2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Trim vs Fuel Grade

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think I am going to have a second glass... I think I am going to use it as a marinade for beef skirt when I make fajitas.... It would be good with a big bowl of menudo.... It is just a little too sweet to work with the jalapeno flavor.. It's hot but not so much taste wise but when going down the heat all of the way down.... Their muscadine grape wine taste just like homemade and both of them come complete with sediment settled at the bottom of the bottle... The more of this Jalapena stuff I drink the more I like it.... Old Milwaukee or Lone Star Beer, liberally doctored up with a cheap brand Louisiana hot sauce taste much, much better and is a bunch cheaper.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I don't think I am going to have a second glass... I think I am going to use it as a marinade for beef skirt when I make fajitas.... It would be good with a big bowl of menudo.... It is just a little too sweet to work with the jalapeno flavor.. It's hot but not so much taste wise but when going down the heat all of the way down.... Their muscadine grape wine taste just like homemade and both of them come complete with sediment settled at the bottom of the bottle... The more of this Jalapena stuff I drink the more I like it.... Old Milwaukee or Lone Star Beer, liberally doctored up with a cheap brand Louisiana hot sauce taste much, much better and is a bunch cheaper.
I guess the recall was not a big deal after all, time to party.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Today I'm still trying to understand. Check me if I'm wrong, bear with me if I'm slow...

Fuel trim is something I can see and almost understand.
It is the injector duration factor based on a 'factory mapped' base line.

It is effected by the way you drive and, not by the 'grade' of fuel but, the oxygenation of the fuel. [10%ethanol]
It's primary determiner is the primary O2 sensor, however, other factors effect it.

It's almost time to move on to timing... but that's another thread I think, but here's a teaser.

So, in one of those verbose fuel threads not long ago I was at the point of somehow understanding that my 2010 FIT could 'take advantage' of premium grade fuel.

Timing curves would be adjusted... hmm.
This is interesting news to me for some of the reasons I've just seem posted in this thread.

Most stock set-ups will retard timing if a lower than designed for octane is used - how you say knock sensor.
Never knew of one that would advance, so, in my mind, the stock 'factory mapped' timing tables in my FIT are thought to be established for a higher than minimum octane...

Am I getting close?

I will continue to do the trim/grade thing. Curiosity has got me...
I agree that the fuel trim is injector duration, but they use a test fuel somewhere in the middle of the specific gravity of regular and ultra premium around .750. If they used regular it could not use other fuels and the same for premium. So its not based on octane. All grades of pump gasoline has a burn rate rate of 14.2 to 14.7 give or take a few percent. 10 percent ethanol is 3.5 percent oxygen so thats 7 percent more gas needed to bring the fuel air to 14.7 lambda. Also premium is denser than .750 so less fuel is needed and then the knock issue.

Its easier to drive with premium because there is no knock and no knock retard timing to lose power. Ive seen that my total timing is less with mid grade compared to premium. Knock can occur at any rpm and loads. The fit and most ecus goes into open loop at loads higher than 70 percent when knock happens and more fuel 11.1 fuel air to cool down the burn. Its so rich that power is down and the EGR and Cat are working to clean up the extra fuel and bad mpg results. Running premium Ive seen it stay in close loop except full throttle and even then its running leaner per dyno sheet 14.2. Then you have cam advance and that based on knock and fuel too. Thats why running MBT is what the manufacture wanted but with laws, they use the lowest common denominator to sell the car.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 02-22-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
I always thought menudo came after the party........ I do like the sound of the marinade though.

My sis lives in a small town called croton-on-the-hudson and they have a little ice cream shop called the pig. The pig lady makes a chocolate jalapeno ice cream every now and again that is to die for. Starts out really nice, then it slowly comes on. When you first mentioned the wine it's what came to mind, but then I thought - no that might not be too good.

But it could help a skirt taste nice. You even been ice fishing?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
I always thought menudo came after the party........ I do like the sound of the marinade though.

My sis lives in a small town called croton-on-the-hudson and they have a little ice cream shop called the pig. The pig lady makes a chocolate jalapeno ice cream every now and again that is to die for. Starts out really nice, then it slowly comes on. When you first mentioned the wine it's what came to mind, but then I thought - no that might not be too good.

But it could help a skirt taste nice. You even been ice fishing?
Never did ice fishing but this Sweet Heat would be nice to take with me if I was to.... It does warm your innards... This stuff starts bad but the warm feeling inside over rides the taste and drinking it gets better and better... I'm betting myself that I will sleep well for a change....I have loved Jalapenos since I was about 11 The fresh ones are a little to hot for me if I don't cut them open and remove the seeds.... It is hard to find a Mexican joint that serve green salsa these days... I know of one in Dallas and wish I was there.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
My preferred warm-up ice fishing is Yukon Jack. Do need to be careful though, it can make you so slippery you can end up through the ice hole.

Just found the winery - I can see why you went for the Jalapeno, that stuff is good for a bunch of things. I'd go for some of that Texas Moonlight. I'm always loving local grapes - good resource.

Gotta always check the fuel trims...

Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Mid grade fuel trims are holding at -2.3 for both, ST and LT trims. Ive noticed the timing is lower especially at idle. Acceleration is poor and hard to hold higher speed on the highway with out pressing further down on the pedal. With premium I barely touched the pedal and often had to release the pedal due to faster acceleration. I also noticed that when the Barometric pressure went down it has the same result as adding higher octane, fuel trim pulled more fuel, went to -4.7 LT and ST -1.6 to -14.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
To keep current here, I've switched to Sunoco Ultra93 [10% ethanol] and will keep an eye on the fuel trims, though I'm coming to understand they most likely won't change much.

02/26 fill-up statistics - 341.9 miles on 8.931 gal = 38.28 MPG

Observations - I'm thinking I'm feeling a bit more pep-in-the-step from my FIT.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I just hooked up the scangauge to my wife car(same as mine). I was surprised that at full throttle the timing was 22 and not 27 I get with premium. The fuel mpg would not go higher than 57 and averaged 33. Mine would be in the 65 range and average closer to 40. I didn't reset it because same type of car. Even though its like the OBC in the Fit from actual mpg but still gives me a rough idea. I also noticed bigger swings of timing never going higher than 48 even at cruise it was all over the place. My car it stayed steady. I know its not scientific but the number swing is noticeable and different from mine.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Curb your tongue - it's an UltraGauge, I find myself doing that all the time ;-)

I've noticed the unit calms down after running it for a time.
Utlra93 is putting my timing advance @ 48 at a highway cruise.
It does fluctuate but at a constant load/speed it's rather steady.

LTFT is seeming to settle into a +7 range.
I'll soon be taking a 600mile trip over to Canada. Lot's of time to watch the numbers.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Curb your tongue - it's an UltraGauge, I find myself doing that all the time ;-)

I've noticed the unit calms down after running it for a time.
Utlra93 is putting my timing advance @ 48 at a highway cruise.
It does fluctuate but at a constant load/speed it's rather steady.

LTFT is seeming to settle into a +7 range.
I'll soon be taking a 600mile trip over to Canada. Lot's of time to watch the numbers.
I have both, the Ultra Gauge is in my car but I put the SG in wifes car. Sorry. Ive had the car and SG for a year so I know the numbers. I wish I put the ultra gauge in for the fuel trims. I did notice the timing fluctuating more and the same with the mpg compared to when it was in mine at cruise. I know its confusing but I was able to keep a eye on the gauge the whole trip.

So your trims are going leaner. Thats better but it should be near 0. Maybe because the gas I use is the reason its around 0.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
My fuel trims are staying steady. When I filled up at a different Bp, the fuel trims went to -4.7 and ST -.78 to -10. Then it just stabilized at -3.1 -3.9 for both. I got 34 mpg and the mpg was off by 2 on the ultra gauge, the gauge read 32. Right now its 34 so 36 is what I expect this week. Its around 40 degrees outside and the IAT is 20 degrees higher and it goes into close loop in 30 seconds at 40. The engine is quiet and the shifts are firm. Timing is up a little but not like in the summer.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a good read on fuel trim and ethanol blends. http://www.crcao.com/reports/recents...ort_031210.pdf

Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb Conclusions

A month of watching fuel trims and running premium fuel has shown me that there's no solid effect on the trims using premium over regular fuel.

I just returned from a 1K mile round trip to Maine running Ultra93 and was able to watch over time and distance and they're running where they always have on
Regular87.

Not sure why my 2010 FIT runs trims in the plus 9 range, but my guess is it might have something to do with 10% ethanol. Thank you Silver for the great links.

ECU factory tune might very well have been set using regular fuel - no ethanol. If ethanol goes to 15 or 20% that might be an issue.

It was an interesting exercise in running premium and my UltraGauge did show me an increase in timing advance on premium and that feels good to the butt dyno.
I also think it returns a better MPG overall, like others have noted but the skeptics say isn't so, or if it is it isn't 'worth it'.

It becomes subjective for the most part - now what to monitor next on the UltraGauge.?.?.?.

Thanks to all for the input and feedback.

K_C_

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 03-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
I seen a other thread on fuel trims and they say 10 percent too. Must be a fit thing. I used the ultra gauge on a few different cars and seen the fuel trims similar to mine but only 30 gauges available. I have 50 gauges available. The part I dont understand is the 10 percent positive fuel trims. That means the ecu adds fuel which is not good to the motor overall and might explain the coil failure problems from over heating. Lean mixtures also require higher octane to prevent knock.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I seen a other thread on fuel trims and they say 10 percent too. Must be a fit thing. I used the ultra gauge on a few different cars and seen the fuel trims similar to mine but only 30 gauges available. I have 50 gauges available. The part I dont understand is the 10 percent positive fuel trims. That means the ecu adds fuel which is not good to the motor overall and might explain the coil failure problems from over heating. Lean mixtures also require higher octane to prevent knock.
I've had time to experiment with lean vs rich both in and out of boost. What I've found is that this engine could care less about your afr as long as you don't start knocking. There is much power in the timing however. In boost 5 degrees timing makes what feels like 20 hp worth of power by the butt dyno.

But back to your statement, you are right about the symptoms of lean burn but the car is not actually running lean. The +10% is what keeps it running at stoich-ish the only way it'll run lean is if the o2 fails. Preboost I had a +9-12 ltft stft but even in open loop I still ran around 13.5 afr.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I've had time to experiment with lean vs rich both in and out of boost. What I've found is that this engine could care less about your afr as long as you don't start knocking. There is much power in the timing however. In boost 5 degrees timing makes what feels like 20 hp worth of power by the butt dyno.

But back to your statement, you are right about the symptoms of lean burn but the car is not actually running lean. The +10% is what keeps it running at stoich-ish the only way it'll run lean is if the o2 fails. Preboost I had a +9-12 ltft stft but even in open loop I still ran around 13.5 afr.
I would like to see the actual fuel air instead of volts, and fuel trims. I understand that the LTFT at 9 percent automatically add 9 percent so its not actually running lean at that point. I will understand it fully as time goes on. I feel the added timing performance too and thats worth the price alone of premium. THANKS for the clarification.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
A month of watching fuel trims and running premium fuel has shown me that there's no solid effect on the trims using premium over regular fuel.

I just returned from a 1K mile round trip to Maine running Ultra93 and was able to watch over time and distance and they're running where they always have on
Regular87.

Not sure why my 2010 FIT runs trims in the plus 9 range, but my guess is it might have something to do with 10% ethanol. Thank you Silver for the great links.

ECU factory tune might very well have been set using regular fuel - no ethanol. If ethanol goes to 15 or 20% that might be an issue.

It was an interesting exercise in running premium and my UltraGauge did show me an increase in timing advance on premium and that feels good to the butt dyno.
I also think it returns a better MPG overall, like others have noted but the skeptics say isn't so, or if it is it isn't 'worth it'.

It becomes subjective for the most part - now what to monitor next on the UltraGauge.?.?.?.

Thanks to all for the input and feedback.

K_C_
I really like the ultra gauge. Ive used it on a few Chevys to clear codes and notice the fuel trim -1.6 on both and that the pickup truck I used it on the ecu stayed in open loop until the engine temps got to 140 degrees. It had a p0300 but the 02 and every thing else seemed to working right, the only thing was a KN filter next to the MAF which the oil could cause a misfire.

My car goes into close loop in a few seconds after starting, a little longer in sub zero temps. Running ethanol blend in there now and noticed a hard starting and rough running engine but the fuel trims are the same for the most part. I got 35 last tank with BP and expect to average a lot lower with the premium I got in there now. So going out of way is still cheaper in the long run to get better gas.

I think Lyon figured it out with the bigger stock injectors. The Coil failure has me baffled but think its related to carbon and hotter spark plug temps. There also is a new tech ION sensing coils, but dont know if thats what the Fit uses. They might use it because of the advance ecu and no real tune (Hondata) available.