2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
where is this sticker located? i looked at my door sticker today and all i saw was the tire information, like PSI and tire size, i couldn't find a manufacture date.
It's a different (white) sticker from the one with the psi nos. It's lower down and facing out as you open the door. Mine says 10/09 so I'm probably going to be recalled. If only I'd bought my car a couple of months later!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Most of the recalls have been an easy fix. This is a bigger deal but not that bad. It seems that the recall is preventive maintenance to a future problem and you get the valves adjusted too.

As far as Honda being responsible, Its a business and fixing the problem instead of waiting gives them publicity weather its positive or not. It shows they are willing to lose money, but they get free advertising at the same time. Maybe they are trying to sell the CR Z and get the attention off of buying the Fit.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
fitchet Do a little looking into the NorthStar engine and blown head gaskets. GM knew of a head bolt issue w/ the N* for years. Thread pitch was not designed correctly and the bolts had a tendency to back out - thus loosen - and that is not what you want in an engine, quickly leads to a blown head gasket.

No recall was ever issued, thus all pre 2001 N* engines that went into $40K+ luxury cars are suspect. 2001 they changed the bolt design. Did all engines fail, hardly but it was a well known 'repair' issue.

What it shows is that manufacturers handle these issues in many ways.
Why did I finally buy a Honda?
There superlative reputation in building engines and cars. I trust them. [oops,... there I go again, sorry nothin_]

In the long term, it's really not about what you do, it's how you do it and I believe Honda is handling this situation respectably.
I'll raise my hand and say that one got me. My '97 Caddy had that engine and when the HG blew it was a matter of deciding whether it was just the HG at that point, or a cracked engine block as well. My mechanic suggested I don't spend a ton of money finding out- cut the losses and move on. And I did. I bought that immaculate car for 4,500 bucks from a guy who treated it like a baby. One year later, it screwed me. Really, a total loss. That was last bad decision I will ever make when it comes to cars. Soon after I bought the Fit. I'm not thrilled about a recall possibility, but so be it. Fix it, move on. There's too much other shit to stress over. This I will let go of and just get done.

Dan

Old 02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I'm NOT attacking anyone for "alleged speculation". I'm asking...do you know for sure??? Is it speculation? I actually think a forum, is a place for a degree of speculation and discussion....to an extent it is what a forum is about...

The only reason I ask, is because I am somewhat familiar with how quality control works within the auto industry. I will admit I am speculating, but for example, if Honda (or any manufacturer) determines there is a problem with component B....and it's failure could cause damage or even a fatality resulting in liability for the company...and they thus "officially change the specifications applied for that component...then they stop using the old component...they do NOT mix them..or simply use up the old components...

Once Honda discovered the problem I doubt they thought it was "no big deal"...making a change to the specifications of a component..engine..airbag..safety related...mid-production...then retro-actively applying a recall...which will be very costly...IS a big deal.

I'm speculating...but it's my contention it is more likely that there is a clear definable point engines produced up to this point...need the new springs....engines produced once the new springs where determined to be needed and the new springs were used..do not..

I'm doubtful that there was a period where Honda would "mix" components meeting specifications "A" and new components meeting specifications "B".

Am I sure? No. Because I don't work behind the scenes at Honda. I'm not in the factory building them. But it just seems logical to me, especially since failure of this part can evidently result in engine stalling...thus potential liability for Honda....that they wouldn't go "Good Enough...Lets just "Use Up" these last bits "O" bad springs...."

Could I be wrong? Certainly...already admitted..but I think within a discussion where I think speculation valid...the key is to be clear when you are speculating..and when you are presenting fact.
This will be my last post in this thread. I am sure you are an intelligent person in real life in your field of expertise or interest, but this is clearly an area in which you are talking out your ass. It really isn't as cut and dry as you are pretending. I don't feel like running through a full dissertation on how parts can wind up distributed across different samples of cars made even in the same plant, because you will just dismiss it as "speculation." Like you did with Goobers, who is absolutely spot on with what he is telling you. Not all opinions are equal, yours is off the mark. You need to cut your losses and leave this topic alone. Again, you sound ridiculous. You seem like a smart, nice person but this is clearly not an area that you are well versed in. It's like when people who have never built or tuned an engine chime in on other threads with how they "think" it works. Sometimes if you keep your mouth closed, you won't wind up with your foot in it. This is a topic where you should sit back and listen instead of appealing to what you "feel" about the situation. You also haven't listened to what I and others have tried to relate with regard to recalls and revisions and how difficult it is to track down stuff like what springs, bearings, HLA's etc went where. It really is not black and white like you are insisting.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-20-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Ugh why is my formatting so f*cked all the sudden? Won't even allow for quotation marks.. or breaks between sections.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Ugh why is my formatting so f*cked all the sudden? Won't even allow for quotation marks.. or breaks between sections.
maybe the browser? Or the server.

You see in my sig, there are three chinese characters (if you wanna know, google translate, hehe)... well, last night, while I was online, Chrome browser REFUSED to show the first character in my sig. If I copied it to some other spot in the browser or looked at a re-translation of it, it showed up fine!

Opened up IE or Firefox... shows up fine too! Eventually, Chrome decided to play nice.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Well-it is what it is deal with it! I'm not happy ---my local Honda dealer went out of business and its 120 miles to the closest dealer. I think Honda knowing this was coming could have coordinated a better information campaign. From what I have been reading some of the angst is over whether it is a problem with lubrication, design, or materials.
Some media reporting is indicating that they (Honda) will inspect and replace if necessary and other reporting is indicating they are going to replace all affected vehicles up to point they changed their specs. So I think Honda could have got out in front of this better explaining the problem and what the fix entails and could have offered some guidance on use of the vehicle until the problem is corrected. Just announcing the recall and indicating they will let you know if it effects you invites all kinds of speculation as to what is going on. HONDA PR should have been way out ahead on this to maintain confidence in their customer base. The "owner link" should have been coordinated with the public announcement.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Look back at my early posts in this thread and I've tried to explain the spring and its function. It has nothing more in life to do than provide positive pressure on the secondary rocker arm which sits idle 99% of it's life in most of our cars. In fact, unless you've brought the RMP's in your Fit above 5300K it's never been called on to do its thing in your Fit's engine.

The spring keeps the rocker in place to assure positive engagement when it's called for and to otherwise keep it from rattling around - hence the noise. If the rocker failed engagement when called for [buy oil pressure through the V-Tec engagement valve which pins the secondary rocker to the primary so the two act as one utilizing the secondary rocker lobe profile] because of a spring issue, there's a slim chance that a stall might be triggered, but in reality that's a long shot.
I made a thread in November about this same problem. When they say it may result in engine stalling, I'm pretty sure they mean as a side effect of total engine failure. When my engine went blooey I was definitely below 5300rpm so probably did not have v-tec engaged. It could have broken previously however, and the part rolling around inside didn't get jammed up into the wrong place till later on. I didn't hear any strange noises before or anything else that would indicate something was wrong. Just my two cents.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fits_of_Fury
I made a thread in November about this same problem. When they say it may result in engine stalling, I'm pretty sure they mean as a side effect of total engine failure. When my engine went blooey I was definitely below 5300rpm so probably did not have v-tec engaged. It could have broken previously however, and the part rolling around inside didn't get jammed up into the wrong place till later on. I didn't hear any strange noises before or anything else that would indicate something was wrong. Just my two cents.
Was it under warranty? That could be why the recall and explains why there is not alot of info.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
This will be my last post in this thread. I am sure you are an intelligent person in real life in your field of expertise or interest, but this is clearly an area in which you are talking out your ass. It really isn't as cut and dry as you are pretending. I don't feel like running through a full dissertation on how parts can wind up distributed across different samples of cars made even in the same plant, because you will just dismiss it as "speculation." Like you did with Goobers, who is absolutely spot on with what he is telling you. Not all opinions are equal, yours is off the mark. You need to cut your losses and leave this topic alone. Again, you sound ridiculous. You seem like a smart, nice person but this is clearly not an area that you are well versed in. It's like when people who have never built or tuned an engine chime in on other threads with how they "think" it works. Sometimes if you keep your mouth closed, you won't wind up with your foot in it. This is a topic where you should sit back and listen instead of appealing to what you "feel" about the situation. You also haven't listened to what I and others have tried to relate with regard to recalls and revisions and how difficult it is to track down stuff like what springs, bearings, HLA's etc went where. It really is not black and white like you are insisting.
Funny how if you agree with someone there opinion is "spot on" but of course if you disagree, then the other person "sounds ridiculous, should keep there mouth closed, and is talking out of there ass."

Quite frankly BS. I never made a statement saying I was correct or Goobers or anyone was "wrong". I simply asked....is this speculation or known fact? I kept it posed as a question...

Also, while I'll ADMIT to not having the full picture...I am NOT talking out of my ass...My father works for a company that provides components to Honda and other automotive companies. He works in quality control. I'll tell you what I DO know about recalls and quality control and components...

Once a part be it an engine spring, or airbag circuit, or accelerator pedal shim..is deemed faulty or substandard and it's failure in normal operation could result in an accident or a fatality...then it becomes a safety and liability issue for Honda. It's NOT restocking cold chicken with hot chicken at an all you can eat restaurant.

Honda THEMSELVES came to the determination that the specifications for this engine spring needed to be changed. They evidently implemented this specification change at a given point.

They cannot legally "mix" parts they themselves have found to be faulty or substandard in of which their failure could result in liability...

Again, my father works in QC...his job is multi-fold...but in general he is charged with certain responsibilities. 1. is to create a component that meets Honda's (or whatever manufacturers) specifications. 2. is to maintain and implement a system that monitors the continued quality of those components...making sure they continue to be created at the level of specification requested and desired. 3. To have safeguards in place to determine if a batch get's inadverdently produced that is substandard. To hopefully remove it from the supply stream...before it reaches Honda and/or get's installed in a vehicle...to avoid recalls..

Trust me...really it's NOT speculation..but if Honda changes the specifications for a part..if THEY decide to change the specifications because they foresee potential liability issues (stalling engines makes this recall fit that definition) they will not, cannot simply "use up dem bad parts"...the components will be removed from the supply stream A.S.A.P..

In Quality Control...if you determine a problem...you make the change as cleanly and quickly as possible...

This is NOT a situation where you can afford to be like a little kid cleaning his plate..."waste not, want not"...Once Honda determined a specification change was needed and should be implemented...at that point...the old chicken was bad......you throw it out...

I admit, my P.O.V. and information comes from what I've discussed with my father from his job and his P.O.V. which is as a supplier of components...

You want to disagree with me? Fine. Yeah, I could be wrong. Honda could of determined a change in specification should be implemented..but decided just to use up the last of the "bad" springs...???? But I doubt it.

What is clear...is what we ALL KNOW. Which is a LOT of Honda Fits have Lost Motion Springs that Honda themselves has decided should be replaced. We also know....some Honda Fits...produced after a certain date do not need this replacement. The only debatable issue is exactly how the transistion from spring A to spring B came about.

From my P.O.V....speculation and opinion, I would be very suprised IF Honda "mixed" parts....once they themselves determined a specification change was deemed.

But believe what you want to believe. Because I'll admit I can't prove it. But I know from a suppliers P.O.V. once something is deemed a safety issue...you cannot simply let the parts that are substandard be used knowingly...

So before you go accusing someone of talking out of there ass, make sure you aren't talking out of yours..

All I did was ask....Do you know this as a fact? If we are both speculating, and I believe we are...I leave it to individuals to determine the validity of either scenario....

Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Was it under warranty? That could be why the recall and explains why there is not alot of info.
Yeah, warranty.

I would also add it could be a safety concern if for example you were trying to accelerate through an intersection, say when making a left hand turn and suddenly stalled in front of oncoming traffic.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
What I have learned from this thread:

1. People who live in glass houses......should get dressed in the basement.
2. Mechanics who work at Honda dealerships run the gamut from chimps in overalls to Oxford graduates in tuxedos.
3. Honda engineers were present on the grassy knoll INDEPENDANT of Oswald.
5. I'll be contacted in March to schedule a repair to fix a potential problem.

Does that about cover it?

Last edited by 2ndFit; 02-20-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
It's a different (white) sticker from the one with the psi nos. It's lower down and facing out as you open the door. Mine says 10/09 so I'm probably going to be recalled. If only I'd bought my car a couple of months later!

ahhh i found the sticker! man that thing is sneaky. mine says 09/09 does that mean iam apart of the recall?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
ahhh i found the sticker! man that thing is sneaky. mine says 09/09 does that mean iam apart of the recall?
I don't think anyone knows for sure but it seems that 11/09 is the cusp. Everything after is ok, everything on or before is possibly defective. But this is all from pieced together info so hang tight and see how it works itself out. Honda will let ypu know if your'e recalled. That is basically all anyone can do at this point.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
Fitchet

There's one constant about your arguments.

You assume they knew it was faulty and ignore all other possibilities as to why they made a change.

Heres the reason I am banking on. They weren't sure of the long term issue. And so they changed the spec to something with a slightly larger margin of "error" (flexibility, whatever). They did NOT deem at the time that the old spring was faulty, only that it was possibly too stringent on the parameters.

You say I am speculating... Of corse I am, I don't work for Honda, nor was I present during the entire production life of every single Fit.

However, neither were you. You cannot constant include your speculation that they KNEW, while acting as if you're "weren't saying that at all."

Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Fitchet

There's one constant about your arguments.

You assume they knew it was faulty and ignore all other possibilities as to why they made a change.

Heres the reason I am banking on. They weren't sure of the long term issue. And so they changed the spec to something with a slightly larger margin of "error" (flexibility, whatever). They did NOT deem at the time that the old spring was faulty, only that it was possibly too stringent on the parameters.

You say I am speculating... Of corse I am, I don't work for Honda, nor was I present during the entire production life of every single Fit.

However, neither were you. You cannot constant include your speculation that they KNEW, while acting as if you're "weren't saying that at all."
I too shall speculate...

I agree on not knowing. The spring specification could have been changed to meet needs of other vehicles that the L15 is used in. (CR-Z, Freed, etc...) so they may have moved ALL L15's to the new spring type to buy in greater volume at a better discount. The same spring may also be used in the K20, K24, or any other engine in the lineup and the upgrade may have been done to meet those standards, AND THEN, the issue was discovered on the old springs.

Really, we just don't know.

I'm thinking about giving up cars all together because of this. Jetpacks. There's the future, Jetpacks.

~SB

Old 02-20-2011, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Screw jetpacks.

Beam me up Scotty!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
This sounds the most right to me. There's a wide range of options in between doing nothing and issuing a recall. If the issue were slightly less severe, they might have decided to upgrade the spring in future manufacturing, and being really generous with warranty and good will (ie out of warranty) work relating to the issue. There are more options than just everything is perfect and recall every vehicle.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is clear on this, but his dad works in quality control, and through genetics, he's inherited all knowledge of said subject.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitfirefighter
I'm not sure if anyone is clear on this, but his dad works in quality control, and through genetics, he's inherited all knowledge of said subject.
Does his eyes glow? Does he occasionally speak in a deeper voice and demand we worship him as a god?

hehe.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall