2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Maybe the Fit was a bad idea...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe the Fit was a bad idea...

I've been driving, something like 16 years now. In all the vehicles I've driven, I've always tried to go... fast. But, at the same time, I would always try to keep it within reasonable speeds (lest ye get a ticket!). Unfortunately, I still managed to get 4 speeding tickets.

Yet, even in a '95 Vette (brother-in-law sold to brother, but now just sold), I never felt like it was fast. I hit 106 mph, thinking I was "just" cruising at 80... and I was more worried about getting a speeding ticket than any excitement of speed. The drive was kinda dull. I actually had more fun driving my '97 Mitsubishi Mirage (aka Lancer). Even though it only had 92 HP, it was somewhat fun driving around.

Then, comes the Fit. when I first got it... I liked it. It's roomy and fuel economical. And the icing on the cake... it felt fun and zippy. Of course, I put on a few mods here and there (not performance oriented). Then, earlier this week, I put on my first intentional performance mod (on any car). My previous "performance" mod was replacing the shocks on the '99 Nissan Pathfinder when I found out both rears were blown. I went with KYBs, because the only other option, Monroes, were something my friend was telling me to avoid like the plague. And the KYBs were supposedly "performance" models! Back to the Fit... that mod was, Swift Springs.

Perhaps its all psychological... but whatever it is... the springs have made the Fit even MORE enjoyable. I'm doing all kinds of shit I never did before, and feeling confident WHILE doing it. Sure, the Vette could out-speed and dust the Fit... but it just didn't feel as fun.

So you might be wondering... if the Fit is so much fun... why is it a bad idea?

Cause I'm worried I'm gonna have too much fun and get myself a ticket or something!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Don't drive like an idiot, pretty simple concept that most can't seem to grasp.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
I've been driving, something like 40 years now. Sounds like you're still in the idiot phase.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
well, that's interesting.

who said anything about driving like an idiot?

I don't try to hit 100+ mph on the highway (hell, haven't even tried 90). I don't pass people left and right, even when they're going half the speed limit. While I do take turns faster than I used to, I make it a point to stay in my lane the entire time... no racing lines (even in the dead of night with no other cars).

I guess this thread was a bad idea, if all I'm gonna get is mr "highroads" like you.

And btw, its entirely possible to have fun, while driving within reasonable (and even legal) boundaries.

edit: sigh... i think it was a mistake creating this thread. the both of you completely missed the point of it. that is to ENJOY the car. Not everyone that enjoys their car drives like your definition of "idiot." If i wanted to race other people, drive excessively fast, or test the limits of myself and the car... I'd pay the $200+ to get on the local speedway (track).

to the mods... this thread didn't come out the way I planned... if you want to lock (or even delete it)... by all means.

Last edited by Goobers; 01-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Hey goobs - as my father always said, "Don't let the bastards get you down.."!

I've bee driving 47 years and I'll tell you this, congrats on the Swifts!! Enjoy them and your ride and keep the doughnuts in those huge under-plowed winter parking lots.

Keep on keeping on _ Curtis Mayfield

Old 01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
lol don't feel bad... i'm a spirited driver myself, but i honestly think that i drive a lot safer than 99% of the drivers out there... there's tons of people shifting lanes without there turn signal or while taking a sharper curve! or going way too slow ( yes i did say that going under the speedlimit is reckless)

most people are'nt aware of what's going on around them... that is bad driving...

and after taking my car to the track and drifting sessions in snowy parking lots, i know very well the limits of my car...

3 years ago, i took an exit on the highway, and it was'nt plowed, there was at least 4 inches of snow... when i saw that, i knew that i would loose control of the car ( the curve was pretty sharp) and it was way too late for braking... yet knowing how my car behaved, i was able to just slightly bump a snowbank with my rear bumper (like they do in rally) and then put the car back on track! getting stuck in the snow would have been very dangerous as it was towards the end of the curve and there's no way a driver could've dodged my car...

Yet if you have a need for speed, i recommend that you take your car to the track from time to time (i have a track 15 min away from where i live that offer lapping sessions at 10$ for 10min on thursday! so it should be a lot cheaper than you expect!) you can also keep your eyes opened for autoX sessions in your region!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 PM
What improved the most in your opinion, Goobers? I'm in between springs or front and rear strut bars to tighten up the Fits suspension a bit. The GD3 felt more like a go kart as far as handling went. I want that kind of feeling in my GE8.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe I shouldn't admit this....

But the only thing that bothers me about your story is a growing reputation. Right now? I find that I can go fast in my Fit, and mostly get ignored by police. I think they see a small hatchback and think it can't be going fast....so they don't even bother.

If more and more young drivers start driving the Fit fast? I think it could get the reputation of being a young drivers "fast" car....

Then I'm going to start getting pulled over....

Right now? Driving a Fit is like having an invisibilty cloak....and I wish it would stay that way...

Old 01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Maybe I shouldn't admit this....

But the only thing that bothers me about your story is a growing reputation. Right now? I find that I can go fast in my Fit, and mostly get ignored by police. I think they see a small hatchback and think it can't be going fast....so they don't even bother.

If more and more young drivers start driving the Fit fast? I think it could get the reputation of being a young drivers "fast" car....

Then I'm going to start getting pulled over....

Right now? Driving a Fit is like having an invisibilty cloak....and I wish it would stay that way...
lol so basically are you asking us to go slow so you can go fast?!?

Old 01-29-2011, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
glad to hear you are enjoying your fit even more!

im in the phase for new suspension too and ill probably hit up the ol' mountain pass first thing after i get my suspension setup installed.

i know for a fact goobers is not talking about idiot driving when he claims hes doing crazy shit, hes just saying he can hit wide sweepers and 90* turns carrying more speed and stability.

goobers, once you get better gripping tires is when the real fun starts.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
"Fast" is relative to your psyche. For what it's worth I got more tickets in my Integra when I had it than my NSX. My mentality for some bizarre reason (which may have been attributed to foolish youth ) was that the Integra wasn't as fast and didn't stand out more. It may be true in my mind, but not true to the radar gun or the officer.

2 cents.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
KC, ya know... i don't think i've ever done a doughnut. the most i've done, maybe 90 degrees. But they were more of little braking slides. Keeping it in snow covered lots helps, cause I can actually do them (at much slower speeds). The only real time I do braking slides on dry pavement... when I do it on my bicycle. I used to love doing it!

i'm still trying to figure out the logistics of a doughnut in a FWD. (maybe in reverse?)

cr4zy3lgato, haha... my "need for speed" goes up to about speed limit (+5/10/15**)! I find that, while not as intensive as some tracks (or i'd imagine, autox)... even just cruising around on some winding roads is fun!

Yes, I hate it when it seems like the other driver is less aware of anything besides themselves. drives me up the wall when doing deliveries.

AllBlkEvrythng10: For me, the improvements from the Swift is that on SOME roads, even just getting up to speed feels much smoother than before. Like others have said, seems to absorbs road "imperfections" pretty well. But the improvement I like the most... less roll. In turns and even when I run over bumps on one side, it doesn't feel like I'm being pushed side to side as much.

Maybe its a combination with the 93 octane I've been pumping (little mpg experiment)... but it also feels like the car isn't working so hard getting up to speed. less engine noise (could be in my head)... smoother road feel... OH YEAH.

Fitchet, nah... I drive at pretty much the same 'speed' as I do in all past vehicles... speed limit (+5 or 10 on highway... or 15 in SD hwy, they FAST!) or flow of traffic... which ever is more reasonable. My last speeding ticket (in the Pathfinder) was because I went from one speed zone to a slower zone and didn't realize it until it was too late.

For the most part... cops blow past me. And this, is NOT when they're in a "rush."

JJIN... have you... been... watching... my driving?!? STALKER!!!!

edit: almost made it sound like I drive like a grandma. I'm anything BUT... however, I do try not to drive like some of the other bozos that speed up to 80 or 90 mph... weave through traffic... just to end up 2 car spots up from where they were 5 minutes ago (traffic position-wise).

Last edited by Goobers; 01-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Same thing I felt about driving the Fit after getting my springs installed. Much more fun on corners and yes definitely way less body roll.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
I have to admit, the Mazda 2 manual was more enjoyable to drive... at least on a test drive. That tranny is so smooth and genuine. And in the turns the Mazda just goes in like a go-cart. That's why they say it has miata DNA.

Last edited by john21031; 01-29-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey Goobers, I know exactly what you mean. Ever since I got my Fit a month ago I have found myself driving so much more "spiritedly", and have been having a blast. You're absolutely right, you can have so much fun driving within legal limits in the right vehicle. Oh, and I get my Swifts installed in a week and a half!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
lol so basically are you asking us to go slow so you can go fast?!?
Yes.

Or wear white/silver hair wigs....

That's not asking too much....

Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
The Fit is so much fun! Just like they say, " I'd rather drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow"

Cat

Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm just say'n... It's 2 Much Fun Dude...

Ya goob I get (the sarcasm) what ur say'n I have a ol scool Charger and it's a ball in the straights but the Fit is soo much better all around!
and that's what makes it a real joy to drive. :x) Cat hit it right on the head,
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
I always get warnings in my fit, never actual tickets. Police seem very reluctant to write me a ticket compared to in my slower thunderbird. One cop actually asked if it was an electric vehicle. Maybe they just pull me over to get a look.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
I think I just like the "constant" as opposed to always speeding up, then slowing down then speeding back up. As long as other cars aren't slowing me down on the on-ramps, I have found i can maintain my speed very well w/o worrying about my car.

I do enjoy though that as long as I'm paying attention to the other drivers, I have noticed when I've had to make drastic changes for them (cars drifting, sudden brakes, etc.) my car handles it very well. That also might have to do with me expecting people to drive stupid.

I get what you're getting at though. And to me fast is 75 lol.

Quick Reply: Maybe the Fit was a bad idea...