2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

any preferred oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:34 AM
I use GC (German Castrol). It's the 0w-30 Edge stuff. Supposedly there are 2 different types.. one made in the USA and the other made in Germany. I only see the German stuff when I look tho. Gotta look on the back to see where it's made.

If possible, you should always run 0w-xx weight because it warms up quicker and provides better protection before the oil heats up. Some people say it's thinner and worse.. blah blah, but this is untrue. The 2nd number is what your high heat numbers protection rating is. For EXCELLENT reading on oil, go to bobistheoilguy.com

On my other cars I run a higher end synthetic (Royal purple). Some people think synthetics are all the same, but that is untrue as well. I'm not going to get anything crazy on the Fit tho seriously go to the website and read up and you'll never look at oil the same. The forum on there is good too!

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
The EDGE products from Castrol is not the German made oil. It will have to say "European Formula" on the bottle.

Also Royal Purple isn't that great IMO, You should look into AMSOIL if your on bobistheoilguy.com

Old 06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
I know Amsoil is good but I get RP for free (to a limit and is why I don't use it on all cars) and so I ain't complaining I know I'm using the GC stuff.. it may say European formula but I can't think of what the bottle looks like off the top of my head lol

Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jayhawker
What oil is the norm here? While I was dropping mine off this evening, I saw that San Tan Honda was selling Eneos for $10.95 a quart. That's almost twice as much of 2 Mobil1 5 quart jugs. Then I looked at Motul and that is hella expensive as well. I need to find an AMSOIL rep here locally to see what they want to charge for a quart.

I can honestly say I plan on owning this car till it dies. I will be doing all the maintenance myself, and if it's something I can't do, my buddy is a tech at honda and will help me on a sunday. Looking forward to some years and use out of this car.

If you survey racers you'll find Mobil 1 is the overwhelming majority of racer's oil. For that exdtreme service thats a great advertisement. Ask Chump car competitors especially those 25 hour events.
Don't know about you but thats why we have used Mobil 1 since it showed up with discussiomns with Mobil engineers.
In more than 600 racing events it has never failed us.
There may be others as good, or better, but don't know anyone who uses anything else. For us, the less you use your car or the harder you use it, Mobil 1 is the choice.

Last edited by mahout; 06-17-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
I've used Mobil 1 since break in on my 2012. I change at 5K and just turned 25K on the clock.I could go longer between changes but I feel 5K is a good interval for my driving conditions.

I ran Royal Purple in most of my other cars but they were all V8 American Iron

Old 06-17-2013, 02:22 PM
The last time I saw a friend of mine blow a motor at HPDE he was running Royal Purple I don't think it was the oil's fault though.

I always burned a shit-ton of RP when I ran it in the past (not on Fit) compared to other oils (even cheapy Valvoline semi-synthetic) so I gave up on it. I have a feeling it's a bit thinner than advertised.

I just run Mobil1 5W-20 now on the Fit. Works for me. No burning or loss in 10k intervals, engine isn't noisy at all even towards the end of the oil's life, so I see no reason for something more serious.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Funny thing is I don't seem to keep a car long enough to make much of a difference what kind of oil I use

Old 06-21-2013, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 0bLiViOuS
I know Amsoil is good but I get RP for free (to a limit and is why I don't use it on all cars) and so I ain't complaining I know I'm using the GC stuff.. it may say European formula but I can't think of what the bottle looks like off the top of my head lol
Oh well then....Free is the magic word! LOL!

Our 2013 Fit is due for it's next oil change 9 months old and it's already at 23K.

Filling it up with the AMSOIL Premium 15K+ oil change intervals, will do a UOA to see if I can push it for longer oil changes.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:05 AM
It won't be a while until I have my oil change but I was considering using Motul 8100 X-cess 5w-40.
Reason being I've got lots of 5l bottles since I use them for my Accord Type-R.
Guess the Fit/Jazz wouldn't complain about that...

Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
I just changed my oil with the finest synthetic Wal-Mart had on the shelf........Royal Purple 0W-20 full synthetic and a Fram Ultra oil filter. Royal Purple got great reviews on Amazon, so I figured I'd give it a try. My engine seems to be running smoother, but it could be all in my head.

I had been getting the oil changes done at the dealership, but got tired of them charging extra for additional services as a part of the 250,000mi powertrain warranty (if I get all servicing done by them). So, I figured I could use better oils and filters and still come out cheaper by doing it myself. This first change cost me $90 though because I ended up having to buy a set of low profile ramps because the ones I had wouldn't fit under the front end of the Fit. I'll eventually start saving money though.

-Dustin