2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Contemplating a Fit - two questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
If I had it to do all over again, I would have skipped the navigation system, as long as I got VSA, etc. Problem is, with the 2009 and 2010 models you couldn't get one without the other. So if you wanted the VSA you were forced to purchase the navi, and vice versa.

VSA has it's saving graces. I disagree with some here about VSA causing you more trouble in less than ideal road conditions. There are conditions where I would actually turn VSA off, and you DO have that option... it's not as if you're stuck with VSA full-time. Yet, I've already seen times where I think VSA actually helped in somewhat icy conditions.

If you want VSA and don't want Honda's navi, then go ahead and purchase the 2011 model. As others have already stated, the 2011 model comes standard with VSA.

As far as details about the navigation system? It could be better, and it could be a lot worse in some areas. The problem I have with it is it's graphically old, the navi system itself is a little odd and even somewhat lacking in behavior/functionality, and even a bit antiquated by modern standards. Honda has had this system in their models for years now, and they won't even agree to update the system graphics and/or user interface.

Personally, compared to a decent aftermarket navi system? (especially considering it's price) I would opt for VSA, and forget the VERY aged navigation system... there are aftermarket models that blow the doors off of the Fit's navigation system. If you opt out of navi, do some research, then go purchase exactly what you want/need out of a navi/audio system.

Visually? To me, Honda's navi system is about as ugly a "modern" interface one can find, anywhere. Actually, more antiquated than ugly. But in the end it all comes out the same, for whatever the reason... it's UI-ugly! Allowing more options for setting color preference would have been, and still would be nice... but Honda seems to suck in the "user-choice" department. Graphically, the current navi system would have been great, even phenomenal, 5-9 years ago!

Still, if you decide to go the 2010 route with VSA and navi, you won't exactly want to kick yourself for having done so. I'm making the best of mine, thus far. It does have it's saving graces.

Again... good luck with your choice.

Last edited by annunC8; 01-24-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
I have only owned a 2010 Honda Fit Sport Automatic. Is one generation more "fun" than the other? That's likely just to cause a heated debate.

I'd say I love my 2010, and compared to all the automobiles I've owned in my lifetime? It's one of the most enjoyable to drive.

I would give a new Fit a high recommendation.

The only thing I wish the new Fits had that Honda discontinued is the "Refresh" mode with the magic seats.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
The only thing I wish the new Fits had that Honda discontinued is the "Refresh" mode with the magic seats.
what is refresh mode?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by zymo
what is refresh mode?
Do a search in this forum and you will be able to see.
It's where you could take the head rest on the front seat you were 'refreshing' on, and connect it to the rear seat (place where you put your butt) to make a sort of bed or fold-down couch.
Looking at a picture, the rear seat had a sort of head rest when you connected the two seats.

Pics:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...gic-seats.html
Honda Fit and REFRESH seating mode...interesting
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...09-fit-69.html

But the newer version's still recline:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ear-seats.html

I guess refresh mode just looked more fluid (except having to remove the head rest)

Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=Ekeh
Questions:
[/quote]

1) Is it more logical to buy straight from the car lot (dealership) or try buying online (where you can put in custom additions)? If so, by how much? (Apparently one can get lower prices then the MSRP.)

Shouldn't make any difference. Both have the same constraints but it won't hurt to shop both and use one against the other. Naturally, if you have a trade-in the dealer has the edge. Be sure to use Edmunds etc to find the wholesale price for your car; right now Fits aren't selling real well, inventories are up, so you could expect to buy a Fit at a couple hundred over wholesale. If your trading in subtract the wholesale for your tradein (be honest about condition) from the new car wholesale and add couple hundre plus the taxes, tags, and title costs.
AND AT THE DEALER YOU GET TO CHECK OUT THE fIT BEFORE BUYING UNLESS YOUR INTERNET SELLER IS CLOSE-BY AND HAS THE ONE YOU WANT.

2) I was reading Popular Mechanics, in which it said the newer model 2010 took some of the fun out of the Fit:
2009 Honda Fit Test Drive: Has Fit Gotten Fat as New Hybrid Awaits? - Popular Mechanics
"The Drive
From behind the wheel, the new Fit seems like a much larger car than before. The interior is spacious and airy for front and rear seat passengers alike, compared to the original. There's more room for stuff, too, with an extra drink holder in every door pocket and large twin glove boxes.

Is it still a fun car?

Thedifferences in 08 to 2010 or 11 are miniscule. Its still a fun car. Honda merely tried to increase inside dimensions and succeeded by an inch or so. Its still a fun car to drive. You won't mistake it for a Yaris, a FIESTA, or my father's Oldsmobile, nor a Miata. The Golf is good but not as good a driver as its a bit heavier.

Last edited by mahout; 01-24-2011 at 06:56 PM.