2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MOTIVATION. Sickest fit in atl. Everything is right!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
some of you guys should really open your eyes to a variety of styles when it comes to car culture. you ARE allowed to appreciate a variety of styles, you know. it doesn't have to be all about, "my car is like this, yours is like that...your car sucks - so mine is better now." open your minds please

Last edited by doctordoom; 01-28-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
What pack must he follow then???

You and him are both basically following certain "packs".

While you follow the pack of performance, he on the other hand is following the pack of style.

While I respect your infinite amount of knowledge and you yourself DSM, sometimes you come off a bit much of a know it all type of guy. Granted you can definitley be categorized as such (in a good way ok) because you do know what you are talking about.

All I'm saying is the guy may not satisfy some peoples' taste in automotive modification, but at least give some credit as his car does look nice and cleanly done. I for one prefer function with a hint of form.

You don't have to follow packs...

What pack am I following specifically? As far as me being purely function v. form.. keep in mind that while I am waiting on the warranty to end, the only things I have done to the Fit are primarily cosmetic, debadging, and wheels as I collect the rest of the parts, research and bide my time.

On my current project car, there is really no pack for me to follow in the Standing Mile and Land Speed communities. On top of that I am not out to even break records it is a personal challenge. I would be thrilled to even be competitive. This is all about learning and experimenting for me.

I just want a car that I can drive from Chicago to Loring, or Maxton or Bonneville, pass tech certification, make a few WOT pulls and drive home under its own power with little work needed.

I am sorry if I come off rough around the edges after a long day sometimes and admittedly it can be easy to be callous to strangers on line. Inflection is also lost in text and other nuances in speech can be missed. I am not exactly a PR guy.

For all my occasional dick-ishness, I do spend most of my time on FF trying to help people. Look through my post history in my profile.

You might find 60-70 off-color comments in almost 1100 posts.

I even invite people to crash my thread with ideas, information and questions in the hope it will bring in more ideas and perspectives ultimately leading to unique projects.

Sometimes I do poke fun at individual cars, but I also catch plenty of flack myself when go out in my rat rod or my de-badged, de-tagged GD.. Hell, lots of people love to hate my Rotas just by themselves!

I had someone ribbing me about my "Scion" on a hunting trip last fall

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-28-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:27 AM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
hellaflush is the new ricer trend.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I think you are reading way too much into this. And if I am talking shit to anyone at this point its you, I guess. But if you are going to make it out to "everyone"...

It feels like the whole "look" came about because it was basically what happened when cheap kids (who couldn't bother to research things like camber or toe) who just got into cars wound up with when they put lowering springs and large wheels on their first car.

I may be more biased than some on this matter because I help people rehab what they or a previous owner have done to a car.

I wasn't saying you personally were dumb, I was saying it is not especially hard to do which is what drew my comment because it was the OPs contention that this is the "sickest Fit" in ATL, and it is not necessarily the best idea if you won't go the whole nine yards and fix your suspension geometry..

But way to extrapolate my off the cuff comment on your particular car to insulting everyone. Not "everyone" who does this leaves important items like the control arms at crazy angles.

But then again, not everyone can figure out how to setup and install an airbag system so you certainly get respect from me for that. While not exceptionally difficult or rare it does require a healthy technical understanding and the confidence to dive in, again this I can appreciate.

Your car is clean as well, but to me it just looks.. broken. And if you would drop the money on bags why not tweak the rest of the suspension?

There are some really nice ones on this board. Several mentioned in this thread even. So I am not referring to everyone who likes aggressive wheels, drops, bodykits and rolls... Felix being a great example, maybe at the extreme end of the spectrum though.

Not even just dropped with crazy wheels. People who even put LEDs in funky places. Cars like Perrenoud's, vinnymac, and many others who go above and beyond in making their rides outlandish, functional and unique.

I enjoy crazy ideas and new things, I can also appreciate a well done, nice looking and functional "flush" car.

I gave my opinion on your car. I have never met you and did not attempt to comment on your character especially since you were not initially here to fend for yourself.

You would probably laugh at my Plymouth as it is an ugly pile. And you would be entitled to that opinion.

I could get upset about it, or I could just take it in stride.

So just like when someone asks me if it's "JDM" or calls me a ricer or treats me like a kid for having a turbo 4cyl, it comes with the territory. I just nod and smile.

Not everybody is gonna "get" it. How about you get some thicker skin?

I am not hating everyone who does cosmetic work, or goofy stuff like hydraulics or even put their car on "donks." Because sometimes they can look cool too. So don't put words in my mouth.

And since you brought it up, what have you been doing for the last ten years? "Hellaflush?"

This^ is genuine curiousity at this point, not shit talking.

Although we can keep doing that and go nowhere I am not alone in disliking it, but for just about everyone that chimed in with "hate" you are getting props from the crowd here that likes it.
I think we both are adults here, and its healthy discussion. Honestly I just felt like you were attacking this little sub culture as whole with the ape comment, and it just bothers me when someone categorizes people who are into fitment into the same class as some of these other dumb ass tuners who don't know the wtf they are doing. I understand that what you are trying to say, and I should have thicker skin, but we all get defensive about stuff we're passionate about. It's in our nature our suppose.

I don't feel like doing anything else to my suspension because the goal was to get as low as possible - and that's it. From my coilover selection (they were the only ones out with the threaded strut tubes/mounts when the car came out) to all the cutting and hammering. The intent was never to fix suspension geometry, just to try to lay frame. and I'm pretty close. The one thing I would like to do is center my rear wheel as it's not centered in the wheel well. It's a common problem with the bagged mkiv vw's as well.

And I understand that not everyone is going to "get it" but acceptance is key.

And no, I don't think your plymouth is a POS. From what I'm guessing it's a 1st gen DSM ( *EDIT* just read your sig, it IS a 1g, doh!). I was on DSM tuners back in 2001? when I didn't know shit about turbo setups. Granted I have forgotten a lot, but I did manage to figure out my 50 trim setup back in the day. Trust when I say I have a soft spot for the earlier DSMs.

Yes I've been doing "hellaflush" since 01. Back then it wasnt really called hellaflush though. It was more a euro or drifter influence. I just remember watching the videos and looking at pics from the overseas mags and being dumbfounded by it. It was all about getting super slammed on coils back then and just having fitment that made you roll your fenders. I dont remember there being as much poke back then as there is now though.

I don't remember who I used to host pictures with back in early the 2000s, but here's one from 05. It's on photobucket lol i dont even know who still uses that.

This is like a month after I got the mazdaspeed. No plates and still with the temp reg sticker! If anyone thinks hellaflush is getting hated on now, you should have seen how many miata haters I had back then! I couldnt even find a picture of low offset wheels on a miata back then. haha

Name:  PICT0029.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  PICT0022.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  59.8 KB

And whether anyone likes it or hates it- any of it, from the car to our discussion - at least its providing entertainment to all.

Last edited by danielg; 01-28-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
And OP, change your title. I'm not in the ATL. However, if anyone want to buy my fit that lives in the ATL (or buy it and take it to the ATL) please come take it off my hands.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Beating a dead horse.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
the pink van thingy reminds me of the old max boost comics. you know the cartoon in import tuner they had a long time ago, they would draw the cars all funny like that. it just makes me giggle, lol

Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I'm so conflicted.

On the one hand I just want to say you have a good attitude and little else matters.

On the other hand I have so much fun messing with the hellaflush guys

I think I will decide not to decide for now.

EDIT: So, I decided to look through some hellaflush/poke forums and find a vehicle I like to help expand my mind.

I found this, it pleases me.

im so fucking sick of seeing this car EVERY time a new debat comes up about stanced/hellaflush cars.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, some like it, some don't... to each his/her own. I don't see how he even drives down the street with something that low... but I guess he does. Hell, I wouldn't even make it in/out of my driveway before the entire front underside, etc. was fairly well scratched and bashed up... possibly even no longer functional.

For me, it even looks a little low, but only because of the shape/width/curve of the fenders/wheel wells.

And personally, I don't care for that "Tires singing a chorus of 'You're Havin' my Baby' to the protruding wheels" look... but again, that's just me.

Either of my above issues aside, it's still a great-looking ride! Again, I would be very afraid to drive it, but a nice ride nevertheless.

Good work and good-looking ride... thanks for posting the pic and the link.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
No filter for the extra weight reduction - nice.

I do like the true VIP style cars, such as the LSs above.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danielg
Hey, I had one of those - same color. I think I remember your car from mazda-speed.com.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit

im so fucking sick of seeing this car EVERY time a new debat comes up about stanced/hellaflush cars.

I really like the pinkish purple one more. He doesnt afraid of anything. All these other guys are trying too hard to be clean. I think the owner of the crazy one is trying to make statement about the trend as a whole.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 01-28-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm still giving this "MOTIVATION. Sickest fit in atl. Everything is right!" thread a big...

sickest fit you say???

Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I think the owner of the crazy one is trying to make statement about the trend as a whole.
no dude, that's boso style in japan. look it up

might be too extreme for stateside though, i mean, look at all the hate that stance/fitment receives here already.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by danielg
I think we both are adults here, and its healthy discussion. Honestly I just felt like you were attacking this little sub culture as whole with the ape comment, and it just bothers me when someone categorizes people who are into fitment into the same class as some of these other dumb ass tuners who don't know the wtf they are doing. I understand that what you are trying to say, and I should have thicker skin, but we all get defensive about stuff we're passionate about. It's in our nature our suppose.

I don't feel like doing anything else to my suspension because the goal was to get as low as possible - and that's it. From my coilover selection (they were the only ones out with the threaded strut tubes/mounts when the car came out) to all the cutting and hammering. The intent was never to fix suspension geometry, just to try to lay frame. and I'm pretty close. The one thing I would like to do is center my rear wheel as it's not centered in the wheel well. It's a common problem with the bagged mkiv vw's as well.

And I understand that not everyone is going to "get it" but acceptance is key.

And no, I don't think your plymouth is a POS. From what I'm guessing it's a 1st gen DSM ( *EDIT* just read your sig, it IS a 1g, doh!). I was on DSM tuners back in 2001? when I didn't know shit about turbo setups. Granted I have forgotten a lot, but I did manage to figure out my 50 trim setup back in the day. Trust when I say I have a soft spot for the earlier DSMs.

Yes I've been doing "hellaflush" since 01. Back then it wasnt really called hellaflush though. It was more a euro or drifter influence. I just remember watching the videos and looking at pics from the overseas mags and being dumbfounded by it. It was all about getting super slammed on coils back then and just having fitment that made you roll your fenders. I dont remember there being as much poke back then as there is now though.

I don't remember who I used to host pictures with back in early the 2000s, but here's one from 05. It's on photobucket lol i dont even know who still uses that.

This is like a month after I got the mazdaspeed. No plates and still with the temp reg sticker! If anyone thinks hellaflush is getting hated on now, you should have seen how many miata haters I had back then! I couldnt even find a picture of low offset wheels on a miata back then. haha

And whether anyone likes it or hates it- any of it, from the car to our discussion - at least its providing entertainment to all.

'Nuff said really, and well put.

I never understood the Miata hate, FWIW. That is a nice one you got there! They are severely underrated, especially by the more ignorant in the car crowd.

Always cool to run into another DSM guy!

When you said this:

and it just bothers me when someone categorizes people who are into fitment into the same class as some of these other dumb ass tuners who don't know the wtf they are doing.
I immediately understood why you got worked up. Especially if you have been to DSMTuners lately, what a sh!thole that place turned into...

But again, I wasn't intending for this to get this drawn out, and I guess you caught me by surprise as I definitely did not feel like I had made the most vitriolic comments on your ride out of everyone who posted in here.

Definitely made a jab at it not denying that, I am not gonna back pedal and equivocate.

Sometimes I just say what I am thinking, whether or not it is nice.

But as I pointed out early on... everyone is entitled to do what they wish with their property as long as it not dangerous to others and is legal.

I am glad we were able to amicably disagree on a few points, and do so in a rational manner. It also appears we have common ground and that there are items we can agree on.

Frankly I was expecting something like this, ad infinitum:

I also noticed in another thread you take issue with the HellaFlush name, we can agree on this as well.

Personally I just f***ing hate the word hellaflush and that people refer to it as a movement, like it is a PAC or lobby of some sort. Especially when I visit friends in San Jose, Berkeley, LA and San Diego.

And you are right there is a world of difference between this:

And this:

But to some, right or wrong.. they all look like this:

I can appreciate a whole spectrum of vehicles.

I have owned a broad range of vehicles from a Yamaha R1 to 305ci swapped Chevy Monza to a G4EK Hyundai and a 1953 B-Series Mack "Quad Box" Semi.

I like old clean Cressida's an AE86's, 70's Datsun's Triumphs, MGs Healy's to CRX's, Galants, newer Soarer's, WRX's and I have even seen a Lada Niva that looked pretty sick. So I am relatively open minded, I can also be quite opinionated, which is not always a good thing I readily admit, but there we go. What I like is constantly changing too as I am exposed to new things! Aside from my inexplicable urge to make everything more efficient and faster, I doubt what I like today will remotely resemble what I like ten years from now.

A lot of people I know and hang out with, outside of the internet, like that I am not about to BS anyone, even if it is politically expedient to do so. At the same time, with few exceptions I love to help people.

A friend of mine has a dumped flushed stretched IS300. He doesn't drift or race, or do anything outside of go to work and chase down the body panels he occasionally pops of enroute.

When ever he needs help on something.. other than wheels, tires and springs, I am more than happy to help him. He is also a bright guy, but his realm of knowledge is not cars. He just likes the look and making smoke at a standstill.

So now that he needs help replacing he abused stock diff, I will be wrenching away with him in spite of my opinions on his car.. A few too many one wheel peels lol

You shouldn't give too much weight to the judgement of a total stranger.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
the way the wheels are partially hidden by the fender.
dunno.... Looks Mickey Mouse

Old 01-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Everyone needs to chill out and see what's good in California.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BayAreaKid
Everyone needs to chill out and see what's good in California.
Omg! Omg! I finally figured it out thanks to you!

You see I was originally going to respond and say, "How can I not hate a state that would probably fine me $10,000, send me to jail, and crush my car, if they ever found out what I did to it."

But that's when everything clicked!

No wonder all these crappy trends pour out of California. You don't have a choice! All you guys can do is buy bolt on parts from big manufacturers and make garish cosmetic mods and obsess over rims and drops. Anything else is completely illegal there. Hell, even my diy intake wouldn't get past a visual inspection.

It also just so happens that California is the trendsetta state. So all of the things you guys are forced to do pours out into the rest of the country.

So in a very indirect way we can blame a vast majority of the bizarre trends and ricers out there on CARB.

I like this theory as it gives me some closure.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 01-29-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Not liking the wheels and tires. bagging is one thing and I realize the only way you can go more flush and dropped to sit on the ground is by stretching the tires on wide wheels but...

that doesn't mean it looks good.

Not all Ideas are good ones - no matter how many people jump on the "Craze". look at the ChiaObama, half the "as seen on TV" products, and Packard Bell in the 90's.

None of which are good Ideas but sold/sell like crazy.

~SB

Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
its a stock fit with mugen lipkit and wheels that dont fit? hellaflush, canibeat, fanboys... triple face palm
quoted for a fact. can you say hellapoke.com