2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info guys...looks like the wife's Fit is included in the Recall...will look for the letter

Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
What makes you guys think that?

The GDs also use L15s, but the rocker layout is different in the GD vs GE. And the VTEC engagement rpm, the fact the GE has VTC, etc.

That layout DSM put up is the layout for GD L15s.

The rocker layout in the GEs has one rocker shaped like an L with the adjacent rocker inside of the L.
don't have shop manual for gd but the image do look like a 1.3

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 02-23-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno any more than that. All I can say at this point.

GDs (and the L15A1) aren't part of this recall. Just the GEs/L15A7s.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 PM
^^^ I'm kinda happy and sad to know that I'm not part of the recall... new LMSprings and free valve adjustments sounds too good to pass

Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
^^^ I'm kinda happy and sad to know that I'm not part of the recall... new LMSprings and free valve adjustments sounds too good to pass
i hope to get a free carwash too out of this

Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
i hope to get a free carwash too out of this
hope you enjoy those complimentary swirl marks that come with it!

Any who, big thanks to, Alpha. You the man!

I'm happy to say that I'm not included in this recall.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
That was an L15A1, from a GD3

I for a shot of the L15A7 (GE) and was going to go through the steps to get to the spring, but then I got dragged off to cook dinner and do some homework and fortunately you found that handy diagram and saved me some typing!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I dunno any more than that. All I can say at this point.

GDs (and the L15A1) aren't part of this recall. Just the GEs/L15A7s.
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That was an L15A1, from a GD3

I for a shot of the L15A7 (GE) and was going to go through the steps to get to the spring, but then I got dragged off to cook dinner and do some homework and fortunately you found that handy diagram and saved me some typing!
I think I figured out the issue... I had read about this, but obviously forgotten it.

The rocker design in the 1.5 for the GDs.... was used to "update" the 1.3L for the GEs.

Hence, L13A i-VTEC and L15A1 (VTEC) use the same rocker design (or similar according to this Honda L-Series SOHC i-VTEC Engines for the new GD Honda Fit/Jazz ).

Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by know-nothin
Say you get the letter from honda on 3/15 but you don't plan on going in until your 10k oil change. If your engine got damaged as a result of the spring many months after receipt of the letter, could they claim you did not act in a timely manner and deny you free repair? I know you're still under warranty but I'm asking if your lack of timely action somehow voids the warranty. Pretty unlikely but if it were me, I'd like to know for sure.
From the Gov:
"Owners should have the recall work completed as soon as possible. Recalls involving tires are specifically limited in the Safety Act such that the owner must have the recall work completed within 60 days of receiving notification that it must be done. All other safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product.
The Safety Act does not provide for reimbursement for damages that the defect or noncompliance may have caused. However, owners may be able to recover such expenses privately. Historically, most manufacturers will reimburse owners for the costs of repair incurred before the safety recall, if the owner has kept the receipts for service."

I'll add that I've never heard of damage to the vehicle caused by the recalled component not being covered. The main "damage" they're talking about is things like your house gettin burned down because of a fauly cruise switch.

Last edited by cargun; 02-23-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cargun
From the Gov:
"Owners should have the recall work completed as soon as possible. Recalls involving tires are specifically limited in the Safety Act such that the owner must have the recall work completed within 60 days of receiving notification that it must be done. All other safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product.
The Safety Act does not provide for reimbursement for damages that the defect or noncompliance may have caused. However, owners may be able to recover such expenses privately. Historically, most manufacturers will reimburse owners for the costs of repair incurred before the safety recall, if the owner has kept the receipts for service."

I'll add that I've never heard of damage to the vehicle caused by the recalled component not being covered. The main "damage" they're talking about is things like your house gettin burned down because of a fauly cruise switch.
I think you're misreading this note. There are 2 aspects

1) who is going to pay for the recall work
Per the act, manufacturer will pay for Tires for 60days, so go hoon your tires off for 59days, then get the new tires. For other recalls for the life of the vehicle.

2) who is going to pay for damages if you hit upon the problem described by the recall.
The damages here are mainly going to be on the vehicle, not other property.
Legally, the manufacturer does not have to pay, but privately they've taken the business practice of paying for any past repairs. If you fail to comply with the recall repair in a timely fashion, you may find that the manufacturer maybe less likely to pay for those damages.

If you had consequential damage to other property, you still maybe able to negotiate for it out of goodwill(but not required by the law, so your lawsuit isn't going to win).

Example:
I just got a recall notice today on my toyota related to potential leaking brake seal in the brake reservoir. The leaking fluid has the potential to damage the brake cylinder, if the leak occurs. By law, they are required to replace that seal at no charge, but not required for anything beyond that.

But, In that notice, toyota said their policy was that if the leak caused damage to the brake cylinder, they will replace that as well free of charge. And, if either the brake reservoir or brake cylinder was previously replaced they will pay for that upon submission of receipts.

so, if I ignored this then 2years down the road, and i had a busted brake reservoir and a corrupted brake cylinder, they are required by by law to still replace the brake reservoir seal no matter the timeframe. And their announcement suggests they will also still replace the cylinder (but not required by law).

Some other situations to consider: Chances of success may depend if the situation occurred pre-recall as compared to post-recall. And for Post-recall, probably gets less likely as more time was given to the owner to rectify the situation.

If the leaking fluid also caused paint damage, or ate through a few other hoses they may or may not pay for that, it maybe open to negotiation (other damage not mentioned in the announcement, maybe partial success here if it occurred pre-recall).

If this caused me to crash into another car, they may or may not pay for the repairs to my car or the other car(other consequential damage, maybe a slim chance of success, depending on the situation and PR consequence).

This caused my car to breakdown, this caused me to miss a job and I missed out on pay for several weeks, and/or rental car fees(other extremely consequential damage, probably no chance of success).

Last edited by raytseng; 02-23-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Called my dealer today: they need to get the rocker arm holder before they can start recalling.

For those waiting to piggyback other service, save the money and do whatever you can yourself, especially oil and filter replacement.

This is funny since I was noticing my engine getting louder at idle (tapping ). I was about to bring it in for a valve adjustement prior to hearing about the recall.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
I would not delay responding to the recall.
Do you need to be the first in line, no but I wouldn't wait six months either.
If one of those four little springs gives up the ghost and tangles itself in amongst the moving parts and that's why you're responding to the recall six months late you might pull it off, but why go there?

Protect your investment, have it promptly done.

EDIT: I'm wondering what a rocker arm holder is.... new one on me.

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 02-23-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'm wondering how wide spread the problem is. I searched the forum and found only one post (from Fits of Fury) about having this actually break on them. Of course, as soon as I get the letter I'll be banging on Concord Honda's door to get this done! Between then & now I won't worry to much about it.I'll be pissed if one of the springs does go on me, but I won't be losing sleep over it.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
This came across the wires this AM: 2.7M Autos Recalled
See - it could have been a lot worse ;-)

Old 02-24-2011, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks to people here for making this website a great resource for us Fit owners. This may have been answered before but I didn't see anything when I quickly skimmed through this thread.

Looks like 2009 Fits from VIN JHMGE8...9S000027 through 9S075923 are affected from what AlphaQuad posted. My Fit is an '09 with VIN JHMGE8...S0529XX, which if I'm doing my math right, appears to fall into that range. Yet, when I plug my VIN number into Honda's Recall Website, I get:

Is this just because the recall website/database hasn't been updated yet or are vehicles within that range that are not affected?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
it isnt fully updated.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Codger01 thanks for the lead. You get a star!

Here's what can happen if the LMS breaks. Interesting because at the time, 11/29/10, the chain of events wasn't clear. Now we know... get it fixed.

Originally Posted by Fits_of_Fury
The car has been fixed under warranty and is now back in my possession. It was found that the cam shaft was not turning with the crank. The cam sprocket bolt was found to be broken, and the crank had turned with the cam stuck in one position, so the pistons had hit the valves. They tore the engine down to find out more info.

"Found all 4 cam lobes for the #3 cylinder had severe damage, and camshaft could not be turned more than a half turn in either direction with a wrench. Found #3 lost motion spring had broken, and the hat that sits on top of the lost motion spring had come out of its bore in the rocker shaft assembly and become wedged beneath the front #3 exhaust cam lobe, preventing the shaft from turning. ...#2, 3, and 4 pistons all had severe damage"

The dealer wanted to replace the long block but apparently they don't make a long block yet for the 2nd gen fit because it is too new. They ended up replacing the cylinder head and short block. I also got a new clutch bearing out of the deal.

I still don't understand what "caused" all this to happen, but I'm guessing it's one of those one-in-a-million things where something wasn't quite right from factory. Exact mileage was 97,622km - I still have another 60,000km on warranty. All in all I'm happy with the way things turned out, it's just too bad I have to do another engine break in.
Quote from this thread:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ar-broken.html

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 02-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Codger01 thanks for the lead. You get a star!

Here's what can happen if the LMS breaks. Interesting because at the time, 11/29/10, the chain of events wasn't clear. Now we know... get it fixed.

Quote from this thread:https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ar-broken.html
Nice find! If I could +Rep you at the moment I would.

Thats pretty much worst case scenario but you get a new engine, bunch of service depending on mileage and TOB! As long as you took care of everything else it should feel like a brand new car.

They mentioned that the spring could deform or actually break, and this is the worst of what happens when the shrapnel from an actual break gums up the works..

My anecdote above was where nothing broke but the HLA seized and with a 200lb spring on one side, a .411" cam lobe above and no HLA on the other side it just kinda shot out and landed straddling one of the oil return galleys where it fortunately remained till I popped the valve cover the next day.

I had a 16 year old timing belt tensioner die and the intake cam slipped 12 teeth before I was able to kill the motor. Lost all 8 intake valves, but amazingly nothing else. Just a few shiny spots on the piston crowns that I polished out. Pulling the head and re-timing is never fun though.

So this won't necessarily happen where everything fails, but it is good incentive to get in and get it checked out before it becomes an inconvenience.

So when you get your notice schedule that appointment, do not wait if you can avoid it!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Bless Codger01 he found it.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Well I'm looking at 2010 Fit's right now and the vin #'s are all higher than what is in the "vehicles affected" section. So that makes me feel good....still have to bring the wife's Fit in though once we get the letter

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall