2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Contemplating a Fit - two questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Contemplating a Fit - two questions

I am 90% confident on getting a Fit in the next week as my first car purchase, and with the space, almost like a mini-apartment.
Looking at the Fit, the inside was perfect in form and function. It's an incredibly innovative achievement, setting itself as a work of art (in my eyes) for any car maker to find inspiration upon.
(I think most of minivans and sedans would be better off a cliff and replaced with a standard of the fit, personal opinion)

Questions:

1) Is it more logical to buy straight from the car lot (dealership) or try buying online (where you can put in custom additions)? If so, by how much? (Apparently one can get lower prices then the MSRP.)

2) I was reading Popular Mechanics, in which it said the newer model 2010 took some of the fun out of the Fit:
2009 Honda Fit Test Drive: Has Fit Gotten Fat as New Hybrid Awaits? - Popular Mechanics
"The Drive
From behind the wheel, the new Fit seems like a much larger car than before. The interior is spacious and airy for front and rear seat passengers alike, compared to the original. There's more room for stuff, too, with an extra drink holder in every door pocket and large twin glove boxes.

Once under way, the most noticeable characteristic of the new Fit is the improved ride quality. As much as we enjoyed the moves of the old Fit, that firm suspension could get tedious over rough pavement and freeway expansion joints. No more. The new one feels much more refined and isolated from the world around it. In other words, you won't tire from driving the Fit on longer trips. But the flip side to a smoother ride is usually a handling compromise. And that's partially true here as well.

The new Fit still has quick steering and corners flat. It's balanced and capable, especially with the larger 16-in. tires. However a bit of the fun has disappeared. As isolated and smooth as it is over rough roads, the new Fit isn't quite the go-kart it once was. A back-to-back drive of old versus new confirmed our impressions. We suspect most drivers looking for a car in this class will be willing to trade some of that spunky fun attitude for the more refined package—especially if long freeway commutes are the norm rather than the exception."

Is it still a fun car?

If someone also is able to help, the only other car i'm considering at this point is the Volkswagen Golf TDI. I know it's in another class, but upon comparing the Fit and the Fiesta, I felt like the Fiesta was confused in it's role of what to do.
Focusing on the importance, the Fiesta's importance lacked in the middle of the interior, the seats. In which I didn't understand having a middle range of seat's that couldn't fold flat and neither were remotely comfortable.
What's the point? I'd rather have them out of existance in that case.
Anyways, I thought the Fiesta tried balancing Trendy/Sporty and Efficient/Practical, ultimately feeling lackluster in both.
If I was getting a car for MPG and sporty driving (subjective) then the Golf would be better then the Fiesta. In which my thoughts on the Golf was that I heard upon break-in of the Diesel Engine that the diesel engine can achieve 40+ MPG (one person even said 50). There's really no way to assure this except personal experience, as even reviewers don't break in a car. (if it is a true idea.)
Just curious if someone has tried the recent Golf Diesel version to make any commentary. In which I ask to listen with open ears as each car industry seems to be changing and taking a unique direction.
And add what their thought's were of driving the Golf

Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
You can do way better than MSRP on most cars, and it would be worth spending a bunch of hours reading about how to buy a car before you ever set foot in a dealership.

Truecar.com is one place to start. There are also a lot of books written on the subject, although one written more than a couple of years ago won't have as much stuff in it about shopping on-line.

And at this point if there are still 2010s on the lot you should probably be getting them for below dealer cost (I paid $16k for a 2010 Fit Sport AT at the end of November).

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Agree with Brian, you can do way better than MSRP. there's a "what did you pay for your fit" thread just a few threads down/up from this one and you'll see probably no one paid MSRP. you'll likely pay closer to invoice.

As for the fun factor. The Fit has it. My last car was a Nissan Altima 3.5SE with a 270hp V6. Nice Car but the fit is more fun, even with 153hp less.

~SB

Old 01-23-2011, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
iam going to answer your second question... supposedly the fit is more fun to drive then the previous generations.... according to all these sources i have listed below:.. which one happens to be the Honda.com website... it is the completely opposite of what your thinking or posted....

All which is new compared to the older fits:
-Increase Rigidity by by 164% (yeah.. i thought rigidity was only a thing in Grand Tourismo video games... lol)
-54% of the steel is supposed to be high tensile (supposed to help handling and ect)
-ACE body structure
-Frame design creates quieter ride

heres the citations:
2009 Honda Fit - Body - Structure - Honda.com
Honda's fit is trim: though slightly larger, roomier, and more powerful than before, the 2009 Fit combines sportiness and refinement in a package with global reach | Automotive Design & Production | Find Articles at BNET
New York 2008: 2009 Honda Fit gets in shape — Autoblog
i know wikipedia is horrible for citing but... : Honda Fit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i mean.... i think that website you posted may be the ONLY place i have found that has actually said the honda fit handles worst then the previous honda fit... and they aren't even stating anything fact.. they are using the words... "USUALLY" which means they do not know.. but they "THINK"

it seems like in general the only thing that is worst on this fit then the old one is... its bigger... by a little bit.... and the gas tank of the old honda fit is bigger... by a few 10ths... 10ths!!! so i guess the old honda fit has something going for it that the new one does not (and some people... such as myself.. believe that stuff like that is actually a positive) .... and those are actually facts... not using words like "USUALLY"

and keep in mind the things i listed above is just whats NEW on the new honda fit compared to the older one.. if you want to base your purchase off of what you posted.. then go ahead and buy the old honda fit... but keep in mind performance isn't measured by how rough the ride is... BMW's and Mercedes Benz, Cadillac, Volvo all rides super smooth like Luxury cars but i can assure you they handle much much much much much much better then their non-luxury brand counter parts... for example BMW is known for their smoothness in driving, but they have aggressive low profile and big wheels.... if they can do that.. why can't honda.... its ridiculous that they even bashed the honda fit for increasing their wheel size to 16 inch... many car manufactures have way more agressive rim and tire and still have the ability to ride great..

Last edited by Vash; 01-23-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ekeh Mayu
I am 90% confident on getting a Fit in the next week as my first car purchase...

Questions:

1) Is it more logical to buy straight from the car lot (dealership) or try buying online (where you can put in custom additions)? If so, by how much? (Apparently one can get lower prices then the MSRP.)
If you work a decent dealer he/they will give you just as good a deal as anyone online. Unless you find a used Fit Sport in decent shape, I don't think there's going to be that much variation in price. There won't be that much variation even on a used model online. At least not from what I saw when I was shopping my Fit.

Honda doesn't seem to give as much breathing room for dealers as other manufacturers. Still, you can get deals from dealers... as far as "deals" on a Fit are concerned.

2) I was reading Popular Mechanics, in which it said the newer model 2010 took some of the fun out of the Fit...

...From behind the wheel, the new Fit seems like a much larger car than before.
The 2009/2010 Fit is a little larger and quite a bit different from the pre-2009 models. Other than that, the 2009 and 2010 models are absolutely identical... there was no change whatsoever, in any way, shape or form between the 2009 and 2010 models. At least, that's how it was here in the U.S. market.

I remember reading an article from a writer stating he thought the "2009 Fit had a little less of that go-kart handling/feeling the 2007/2008 models had... but I don't recall reading any article stating anything other than that. Even the guy who wrote that article stated it was a very miniscule change in handling between 2008 and 2009 models. Not less fun, just different in feel.

Again: 2009/2010 = identical features, identical options!

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM
If you want value, can't beat the fit. Utility, fuel economy and fun to drive for a low cost. Someone totaled mine 3 months after purchasing, I went right right back to the dealer for another.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Like you, I am also on the verge of purchasing a Fit... likely sometime over the summer/fall.

Keep in mind that all the reviews you read will be subjective as per the perspective of the review but that overall the Fit is rated as an excellent
vehicle for its category.

As for driving experience... the best is to go take one out for a test drive rather than relying upon the interpretation of others.

Price... negotiate. Don't pay MSRP... pay less.

Paying cash and going for the test drive after price is negotiated places you in the best possible position... after all you can always tell the dealer you want to know if you can afford it prior to going for a test drive.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
I suggest going to a dealer. Look at the 2010 and the 2011. Around this area, the 2011 will cost you at least $2000 more, but that's because the dealers are trying to move the 2010's and have therefore lowered the prices on those.

The 2011's have Traction and Stability control standard. And depending on model, the floor mats and USB are standard as well. If this is important enough to you, then get the 2011.

2010's are selling for well below invoice in this area.

Also, don't assume that paying cash will get you the best price. Many dealers are more interested in getting you a loan and will lower the price based on that. Honda finance is still offering 0.9%, which could be a better deal depending on the price.

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
I drive a GD.. And I test drove a couple GEs before I made my purchase and theyre both really fun to drive. My Fit was my first BIG purchase so I did my research as well. I bought mine used because I preferred the go kart like handling of the GD as the GE is slightly larger.. It would be nice to have a couple extra cup holders but I was happy with my decision. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
After a test drive, I offered the Honda dealer Edumund's TMV price via email, they accepted, and it was an easy car purchase. (I got a decent deal and they made some money.)

The prices I've seen on TrueCar for my area are even better than TMV, though. I'd probably give that a try after you test drive the models and make sure you like the car.

I was considering Mazda, but they wanted me to have my credit card ready for deposit for any negotiating outside the office. (Obviously they didn't like the online shopping tools.)

Old 01-23-2011, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
You will certainly pay more for a 2011. I am very happy with my 2 month old 2010 Fit Sport Auto. You can negotiate on the price,but also on accessories. Things like carpeted and all weather mats,cargo cover and tray,rear bumper applique,etc. This is where the online research comes in. Do your homework as far as the cost of these accessories is concerned. You really can't go wrong,and keep in mind that Honda has a good reputation for long term reliability and low maintenance. This should factor in besides a strict price comparison. On a side note,I live in an area that sees an inordinate amount of snow,and had gotten used to all wheel drive. The fwd Fit is very capable in snow and the lack of VSA is a plus imo. My wife's '06 fwd CRV with VSA is les capable in snowy conditions when I drive it. The Fit Sport also comes standard with iPod,USB,and aux in jacks.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:54 PM
The best thing you can do is get your "out the door" quotes from the internet and see who is willing to beat those deals. As others have mentioned, there is .9% financing available on the 2010's. I just traded my 2003 Civic Hybrid in on the 2010 because of the rate and deal.

I will say this...when gas prices get over $3.50 a gallon, dealers will be getting sticker price (there is very minimal profit on a Fit) again for the Fit and the Civics. When it happened in 2008, I was offered crazy money for my Hybrid when gas was right at the $4.00 mark. Every Honda dealer was getting sticker then and I think it might happen again.

To me, the Fit feels like a race car compared to the Hybrid. I will miss the gas mileage, but I am confidet I can get the mpg's to the upper 30's. The only thing I don't like is that I had to settle for red.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jayhawker
The best thing you can do is get your "out the door" quotes from the internet and see who is willing to beat those deals. As others have mentioned, there is .9% financing available on the 2010's. I just traded my 2003 Civic Hybrid in on the 2010 because of the rate and deal.

I will say this...when gas prices get over $3.50 a gallon, dealers will be getting sticker price (there is very minimal profit on a Fit) again for the Fit and the Civics. When it happened in 2008, I was offered crazy money for my Hybrid when gas was right at the $4.00 mark. Every Honda dealer was getting sticker then and I think it might happen again.

To me, the Fit feels like a race car compared to the Hybrid. I will miss the gas mileage, but I am confidet I can get the mpg's to the upper 30's. The only thing I don't like is that I had to settle for red.
I got the .9% for 60 months through Honda. Didn't know they were still doing it. That really made things attractive for me. Paying just under $400 over five years in interest. I got about an $800 discount by simply citing a competing dealer's newspaper ad. I don't like haggling,and had a pretty easy time of it with this car. I wanted the orange,but the blue is nice. It helps that it was still wrapped in plastic and had not been driven once arriving on the dealer lot. I picked it up with 11 miles of dealer testing and prep.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Mine had a build date in Oct of 2010. It had 18 miles when I picked up and it had minor swirling from there washes. They were shocked when I said don't wash it, and let me pull the Manroney sticker. I clayed, polished and sealed it the next afternoon. Yeah, it was in the 70's the past week.

It goes back tomorrow night so they can put the clear bra on it Tues. I just have to flag it some how so they don't wash it.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:33 PM
That's very strange about the VSA making the driving in 'unideal' conditions more difficult. Isn't that it's point in the first place?

Does the pricing of the accessories change from the online stated price and the dealership?

I have contacted five reputable nearby Honda dealers to negotiate availability and pricing.
I'm set that i'm going to get an Orange though, and not compromising to anything else.
While i've found a Sport 2010 and 2011 (A/T) in that color at least at one dealership so far, i'm still contemplating whether a navigation system is worth it.
(I'm still trying to find what's available before making an active move upon quotes, although i've received a few. I've just saved up the money for the car and have no desire to take any loans based on experience with them.)

When I was at the dealership, I thought I had noted a difference in height of the 2010 and 2011 (2-3 inches). Also the head rest seemed to be different for the 2011 for the rear seats. The head rest extended longer, but still was fully closable.
Not sure if anyone else noted these. I may go back tomorrow and bring picture's if it hasn't been pointed out.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
That's very strange about the VSA making the driving in 'unideal' conditions more difficult. Isn't that it's point in the first place?

Does the pricing of the accessories change from the online stated price and the dealership?

I have contacted five reputable nearby Honda dealers to negotiate availability and pricing.
I'm set that i'm going to get an Orange though, and not compromising to anything else.
While i've found a Sport 2010 and 2011 (A/T) in that color at least at one dealership so far, i'm still contemplating whether a navigation system is worth it.
(I'm still trying to find what's available before making an active move upon quotes, although i've received a few. I've just saved up the money for the car and have no desire to take any loans based on experience with them.)

When I was at the dealership, I thought I had noted a difference in height of the 2010 and 2011 (2-3 inches). Also the head rest seemed to be different for the 2011 for the rear seats. The head rest extended longer, but still was fully closable.
Not sure if anyone else noted these. I may go back tomorrow and bring picture's if it hasn't been pointed out.
I had the same problem with a Saturn about 12 years ago. When the wheels begin to slip (as in snow) the power to the drive wheels is reduced and you have to fight with the car to regain control imo. When I drive the CRV and the yellow traction light (VSA) starts flashing,I have to take my foot off the accelerator and try again. In the Fit I can simply moderate my foot. This is my experience,but there may be other factors at work here as well. The CRV does sit alot higher than the Fit. The tires on the CRV are all season and not dedicated snows,just like the Fit.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

The OEM Nav is way overpriced! You can get a nice portable for a tenth of what they want,or less. You could even get a fancy aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth AND Nav for a round a quarter of what they charge for stock Nav. I really dislike anything that's not well blended as in stock. I don't have a portable Nav,but don't really use a Nav in the first place. It is certainly possible to make an aftermarket Nav look like it belongs. The factory Navi is also costly and slow to update the maps. If your portable Nav gets too far out of date,you can simply buy a new one. They also come with bluetooth,MP3 and pic storage,and other fun stuff. On a car priced in the Fit's range,the Nav adds quite a bit. I say skip the factory Nav is you can.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
The OEM Nav is way overpriced! You can get a nice portable for a tenth of what they want,or less. You could even get a fancy aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth AND Nav for a round a quarter of what they charge for stock Nav. I really dislike anything that's not well blended as in stock. I don't have a portable Nav,but don't really use a Nav in the first place. It is certainly possible to make an aftermarket Nav look like it belongs. The factory Navi is also costly and slow to update the maps. If your portable Nav gets too far out of date,you can simply buy a new one. They also come with bluetooth,MP3 and pic storage,and other fun stuff. On a car priced in the Fit's range,the Nav adds quite a bit. I say skip the factory Nav is you can.
I don't mind that it's different, for me I just like the placement of the navigation system. The location of it I found didn't take away and was easy to find.
I'm curious if other navigation system's are able to achieve a hot spot in location.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Skip the NAV. To second what others have said, it's way overpriced. It's just a way for them to add $1000 to the price of the car. You'll get your best deal on a Fit if you can find a 2010 that you like and qualify for the 0.9% financing. I just bought a 2010 Fit Sport M/T in Milano Red and got it OTD for $16,100. This was after I sold my 2009 Civic Si. (Great, GREAT car.) But I decided I'd rather negotiate on a car that gets good mileage NOW, as opposed to when gas hits $4 a gallon. You can go to ConsumerReports.org and pay $15 for a complete breakdown of the pricing on a vehicle, including the invoice price of the options. Then they suggest to you what you should be able to get the vehicle for, price-wise. It's a nice resource. I wish you success.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Ekeh Mayu, I am pretty sure the parts you see on the website are the retail prices that a stealership will try and charge. You are better off going to www.collegehillshonda.com and ordering your accessories or printing out what you want and see if your dealer will price match.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a Fit - two questions