2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

other Fit resources?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
other Fit resources?

Hey everyone

thinking of a 2011 fit maybe

the sub forums here don't always have alot of info on the second gen

is there another forum I should check?

Thanks

Will

Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
And what info would you be looking for? Search box is your friend.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hum...

Honestly... based on your name... I'm leaning towards recommending you NOT buy the Fit.

Forget that its a small, roomy, fuel efficient hatchback that is fun to drive (on twisty roads).

But instead consider this... a number of forum members have bought Fits and are now in the process of selling theirs (or already sold there's).

Question is... why? Where they expecting something from the car, it couldn't provide? Like the racing speeds of their previous S2000s/RSX/etc? The snow/ice handling of their previous AWD Subarus? Some say that they KNEW what the Fit was/wasn't capable of... so, were they expecting themselves to adjust to it?

The fact your name is 3cyltrbo (even if you put it jokingly) indicates to me, you have a higher chance of being one of the folks that will sell the fit for something else in only a few years. Figure out if I'm right... and if so, save yourself the depreciation of the Fit, and buy that car you would've gotten instead.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I guess going by my SN i shouldnt have bought a Fit either haha.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BoostTed
I guess going by my SN i shouldnt have bought a Fit either haha.
if you've been considering trading in the Fit for the CR-Z... or buying a used S2000... then... yea.

But, I did NOT say the name was a "definite" indicator... only that some folks value speed and/or other things and might say so with their name.

Like I said, "higher chance," not guarantee.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
if you've been considering trading in the Fit for the CR-Z... or buying a used S2000... then... yea.

But, I did NOT say the name was a "definite" indicator... only that some folks value speed and/or other things and might say so with their name.

Like I said, "higher chance," not guarantee.
Im just giving you a hard time. Ive had a few fun cars in the past, s2000 included. But yea I get what you are saying, if the Fit was my only car I'd get bored as hell too.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by Vanct
And what info would you be looking for? Search box is your friend.
Believe me, I have done searchs and extensive browsing.

It just seems like something is still missing.

Compared to some other forums I frequent, it seems like the GE subforums are an afterthought and not as heavily populated because perhaps everyone with a GE goes to another site (that I haven't found) more often????

Cheers

Will

Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Hum...

Honestly... based on your name... I'm leaning towards recommending you NOT buy the Fit.

Forget that its a small, roomy, fuel efficient hatchback that is fun to drive (on twisty roads).

But instead consider this... a number of forum members have bought Fits and are now in the process of selling theirs (or already sold there's).

Question is... why? Where they expecting something from the car, it couldn't provide? Like the racing speeds of their previous S2000s/RSX/etc? The snow/ice handling of their previous AWD Subarus? Some say that they KNEW what the Fit was/wasn't capable of... so, were they expecting themselves to adjust to it?

The fact your name is 3cyltrbo (even if you put it jokingly) indicates to me, you have a higher chance of being one of the folks that will sell the fit for something else in only a few years. Figure out if I'm right... and if so, save yourself the depreciation of the Fit, and buy that car you would've gotten instead.
I'll address the issues of what my current daily driver is, in another thread.

The username 3cyltrbo comes from my Canadian Market (CDM?)
1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint (in the USA you had the crappy Geo Metro instead)

It was my first car, its been in the family since new and believe me when I say that it is a much more capable car than the Fit - but I'm not crazy enough to think its the quickest thing on the road.

Name:  DSC_0790.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  99.5 KB

(in this pic its got different wheels (from the 96 JDM Teg Type R)

Name:  DSC_0822.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  105.5 KB

Old 02-12-2011, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Dude, that's sex on wheels.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo
Believe me, I have done searchs and extensive browsing.

It just seems like something is still missing.

Compared to some other forums I frequent, it seems like the GE subforums are an afterthought and not as heavily populated because perhaps everyone with a GE goes to another site (that I haven't found) more often????

Cheers

Will
This has been discussed a few times and I'm glad you brought it up as a new member. For some reason, those who run the forums don't seem to think this is the case but you as a new member have brought this exact issue up. Even as a "longer-term" member, I can tell you that the GE forums here ARE and afterthought (even though in the US, the GE has been around longer than the GD and there are, I believe, More GE Drivers than GD on this board). The forum here has a decent amount of info and very helpful/knowledgeable members but it is disorganized and has a feeling at times like it has been left out to dry (note the "announcement" at the top about the GE/GD debate - for which I have NEVER seen this come up in discussion in my time here - yet it remains.)

Tack on your thoughts/opinions in the Site feedback forum for which you'll see a few posts on this topic.

welcome to the forum and I hope we don't see you go...

~SB

Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
I'll address the issues of what my current daily driver is, in another thread.

The username 3cyltrbo comes from my Canadian Market (CDM?)
1990 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint (in the USA you had the crappy Geo Metro instead)

It was my first car, its been in the family since new and believe me when I say that it is a much more capable car than the Fit - but I'm not crazy enough to think its the quickest thing on the road.

(in this pic its got different wheels (from the 96 JDM Teg Type R)

I realized I hadn't asked about your current ride, but the pic does provide important information.

I had not decided on whether you are someone that would sell the fit in a year or two. But if I were to say... based on that pic... you're pretty close. Those members that I mentioned selling their Fits... at least a couple of them, put mod after mod on their car. Some performance, some aesthetic... now, they part the car and sell everything... the mods, piece by piece.

Just to be clear... I'm not judging you... I'm asking YOU to judge yourself. If you're fairly confident that you'll keep the car long enough that the amount of money you lose on depreciation averages out per day less than gas (I plan on keeping mine till it falls apart). By all means, buy the Fit. If not... well, up to you.

Originally Posted by specboy
This has been discussed a few times and I'm glad you brought it up as a new member. For some reason, those who run the forums don't seem to think this is the case but you as a new member have brought this exact issue up. Even as a "longer-term" member, I can tell you that the GE forums here ARE and afterthought (even though in the US, the GE has been around longer than the GD and there are, I believe, More GE Drivers than GD on this board). The forum here has a decent amount of info and very helpful/knowledgeable members but it is disorganized and has a feeling at times like it has been left out to dry (note the "announcement" at the top about the GE/GD debate - for which I have NEVER seen this come up in discussion in my time here - yet it remains.)

Tack on your thoughts/opinions in the Site feedback forum for which you'll see a few posts on this topic.

welcome to the forum and I hope we don't see you go...

~SB
I don't get how you can say the GE has been around longer than the GD. Yes, the GD was only available for 2 years before being "replaced" by the GE, which is now entering its 3rd year of availability... but it's still two years PRIOR to the release of the GE. That means that it has had more time for people to flush out info about the car and stuff you can do/add to the car.

Is the GE section an "afterthought"? Yes it is, but probably not for the reasons you cite.

I can't say for sure why, but I think one possibility is simple... that the site creators had originally intended there to be JUST a Fit forum... not a sub-section for GD and then GE. Realistically, we don't need separate sub-sections... the cars, while they have their differences, aren't completely different (not like a Civic vs Accord). But, having separate sections does help (when the title is clear, 08-US NOT GE) for the differences they do have.

One of the forum mods is "JDMChris"... why is it you think he would visit the GD section more than the GE? I dunno, maybe cause he has a GD? I'm sure if the mods had GEs, they'd have more presence in the GE sections. It's just a simple fact, they have GDs, so they'll visit GD sections more, not on a "mod" level... but just as another member of the forums. And the more they visit an area, it's natural, the more likely they'll notice what's going on.

This is an enthusiast forum, moderated by enthusiasts... not people, whose sole job is to police the site.

Oh... and you've been a member of this site for all of two months longer than I have... which incidentally is over a year AFTER the initial availability of the GE chassis on US soil... that is ALSO 1 year after its availability in Japan.

Do you really think they'd wait 2+ years to "debate" whether they like the GD vs the GE? They could've had the entire "flame wars" engulf the entire site and then have the mods clean up and restore the site in less than a week.

Just because YOU don't see it... doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If you want more mod presence in the GE sections... either ask to be nominated... or ask the mods to find someone from the GE sections that wants the job AND is trusted by most of the forum members.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
OP, I agree totally with Goobers about making sure the fit is right for you and give two thumbs up for trying to find out more info before buying. Make sure it is right for you before buying. Unfortunately, there aren't many modifications available for the USDM GE so anyone interested in modding has either had to put a LOT of work, R&D into their FITs or has traded for another vehicle. The fit is a FUN toss-able vehicle as is and there are a few upgrades available (mostly in the suspension arena).

I don't get how you can say the GE has been around longer than the GD. Yes, the GD was only available for 2 years before being "replaced" by the GE, which is now entering its 3rd year of availability... but it's still two years PRIOR to the release of the GE. That means that it has had more time for people to flush out info about the car and stuff you can do/add to the car.
Yes, thank you for correcting me on this point. The GE has been available as a new car in the US now for a longer period of time than the GD. Obviously, a 2007 vehicle has been around longer than a 2009 but at this point, the GE is either overtaking (or has already overtaken) the GD in sales number and unlike the GD, is only going to increase.
Is the GE section an "afterthought"? Yes it is, but probably not for the reasons you cite.

I can't say for sure why, but I think one possibility is simple... that the site creators had originally intended there to be JUST a Fit forum... not a sub-section for GD and then GE. Realistically, we don't need separate sub-sections... the cars, while they have their differences, aren't completely different (not like a Civic vs Accord). But, having separate sections does help (when the title is clear, 08-US NOT GE) for the differences they do have.
Realistically the GE subforum should never even have been an "afterthought" - even if my reasons are totally wrong... I'm sure they aren't dead-on but I don't think I'm that far off. (but I could be). JDMchris or one of the other Mods stated in a previous discussion somewhere [when they split off sub-forums] that they initially didn't want to separate the sections because they wanted information to be shared between generations and create one community. while I can respect the intent to keep members tied together in a community, it is misguided in terms of organization and cannot support the forum long term. Those areas that cross over should be grouped together (autoX, audio & ICE, Economy & hypermiling, etc...). The GE & GD from a mechanical standpoint are different vehicles and the GE has more in common with an insight or the CR-Z than the GD so it makes no sense for the GE to be a sub-forum of the GD (not saying that the GE & GD don't have some similarities just not enough - a Fit EV, shuttle, or hybrid would be a subsection of a GE)
One of the forum mods is "JDMChris"... why is it you think he would visit the GD section more than the GE? I dunno, maybe cause he has a GD? I'm sure if the mods had GEs, they'd have more presence in the GE sections. It's just a simple fact, they have GDs, so they'll visit GD sections more, not on a "mod" level... but just as another member of the forums. And the more they visit an area, it's natural, the more likely they'll notice what's going on.
... As I would expect. I have a little interest in the GD forums so I visit the GD threads periodically. I also have a little interest in other Honda vehicles so I visit other forums. I wouldn't expect someone who owns a GD to visit GE forums more than GD unless they were unhappy with the GD and wanted a GE.
This is an enthusiast forum, moderated by enthusiasts... not people, whose sole job is to police the site.

Oh... and you've been a member of this site for all of two months longer than I have... which incidentally is over a year AFTER the initial availability of the GE chassis on US soil... that is ALSO 1 year after its availability in Japan.
Correct, this is how most forums are run. I can't think of one who has paid moderators who make a living off of it. (maybe Dell has a few on their own forums.. who knows) and your numbers are correct on when I signed up.
Do you really think they'd wait 2+ years to "debate" whether they like the GD vs the GE? They could've had the entire "flame wars" engulf the entire site and then have the mods clean up and restore the site in less than a week.

Just because YOU don't see it... doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Of note, Just because my join date is posted, doesn't mean that there hasn't been a decent amount of lurking prior. There's a reason my join date coincides with the date of purchase of our FIT. My wife & I researched both the GD and then later the GE. The GD didn't fit our family at the time with a Mid-sized car being needed. As my son got older, a smaller vehicle became more possible and hence the GE in the family. I have never had a desire to join a forum for a vehicle which I did not own. I like the Element & the Civic Si, but I am not members of any element or civic specific forums (even though We did own a Civic - I was on VTEC.net and spent most of my time in the Integra section)

As for the flame war... it obviously happened (why else would there be an announcement?) and likely more than once shortly after the GE was introduced. My point was, it hasn't happened that I have seen in my entire time here and isn't necessary to have posted any more. It should be in the rules & Regs as part of the "history" of the site and if it is an issue in the GD section, put it as a sticky there. It should be part of the Site maintenance that occurs.
If you want more mod presence in the GE sections... either ask to be nominated... or ask the mods to find someone from the GE sections that wants the job AND is trusted by most of the forum members.
I'm not looking for more Mod presence in the GE forums (I'm not sure where that came from or what good that would do for organization of this forum) and I don't have the time or nor do I have the ability to dedicate myself to being a MOD. If I could, I would but i'm not going to sign up (or even try) when I cannot guarantee that I could regularly be on the site (which would only be fair to this forum's members).

My goal (as can be seen in the Feedback thread) is to assist when possible with improving the site. I have (what I think) is valuable experience & feedback which might be useful as I have been on this forum for a little while now and have been on others for over a decade.

As you also may note, the OP as a new member is seeing (and verbalizing) some of the issues that I'm guessing many new members are running into. This info can be great and extremely helpful. New members can often see things that long term members have begun to just "accept" or get used to.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 02-13-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I realized I hadn't asked about your current ride, but the pic does provide important information.

thats not my daily driver, its just one of my toys.

I had not decided on whether you are someone that would sell the fit in a year or two. But if I were to say... based on that pic... you're pretty close. Those members that I mentioned selling their Fits... at least a couple of them, put mod after mod on their car. Some performance, some aesthetic... now, they part the car and sell everything... the mods, piece by piece.

Just to be clear... I'm not judging you... I'm asking YOU to judge yourself. If you're fairly confident that you'll keep the car long enough that the amount of money you lose on depreciation averages out per day less than gas (I plan on keeping mine till it falls apart). By all means, buy the Fit. If not... well, up to you.
I'm gonna leave the "what I drive / should I downgrade" conversation for another thread.

Personally, in this thread I was trying to find out if there is a GE specific message board somewhere that I didn't know about.

Clearly there isn't

Cheers

Will

Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'm gonna leave the "what I drive / should I downgrade" conversation for another thread.
I didn't say anything a "downgrade." Or to compare this car with any other car. I bought this car because I like it and I hope I can use it for a very long time. I don't always understand what other people think, but it doesn't mean I think their decisions (on buying other cars) are anything less than my decision on buying this car.

I'm just hoping you're not like those that have bought the car, come here for a while, putting all kinds of stuff on their car and then sell their car/parts and leave. (some people have too much money on their hands).

As for the forums... in my opinion, this site seems like the most likely source for GE specific information. There's one other site that I come across when I search for any info, but it doesn't have a sub-section for the the GE chassis (heck, I thought it didn't even have one for the Fit, but it does). There are a couple of other Fit specific sites out there I found just now on google... but the WHOLE site feels like an afterthought. One specifically, is part of a network of other sites in the same vein.