2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit bricked my iPod again

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Fit bricked my iPod again

So, this is the second time I find myself needing to pry my iPod apart after the Fit's iPod connection seems to have bricked it. It is stuck on, and not responding to ANY inputs. Short of splitting the case and disconnecting the battery, does anyone know why the Fit dock seems to do this, and what I can do to stop it from happening in the future?

My iPod is a Gen 5 iPod Video.

Thanks
Zach

Old 02-16-2011, 12:58 PM
By the way, I know I have seen others with similar issues here in the past, and the fix to get the iPod working again is easy. But it does require splitting the case open, which will void any warranty that you may have.

When the iPod is stuck on and will not respond to ANY controls, use a soft pry (like a guitar pick - and NOT a knife like I use...) and carefully pull it apart. There are two orangeish ribbon cables that will be connected to each case half, and you don't want to tear them.

One of the cables runs from the battery to an input on the main board. You can gently pull the cable from its input point, removing battery power and instantly shutting off the iPod. Wait a few seconds and GENTLY replace the ribbon cable. You iPod will then turn on as normal and work fine.

But its a pain the tush to do this little bit of surgery, and I'd rather not have to deal with it - but still use the integrated iPod doc and not the AUX input cable. If I have to I will go back to using the cable and a lighter charger, but that will annoy me greatly.

Zach

Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I've never had a problem with my 4th gen Nano in my '09 or my wife's '10, but I've had it freeze up before when connected to my PC

Did you try the soft reset first (holding middle button and back for 5-10sec)? Every time it's locked up this has worked for me. Never taken mine apart before though.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
My 2nd gen nano freezes sometimes and I just do a hard reset.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I have tried both the two finger salute on my iPod when it it gets like this, and neither of them work. The failure mode is something I had never seen before I got the Fit (and at this point I have used iPods for a decade), and I don't have much a clue why the Fit would be causing it.

When it freezes, the screen literally holds on whatever it was doing when it froze. At the point of freezing, it will not respond to any input what so ever, including a reset (hard or soft). You either have to wait for the battery to discharge, and then charge it back up, or you have to split the case can remove the power leads to cut power.

The iPod in question functioned flawlessly until 1 week after I bought the Fit and started using the doc. There have been other threads on this forum about iPods freezing on the doc, as I found when I searched for solutions the first time it happened. Its a weird issue, and I would love to find a cause and cure for it that allows me to continue using the in-dash doc and not the Aux In cable.

Zach

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Wink Just...

Another reason to like the Fit IMO...I hate Apple products, haven't had any problem with my flash drives.

It is probably some sort of proprietary Apple thing that is messing itself up rather than the Fit which they can only program to the specs that Apple gave them.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Correction... Alpine, not "Fit"

The HU in the Fit is an Alpine. There are issues across their range of players (actually other brands too).

I had installed an Alpine ida-x305 HU in the Pathfinder when I borrowed it, and it had multiple issues with the iPod also.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Correction... Alpine, not "Fit"

The HU in the Fit is an Alpine. There are issues across their range of players (actually other brands too).

I had installed an Alpine ida-x305 HU in the Pathfinder when I borrowed it, and it had multiple issues with the iPod also.
well, this is true for me. last night, i upgraded to iOS 4.2.1 on my phone and it killed the connection to my alpine x001 head unit. i can't fault the alpine, though. the connection has been working fine for each iOS firmware before this one.