2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fuel Low Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
First of all let me preface this by saying I do not determine or present this as a problem...just a condition of my Honda Fit. Also...please anyone...do not do what I am doing...just because I say I can do it....I would not want to hear that someone was stranded, injured, or otherwise because they read my thread and decided they could do this....

But...In my opinion, my low fuel warning light comes on way too early. I don't know if it is subtly different from Honda Fit to Honda Fit...

But mine comes on with at least a quarter of an inch until the needle reaches Empty. I have never ran out of gas...but I have kept driving and I can at least go another 40 miles to 50 miles.

In my opinion my "warning" is way too pre-emptive....

It's not really a problem...because filling up is filling up. If I fill up when I first notice...then I pay less because I'm filling less.....

So no harm, no foul, no problem...but I kind of feel like the calibration of when Honda decided to have the light illuminate is far too conservative.

Just wondering if my fuel light is different or just out of adjustment. Or is this the way it is with all Honda Fits?
I've had other vehicles with warning lights...but none that seemed to illuminate this early....

Car designers realized early that the average driver will drive a long way before they notice the low fuel warning light; hence the reason for the 'early' warning and typically 3 gallons of 'reserve'. just of of curiosity, if you refilled quickly after the lite came on, how many gallons did it take? Subtracting your refill from the tank capacity gives you a good idea how much 'reserve' you have and how far you can stretch the miles.
Course, on the other hand, why do you think you have to drive til the warning light's been on for 40-50 miles? Surely someone has explained to you that running injectors dry WILL damage them. That can happen on cornering very easily if your tank is nearly empty and the fuel pump intake sucks air as what little fuel is there rushs to the outside wall.

Last edited by mahout; 05-19-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Car designers realized early that the average driver will drive a long way before they notice the low fuel warning light; hence the reason for the 'early' warning and typically 3 gallons of 'reserve'. just of of curiosity, if you refilled quickly after the lite came on, how many gallons did it take? Subtracting your refill from the tank capacity gives you some idea how much 'reserve' you have and how far you can stretch the miles.
Course, on the other hand, why do you think you have to drive til the warning light's been on for 40-50 miles? Surely someone has explained to you that running injectors dry WILL damage them. That can happen on cornering very easily if your tank is nearly empty and the fuel pump intake sucks air as what little fuel is there rushs to the outside wall.
Holy Resurected Thread Batman!

I posted this almost a year and 1/2 ago.

In the early months of my Fit Ownership...which my original post represents...I was just getting adjusted to the little quirks, nuances and differences of The Fit, like you do with any new vehicle.

I never ran The Fit to an empty or stalling state...I keep an eye on the needle. But kinda like the Seinfield Episode when Kramer test drives a vehicle...I always like to kind of get an idea how many MORE miles I can get, relatively safely once the warning light comes on. So at least once...or twice, I'll drive beyond the warning light.

Which STILL in my opinion illuminates too early.

I agree that running a vehicle out of gas is unwise. I don't do it, and I don't recommend it.

But this original post was just feeling out if what I had "thought" I had discovered was true. That The Fit has a extremely- IMO conservative warning light.

I don't push it too far...but it's nice to know that when it illuminates, I actually have plenty of time to find a gas station.

I'll fill sooner, than later...unless it's like a day before payday...or something like that....

My observation, and just the reality of my Honda Fit, is to fill immediately upon illumination of the warning light, is almost ridiculously too early. In my case, I've got what appears to be almost a 1/4th of a tank.

It's NOT a problem...just something I needed to feel out.

And yes, I agree. Do not push your tank too far to empty, and now that I've had over 2 years of ownership, I've adjusted nicely to the warning light. I call it an "Ample Warning" Light...and it's nice to know when it illuminates I don't have to break into a sweat and worry too much...just casually note that I should get gas at my next best convienence.