labor...

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall