2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: Should I stay with the 2010 Automatic or go with the 2011 Manual
Stay with the 2010 Taffeta White Sport Automatic
28.17%
Go with the 2011 Storm Silver Manual Transmission
71.83%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

AM I NUTS? Trading in my 2010 Fit Auto w/ only 210 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
I've owned Autos and Manuals... Whenever I owned a Auto I always wished it was a Manual. I have never owned a Manual and wished it was an Auto...

I also prefer silver over white, so the choice for me would be a no-brainer.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I own a 2010 Fit Sport automatic. So I'm NOT defaulting to the "He Should Like My Car" psychology.

My feeling is if you are already questioning, and already unhappy, make the switch. That's basically out the door mileage and you are already harboring regrets, so I'd invest the extra cost, otherwise you'll just end up losing even more money in about a year when you trade it in then...

I'm happy with my automatic, but I myself can tell that I think the Fit would be a blast as a manual. For me? It's not enough to make me want to make a switch..BUT...like I said, I think when you first purchase a car, you should be happy for at least a little while, if you already are not? Then make the switch and enjoy....

Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jashton
Well maybe not exactly.

I purchased a brand new 2010 Taffeta White Fit Sport with an automatic transmission this past Saturday. The long story short is I was convinced I needed to purchase an automatic. After just 125 miles on my ticker (the car had 85 when I purchased it), I really and I mean really started questioning my decision. I actually was getting quite upset. I felt that I out-thought myself into buying what was practical. In all reality this would be practical considering I will be driving at least 30,000 miles each year alone on business and may have rush our traffic in some situations.

So I called my Honda dealership and after a few minutes on the phone the salesman notified me a switch could be made. I found out today there are no available M/T Honda Fits in White (2010 or 2011). So I had him look up Silver and he was able to locate a 2011 Storm Silver Fit Sport with M/T.

After paying $17,900 OTD tax, tag, title etc. he notified me that OTD on the new fit I would be at $18,700 which would cost me a difference of $800 to ultimately cover the transfer of the vehicle from about two hours away along with some other BS. Anyways the mistake I made I kind of feel fortunate that it is only $800.

Some background on my car owning exp.

2004 Honda Civic Si
1999 Civic Hatch
2006 Ford Mustang GT (I still own this)
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
2008 Honda Civic Si
1993 Civic Hatch
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
1992 Civic Hatch

Every single car has been a manual transmission, but my dilemma still continues. Should I be rational and realize I should keep the 2010 Fit Auto because of my daily work situation or follow my car enthusiast path and say I can handle the rush hour traffic and extended daily driving time?

Help me verify my decision. The 2011 Fit M/T has been pulled for me until tomorrow when I give the Sales Manager my final decision.

I have posted a pole to see what you think. I would also love to hear from people who have a similar scenario as myself.

I know i'm nuts, but for almost 18 grand I want to be confident I made the right decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sorry, I actually bought the last 2011 TW Manual Sport Fit in Florida three weeks ago. I had looked everywhere and the only dealership to have one left was in Orlando, so I drove up there from Miami.

You are making the right choice. Manual is the way to go. I went through a few cars myself within the past couple years and couldnt figure out why the hell I settled for an Automatic on my last car since I knew I loved Manual and knew that it was so fun to drive.

If you're down a thousand dollars but have the car you now want. It is definitely worth it. Especially with the Fit. I say go for it and sorry for taking the last Manual TW in Florida. I hear shipment for the Manuals in TW will start coming in in a couple months or so, so thats up to you whether you prefer to get a Manual but in a different color. Then again, you're trading in the Auto now, which entails more money back for the car the faster you make your decision.

Last edited by SickFit; 02-16-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Go for it. We need someone to stimulate our crappy economy and high umemployment.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
As good as a fit sp

Old 02-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Sorry for the double post iPod doesn't like me but I was saying aside from the fit looking great I would NOT have bought it if it wasn't stick. I test drove both before the one I bought was on the lot. Totally worth it

Old 02-16-2011, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
Do it!! You'll have way more fun with the MT.
I TOTALLY disagree!

AT

- Best of both worlds (automatic shift, and paddle shifters for manual control when wanted/needed)

- No irritating whine/droning noise at high speeds on the highway due to a lack of sixth gear (Thanks, Honda! )

- No pain in the wazzoo constant shifting in heavy traffic

- Did I mention you can paddle shift, which makes it almost like a manual shift?

MT

- While I agree, manual shift has it's fun factors -- and I wouldn't purchase ANY "sports car" with 200 hp and above without MT -- I am so glad I got AT now instead of the MT I originally wanted... I'm glad for all the reasons above, and then some!

My vote? Keep the AT! What if you get the MT and then decide once again you wish you'd stuck with the AT? Going to be kinda' difficult a third time around... you're already losing money!

To each his/her own... but it's something to consider. You'll probably be happy with either... just more with one and less with the other... which ever one that turns out to be.

Good luck... choose wisely, grasshopper!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by annunC8
I TOTALLY disagree!

AT

- Best of both worlds (automatic shift, and paddle shifters for manual control when wanted/needed)

- No irritating whine/droning noise at high speeds on the highway due to a lack of sixth gear (Thanks, Honda! )

- No pain in the wazzoo constant shifting in heavy traffic

- Did I mention you can paddle shift, which makes it almost like a manual shift?

MT

- While I agree, manual shift has it's fun factors -- and I wouldn't purchase ANY "sports car" with 200 hp and above without MT -- I am so glad I got AT now instead of the MT I originally wanted... I'm glad for all the reasons above, and then some!

My vote? Keep the AT! What if you get the MT and then decide once again you wish you'd stuck with the AT? Going to be kinda' difficult a third time around... you're already losing money!

To each his/her own... but it's something to consider. You'll probably be happy with either... just more with one and less with the other... which ever one that turns out to be.

Good luck... choose wisely, grasshopper!
To each their own. My sisters AT is a snooze to drive, the paddles are simply not fun at all and it feels like even more of slug than it already is. The OP is already having regrets and I personally would not want be regretting a purchase as big as a car.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM
The response of some of the people and mainly the people givng reasons to keep the auto have reassured my decision. Also, I hate to even respond to one of the guys who posted go stimulate our economy, you are clearly incompetent and did not read my OP. I'm not actually trading in the car. They are simply cancelling the sale an I am paying more because the car is a 2011 and not a 10. After owning the car for one day I realized my mistake and called the next day two days after the sale.

Last edited by jashton; 02-16-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
If its already driven you this crazy, just get into the standard! Take it as fortunate that the dealership was willing to work with you and help you locate the one you wanted considering you already took the car off the lot and put miles on it, some dealerships just aren't that nice. Sounds like one of those things that no poll is going to help you with. What will help you, is getting a standard.

I was the opposite, my fit was my first automatic car. I enjoyed it and eventually I got curious if I would like the standard better. So I went to the dealership and was lucky because they had a sport identical to mine all the way down to the color, just with a stick. I drove it and was ecstatic because I found I had made the right choice, those little paddle shifters are just a lot more fun to me than a standard transmission, that and the rpm difference was noticeable to me, plus when I want to be lazy I can just relax in traffic. Paddles are nowhere near close to a manual transmission, but they add enough fun factor for me...

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Flip you are correct, but the ONLY reason I was having trouble deciding is because the amount and tpe of driving it entails. I have more so overcome that fear and know ive never second guessed the purchase of any of my past vehicles.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I know what you mean, I questioned also but not enough to consider it a second guess, more of a curiosity. Now if I would have enjoyed the standard more I definitely would have been. I was going by your first post when you said you were actually getting quite upset, I don't think anyone should be upset in a new Fit so go with what you love! Test drive the standard if you haven't already, and if you enjoy it more than the auto, go for it! That way you can be as happy as the rest of us. And to answer the initial question: No, you're not nuts lol

Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 AM
Do you miss your SI as much as I do? My vote goes to the manual!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
i love these threads, where someone asks manual over auto and all the manual heads come in and claim manual manual manual.

you are not crazy for wanting to trade in your auto for a manny for $800. if youre unhappy with your purchase you should trade for something that will satisfy you.

i also wanted a manual at first but, a taffy white in mt was hard to come by and after test driving the fit in both mt and at i chose the auto because then i could daily the fit without getting pissed off everytime im in bumper to bumper traffic and i can then get a weekender such as a subie or an s2k.

im all for manuals but, have you seen the people that drive our GE8 fits? they are mostly seniors, middle aged women, poor man who couldnt afford the civic(fit base), young girls, and lastly the greatest minority when it comes to fit owners... FF.net members, the fit enthusiast.

as for resale value i think the automatic would do better but, the mt would be more fun if its going to be your primary or only car.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Interesting point

a manual sport is hard to come by as it is the lot I was on had about 25 30 NEW fits and mine was the only MT now I have also noticed majority of guys in their mid to late 20s driving them

Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jashton
Well maybe not exactly.

I purchased a brand new 2010 Taffeta White Fit Sport with an automatic transmission this past Saturday. The long story short is I was convinced I needed to purchase an automatic. After just 125 miles on my ticker (the car had 85 when I purchased it), I really and I mean really started questioning my decision. I actually was getting quite upset. I felt that I out-thought myself into buying what was practical. In all reality this would be practical considering I will be driving at least 30,000 miles each year alone on business and may have rush our traffic in some situations.

So I called my Honda dealership and after a few minutes on the phone the salesman notified me a switch could be made. I found out today there are no available M/T Honda Fits in White (2010 or 2011). So I had him look up Silver and he was able to locate a 2011 Storm Silver Fit Sport with M/T.

After paying $17,900 OTD tax, tag, title etc. he notified me that OTD on the new fit I would be at $18,700 which would cost me a difference of $800 to ultimately cover the transfer of the vehicle from about two hours away along with some other BS. Anyways the mistake I made I kind of feel fortunate that it is only $800.

Some background on my car owning exp.

2004 Honda Civic Si
1999 Civic Hatch
2006 Ford Mustang GT (I still own this)
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
2008 Honda Civic Si
1993 Civic Hatch
1992 Mustang LX 5.0
1992 Civic Hatch

Every single car has been a manual transmission, but my dilemma still continues. Should I be rational and realize I should keep the 2010 Fit Auto because of my daily work situation or follow my car enthusiast path and say I can handle the rush hour traffic and extended daily driving time?

Help me verify my decision. The 2011 Fit M/T has been pulled for me until tomorrow when I give the Sales Manager my final decision.

I have posted a pole to see what you think. I would also love to hear from people who have a similar scenario as myself.

I know i'm nuts, but for almost 18 grand I want to be confident I made the right decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

Let's see if you feel that way after a few thousand miles on interstates at 4000 rpm and up instead of 3000 and getting fewer mpg.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
I'd make a positive comment about your decision, but last time I got something like minus 1,000,000 rep points for praising manuals. :-)

Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
wow i really like the gt and im not that big of fan of mustangs.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by annunC8

I'm sorry, I own an automatic sport with paddle shifters, and I've said it before, but the comparison between paddle shifters and an actual clutch and manual transmission is worlds apart.

There really is no comparison. Driving a real stick shift, with a real clutch is so much a different a feel and reality.

There definently is advantages and disadvantages to either configuration or choice. I'm happy with my automatic. BUT if you REALLY like driving a manual? IMO the sports paddles do NOT replace that reality.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
To each their own. My sisters AT is a snooze to drive, the paddles are simply not fun at all and it feels like even more of slug than it already is.
Personally, the Fit could definitely be faster, no doubt. Yet, to me it's really not as slow as I thought it was going to be. The fact that the car is so fun to drive allows me to be pretty darned forgiving of the slowness that's noticeable. If I wanted a much faster car, I would have purchased something else.

I understand where you're coming from though.

The OP is already having regrets and I personally would not want be regretting a purchase as big as a car.
Well, I completely agree on that note... I wouldn't want to be dreading my drive of a car I'm going to be stuck with for awhile... and constantly wanting to get rid of it.

Still, the MT isn't going to give him that much more of a boost over the AT.

I guess my point is, if he wants something noticeably faster than the AT Fit, then he should get a completely different car while he still can.

Quick Reply: AM I NUTS? Trading in my 2010 Fit Auto w/ only 210 miles!