2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

any preferred oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
any preferred oil?

What oil is the norm here? While I was dropping mine off this evening, I saw that San Tan Honda was selling Eneos for $10.95 a quart. That's almost twice as much of 2 Mobil1 5 quart jugs. Then I looked at Motul and that is hella expensive as well. I need to find an AMSOIL rep here locally to see what they want to charge for a quart.

I can honestly say I plan on owning this car till it dies. I will be doing all the maintenance myself, and if it's something I can't do, my buddy is a tech at honda and will help me on a sunday. Looking forward to some years and use out of this car.

Last edited by jayhawker; 01-25-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jayhawker
What oil is the norm here? While I was dropping mine off this evening, I saw that San Tan Honda was selling Eneos for $10.95 a quart. That's almost twice as much of 2 Mobil1 5 quart jugs. Then I looked at Motul and that is hella expensive as well. I need to find an AMSOIL rep here locally to see what they want to charge for a quart.

I can honestly I plan on owning this car till it dies. I will be doing all the maintenance myself, and if it's something I can't do, my buddy is a tech at honda and will help me on a sunday. Looking forward to some years and use out of this car.
After you have a couple thousand miles on the car, and you plan to never track it or beat on it...

Mobil 1 0w20.

Then add a magnet to your OE filters and a rare earth magnet drain plug.

Change your filter at least every other oil change.

If you plan to track the car and/or boost it then consider something like Rotella 5w40.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 AM
I used Mobil 0W20 in my Hybrid, and that was actually cheaper that buying it from Honda. With the service intervals set out to a longer time frame based on driving habits, I definitely want to stay in the synthetic family.

Last edited by jayhawker; 01-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 AM
To qoute a famous group, "It's a long and winding road that leads to no-where...": https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-starter.html

It really is a good thread and worth every new guy's time.
Oil is one of, if not the most debated and discussed topics on any car forum.
Enjoy the read...

K_C_

Old 01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
To qoute a famous group, "It's a long and winding road that leads to no-where...": https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-starter.html

It really is a good thread and worth every new guy's time.
Oil is one of, if not the most debated and discussed topics on any car forum.
Enjoy the read...

K_C_
That is a good read!

Here is one that you guys should find handy.. An oil article by Dr. A. E. Haas:
FerrariChat.com - FAQ: Motor Oil Articles by Dr. Ali E. Haas (AEHaas)

Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
For daily driving, I use OEM Honda Synthetic 5w-20. For track, I use Motul synthetic 5w-40.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That is a good read!

Here is one that you guys should find handy.. An oil article by Dr. A. E. Haas:
FerrariChat.com - FAQ: Motor Oil Articles by Dr. Ali E. Haas (AEHaas)
You need to meet Bob face to face: Welcome

Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
You need to meet Bob face to face: Welcome

"Bob is the oil guy" is reiterating Dr. Haas's contributions to the field in a more "user friendly" fashion... But the forums that site provides are very valuable. Lots of good contributors

I can get you Dr. Haas' SAE documents as well if you like! He is also a former Formula Super Vee racer as well as his own mechanic for his personal fleet of Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Mercedes.

He also collaborated with Chemists and Engineers from large oil companies like Blaine Ballentine from the Central Petroleum Company, in doing his research.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-25-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Hook me up. Some place someone sent me The Oil Bible - can't find it right now. I'm cleaning out a lap-top to give my son-in-law, possibly it's there.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
AMSoil or Redline in 0w20\5w20 or 5w30 flavor for me por favor!!

Marko!!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Hook me up. Some place someone sent me The Oil Bible - can't find it right now. I'm cleaning out a lap-top to give my son-in-law, possibly it's there.

Sorry it took a while to get back I have had to look back at old posts on other forums and I can only find a couple so far, I think the rest are on an old PC HDD that I will try to fire up tomorrow after class!

Here's two:
SAE SP-1894 and SP-1550

I would be curious to read the Oil Bible!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Here's a link to the Oil Bible You can save it from there.

Informative in its own way - commercial in another... interesting anyway.

However, as they say, "No sense beating a dead horse...". I will venture a guess that sometime this year the subject will come up and it's always nice to help out those new to the debate. So bookmark these for future reference_

Anyway the FIT is now at 18kmiles and 30% oil life in the second change cycle and I'll be switching to Mobile1 and will stick with it here on out.

My standard of driving style has become the distance between oil changes as calculated by the OBC. I'm looking at 10kmiles more or less. If I were driving it beyond it's means I'm positive the interval would be 3k less.

I'm also getting excellent MPG consistently, though I'm not positive of these winter conditions. It is looking like I'll see 36+ over a two tank average.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Lightbulb

I've been a Mobil 1 guy since 1995 and have never looked back. I will say that I'm going to be trying out the Royal Purple oil filter to go along with it as I've found out that its 100% pure synthetic filtering media inside, not that the Mobil 1 and its synthetic blend doesn't do a good job because it does, I just wanna see how it goes

0w20 Mobil 1 is what's always going into the Fit as long a I own it.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I figured those that hang out in here would more than likely use synthetic. I used Mobil 0W20 in the Hybrid and I have a quart of that left so I might just stick with that come oil change time unless I opt to switch to AMSOIL. I guess I got some to decide.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Lightbulb

Mobil 1 0w20 ($7.99 per quart) and either a Mobil 1 filter or Royal Purple filter and leave it in for 9-10k, change out and repeat again and again and again

IMO Amsoil and more particular the people that sell it are like Amway people, if you know what I mean, so I just stay away from that stuff all together. I've used Mobil 1 since the mid 90's during my Grand National days and I see no need to switch it out. I like the fact that it comes "factory fill" in many of the worlds greatest cars and if its good enough for them, its good enough for the Honda Fit!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Honda Genuine 5w-20 synthetic motor oil. $27.96 for 12 quarts.

Great synthetic oil for a great price. Can't beat it!

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ance-parts.htm

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Coming up on my second oil change and was gonna do Valvoline synthetic, but everyone here seems to be all about Mobil 1. Is Mobil 1 better than Valvoline? I've used Valvoline in every vehicle I've ever owned and I am a little brand loyal. Sorry this is off topic

Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Any named brand 5W30 oil will do just fine. Some even go to 0W30 w/ synthetic, however that weight oil is against Honda's recommendation. Is it okay to do? In a cold NE winter probably is. In an Arizona summer - I wouldn't. Will Honda care - not likely. Chances of your Fit's engine failing due to lubrication issues are slim to not.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitnaz
Coming up on my second oil change and was gonna do Valvoline synthetic, but everyone here seems to be all about Mobil 1. Is Mobil 1 better than Valvoline? I've used Valvoline in every vehicle I've ever owned and I am a little brand loyal. Sorry this is off topic

We have customers who use Valvoline 0W20 weight and 0W30 weight. The couple we had on the dyno had no statistical difference in hp curves. We use Mobil 1 because we have a long long history of no engine failures in numerous race cars. And synthetic is better than paraffin or naphthene based oils on hp and economy.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Is there any "preferred oil"?

Yes.
Unfortunately everyone prefers a different one, for usually different personal reasons. So you get an oceans horizon difference of opinion.

I once had a technician tell me he thought the important thing was changing your oil...actually just doing it...and the act of being vigilant about changing your oil was more important then what you ultimately chose to use. (as long as it was an approved grade quality)

I tend to agree with this.

That being said, relatively casual research and I think synthetics are a better product. Are they a "necessary" better? That becomes personal and debatable. For me? Since at this point in my life, I can afford synthetic, I'm going with synthetic.

So I recommend synthetic, with the caveat that I think for the casual or common driver, who pays attention to oil condition and changes...the benefit would potentially be almost non-existent.

Quick Reply: any preferred oil?