2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I am in a "fit" of anger!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by north1

...and the rims have a very large flat step on the inside which also collects allot of debris. You would think engineers would realize this could represent problems. Especially with people travelling on gravel roads in the country.
Because of the front wheel drive geometry, the wheel hubs have to be closer to the outside face of the tire. Due to this, there is indeed a flat step inside the wheel.
Moon

Old 02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
"...there is indeed a flat step inside the wheel.." (Moon)

(For some reason) this caught me by surprise and forced the cancellation of an out of town trip today after the ice issue couldn't be solved at either the under spray automatic or hand car wash (wasn't dressed to deal with it anyways).

Has anybody ever come up with the correct angle tool(s) to simply stick in the round (steelie) wheel holes to get enough leverage on the hard packed ice?

If not, I'm guessing that somebody on here could make some cash on a set of these (with not too much effort) for those of us up here in the Great White North...

Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fits Fine
"...there is indeed a flat step inside the wheel.." (Moon)

(For some reason) this caught me by surprise and forced the cancellation of an out of town trip today after the ice issue couldn't be solved at either the under spray automatic or hand car wash (wasn't dressed to deal with it anyways).

Has anybody ever come up with the correct angle tool(s) to simply stick in the round (steelie) wheel holes to get enough leverage on the hard packed ice?

If not, I'm guessing that somebody on here could make some cash on a set of these (with not too much effort) for those of us up here in the Great White North...
Perrenoud already gave a good the solution for this.. Pop the wheels off, takes like 2 minutes each at an easy pace, scrape them off and then lube the insides with something, like a white lithium grease. Hell I bet even baking spray like Pam would work in a pinch.

If for whatever reason you cannot take the wheels off.. put some wiper fluid in a squirt bottle and bend a strip of metal, maybe even a spoon would work. Brake cleaner might help too.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Grease isn't a good idea there. Debris will stick to it. Try car wax.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Grease isn't a good idea there. Debris will stick to it. Try car wax.
That would work too!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Uhhh, hot water, in copious quantities? I realize that aluminum wheels give you more access than steelies, but getting in there and blasting sounds like a plan.
Something non-stick sounds good too; the Pam thing might work.
Moon
ETA- or just thaw out the whole car?
M

Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I've been driving the crap out of my '10 Sport in snow and ice and have not had any imbalance issues.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by ajinomoto
I've been driving the crap out of my '10 Sport in snow and ice and have not had any imbalance issues.
As have I, but with the benefit of an above-ambient garage; all the crap melts off overnight.
Does your car sit out?
Moon

Old 02-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you need to make a tool easily poke the ice out. I live where it ices once a year maybe. Get steel rims for the winter.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
OP, We've got a number of dirt roads here and I lived i north Central PA for a half dozen years (Plenty of dirt roads) and never had any issues like this. I had snow packed up once in the wheels of my Altima after I slid off the road in a nasty snow storm but a quick reach around cleaned out the snow from the tires.

I've never seen anyone who has had regular issues with this. do you have any photos of the type of roads you are driving on that pick up so much junk?

We use Crisco on the pole to keep the squirrels off the bird feeder. maybe that'll keep the junk out from inside.

~SB

Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by north1
2010 fit sport with I believe alloy rims. Whenever I travel through mud or snow and slush the car will begin to vibrate excessively at highway speeds over 60 mph. Have had it to dealership twice and they say mud or snow is building up on the backside of rims on the rear and causing an imbalance. Get charged $24.00 to have rims removed and cleaned.

Anyone else have this problem and what do you do to rectify it. Live in the country and dealership is 60 miles away. Hard to remove rims along a highway to clean. First time it happened I powerwashed the wheels but didn't help. Last time I was in town and started out of town when I noticed it. Felt like driving on square tires at 65mph. Turned around and went back into town to have cleaned so I could get home.
go to tiresplus. they'll clean it for free. i know, because i work there. and i get to do free BS work like this constantly. i hate people like you who are too stupid to kick their own snow out of their own wheels. :P lol i'm j/k. kind of. seriously though we should charge people just like the dealer.