2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

advice for installing sport spoiler on base

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 AM
advice for installing sport spoiler on base

I've searched extensively so be kind

I plan on installing a sport spoiler on my base, I ordered the wing, (2) 6mm special bolts, and the L and R bolt cover caps.

The sport model has 2 threaded inserts welded into the hatch that the bolts thread into, and what i understand as 4 clips that friction fit.

It would seem the logical way to go about this is to ignore the 4 clip holes and just use the 2 bolt holes and tape for mounting.

option 1:
- test mount the spoiler, mark the positions for the 6mm bolt holes
- drill 6mm holes only into the outer skin of the hatch
- touch up paint the hole to prevent corrosion
- mount the spoiler
- use silicone, small rubber gasket, or similar to form a weather seal around the bolt hole between body and spoiler
- feed 6mm flanged nylocks through rubber electrical access ports (I'm assuming this may be possible)
- once nylocks are threaded onto bolts, use crescent to snug bolts
- make sure spoiler is positioned, then snug further
- remove tap backing if any

option 2:
Basically the same as option 1 except drilling larger access holes (1/2" maybe) through the inner skin of the tailgate panel directly inline with the 6mm hole on the outer skin. This would allow much easier nut installation and would allow for silicone of the drilled area for better corrosion resistance, then cover the access port with adhesive film or plastic plug etc..

I've seen a lot of reference to people doing this, but no real details on the fastener setup.

Also is using the 2 bolts enough? will it put to much stress on the hatch? I'm guessing no since aftermarket spoilers often only use these 2 attachments points.

Last edited by Dr. Unsped; 02-01-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 PM
i'm pretty sure if you just bolt it down to the hatch and use 3m double sided tape instead of having to drill the extra holes into your hatch it'll be fine. just lay the double sided tape all along the spoiler, and if you ever decide to take it off, you won't be stuck with those holes.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
I would paid the extra money and have honda do it. so if they mess up they can pay

Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 PM
honda won't do any anything like that. if anything they will take it to their body shop and charge you an arm and a leg.

if it were me i would just drill it myself. the part of the trunk that should be drilled isn't a thick metal anyways so it'll be easy to drill through. just make sure the drills are straight and line up.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
but for the easiest and probably the second best option personally is the 3m double sided tape. that tape will hold it in place for sure.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
i called a body shop, they said it would take all day cause they would have to make a template and at least 150 bucks.

it took me one hour to do it myself, i dremeled off the three middle bolts, used 3m double sided weather striping tape in the middle.

the oem spoiler will sit exactly where it needs to, tape it down, mark the holes and drill

i put some black silcone in the holes before i put the bolts in. use self locking nuts, the kind with the teeth on the bottom and tighten.

done

i bought a used spoiler that was my color already painted from a junk yard for 50 bucks and spent maybe another 10 in supplies.