2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Maybe the Fit was a bad idea...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Okay, before this thread gets further "off topic" (not that I really care, my friends and I are they same way when we talk, lol), I will tell you why I started this thread.

There are just too many negative threads on the forum. This piece is broken, that piece got busted, something is wrong, it isn't as I expected, etc.

I figured, let's get a "yay" thread in this sea of blah.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Let's see. You enjoy driving your Fit more than a Corvette !! You should get back on your meds.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm pretty sure I got it from the go get. Like many of us you've been doing the little things. Trinkets I like to call them, but our own trinkets, custom things to make it our own.

Then I see this:
Then, earlier this week, I put on my first intentional performance mod (on any car).
That's what it all about Goobers and I say kudos to you, most I've done is put a ton of miles on it and install a new rear view mirror that tells me the outside temp stuck the rear wiper arm straight up in the air plus added a few other trinkets.

Fear not the haters...

Old 01-30-2011, 12:28 AM
It's so true. I had a 90 civic hatchback with a b16 swap and I use to street race and do all kind of "exhibition of speed" and NEVER once got a fix it ticket or speeding ticket but one day i let my friend take it for a spin and as soon as he pulled out of the parking lot and took it through second gear he was already being pulled over LMAO.

I also had a 98 eclipse turbo Never a ticket, but I did get a speeding ticket in my 03 Honda element and a fix it ticket in the same car for front tint (very light) and license plate (got backed into and dealer replaced bumper but not license plate bracket so not my fault) so weird huh?

Maybe the fit is good luck, or maybe I'm good luck LOL.

But dont let those guys in post #2 and #3 get you down. I dont know why you would join an online community about your car if you weren't interested in the enjoyment of the ride whether its speed or handling. Some people just aren't happy about life and you just have to say "thank God I dont have to be YOU for the rest of my life!"

Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whaap
Let's see. You enjoy driving your Fit more than a Corvette !! You should get back on your meds.
OMG... I DO needs to drive the Vette.... pain meds.

My ass hurt when I drove the Vette. Any harshness in the Swift is NOTHING compared to the Vette.

Not to mention that, despite being Chinese, I'm 6 ft tall. A '95 Vette is NOT friendly to taller folks like myself. I literally have to shoehorn myself into it. You think you've seen picky folks about the Fit's seats? I have to put the seat in ONE EXACT spot. Any change in any direction, and either my knees hit the dash or steering wheel... or my head is jammed into the top. Even in that spot, I couldn't drive "normally" because my hands couldn't travel all the way around when spinning the steering wheel (legs were in the way). The Vette was a hardtop convertible, so the there was MORE head room than the normal Vette too (only had single layer of plastic top), I'd never fit in a non-convertible Vette.

Its kinda hard trying to have fun, when your head is smacking the top over every little road "feature."

Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
Its kinda hard trying to have fun, when your head is smacking the top over every little road "feature."
Plenty of fun to be had, Ya'll just need a bit more 'headboard' practice...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
well, that's interesting.

who said anything about driving like an idiot?...
Hey Goobs, after reading your initial post, how the h3ll "Honda[control]frk" and "Spread[pointy]head" got only what they got out of it is completely beyond me.

I seem to remember you stating you "HAVE" -- as in in the past -- driven at high speeds... not that you make a habit of it. Yet, some are so quick to mother and control other's lives they are obviously not able to "control" themselves!

While I'm sure neither "Spread[pointy]head" or "Honda[control]frk" ever drove above the speed limit in their lives , I've driven some of the fastest rides on the planet, some of the nicest rides on the planet (whether I actually owned them or not), and I agree with you... my Fit may be up there with the best of them in the "driving fun" category.

For every hen picker in a forum, there are at least 10 or more who appreciate a given post. Besides, reading comprehension is a wonderful thing... before one can first "control" something, they should try and understand it! (If only we could teach meddling politicians that one little principle!)

I enjoyed your post, Goobers.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
I have to admit, the Mazda 2 manual was more enjoyable to drive... at least on a test drive. That tranny is so smooth and genuine. And in the turns the Mazda just goes in like a go-cart. That's why they say it has miata DNA.

Who designed that center stack on the dash? Mickey Mouse? I swear, it looks like Mickey's head.

As far as the fun factor to the car, it's there. most probably have heard me say this before but after 1.5 years of ownership, the fit is still fun to drive and puts a smile on my face. Its even fun in the snow. the altima with 153hp more was just numb. In it, I rode to work and after 1.5 years, I still drive to work in the fit. I can't wait to put the stock tires/wheels back on when it warms up to hit the twisties. For now, I'm enjoying some snow covered sliding.

~SB

Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Maybe I shouldn't admit this....

But the only thing that bothers me about your story is a growing reputation. Right now? I find that I can go fast in my Fit, and mostly get ignored by police. I think they see a small hatchback and think it can't be going fast....so they don't even bother.

If more and more young drivers start driving the Fit fast? I think it could get the reputation of being a young drivers "fast" car....

Then I'm going to start getting pulled over....

Right now? Driving a Fit is like having an invisibilty cloak....and I wish it would stay that way...

My thinking...

The Fit in the family belongs to my wife (I drive a 370Z). So, she decides to get tint on it. That's cool. But the darn thing hardly has any tint on it out the door so I say (something like), "Just get the nice dark illegal tint...who the heck is going to give a Fit a second look ?!" She thinks about it and balks. Now she has legal (lighter) tint and sometimes wishes she had it darker now. GOOD THING, though, considering the "invisibility cloak" will be coming off soon...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Okay, before this thread gets further "off topic" (not that I really care, my friends and I are they same way when we talk, lol), I will tell you why I started this thread.

There are just too many negative threads on the forum. This piece is broken, that piece got busted, something is wrong, it isn't as I expected, etc.

I figured, let's get a "yay" thread in this sea of blah.
I totally got it. And while the Fit "fits" into the "eco" car list, I think the thread's intent (your intent) was that the car isn't just a puttering inexpensive gas miser--it can be a fun little car (just don't be a crazy fool is all).

Old 01-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
Who designed that center stack on the dash? Mickey Mouse? I swear, it looks like Mickey's head.

As far as the fun factor to the car, it's there. most probably have heard me say this before but after 1.5 years of ownership, the fit is still fun to drive and puts a smile on my face. Its even fun in the snow. the altima with 153hp more was just numb. In it, I rode to work and after 1.5 years, I still drive to work in the fit. I can't wait to put the stock tires/wheels back on when it warms up to hit the twisties. For now, I'm enjoying some snow covered sliding.

~SB
Gack ! Now I'm ruined for life. I'll never be able to sit in it again without seeing that !

Old 01-30-2011, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
I have to admit, the Mazda 2 manual was more enjoyable to drive... at least on a test drive. That tranny is so smooth and genuine. And in the turns the Mazda just goes in like a go-cart. That's why they say it has miata DNA.

The dash instrumentation is so disappointing on the Mazda 2. It's bland, almost lifeless, and definitely boring, in my opinion. The Fit's dash is exciting and very alive-looking in comparison. (instrument cluster -- USDM version. Don't care as much for the [red] JDM instrumentation)

The Mazda 2 may have been a future choice of mine (if I got tired of the Fit), but one look at the dash and I was completely unimpressed... like I said, disappointed. I would never purchase a Nissan or Toyota... most of their products use boring, baby-crap yellow, brown and amber in their instrumentation. And, who still decides to use "old school" LCD tech for instrumentation at this point in auto history?

I know looks, alone, don't account for the entire driving experience. But if I'm looking at something so visually unappealing on a daily/nightly basis, even given the perfect actual driving/handling experience can't make up for it.

Just doesn't appeal to me at all. Such a shame... I had complete confidence and extremely high hopes for the Mazda 2... all the way around.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Slynky
Gack ! Now I'm ruined for life. I'll never be able to sit in it again without seeing that !

Showed my wife the photo and asked. Whats the first thing that comes to mind when looking at the dash.

She too said Mickey

~SB

Is Mazda partially owned by Disney?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
I've always thought the interior of a lot of Mazdas were pretty bland, and the mazda 2 kept that tradition going in my mind. Nothing against Mazda, I just think they could do a better job on the interiors of some of their cars.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
would you recommend the swift springs? they were first on my list too.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EvoFit
would you recommend the swift springs? they were first on my list too.
I think I can speak for everyone who has them on (myself not included since it's too cold to install them this week) when I say, "yes, absolutely." Never heard a negative thing about them.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
@ Goobers Nice positive post! I also enjoy the "spirited" driving in my fit. I see some people (post #2 & #3) did not understand where you were coming from!