2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What's wrong with this picture? (18 MPG, 40k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by know-nothin
I think thhe OP has the perfect storm: starting many times a day, hills, short trips, running AC a lot, etc. Still, I wonder if the real mileage is 18 average. Seems to be ball parking it. I keep track of all my fill ups and average over the life of the car. Getting almost 39 average but my driving conditions are superb here (I can get 32-34 in "the city" because the city means a lot 45 mph with few stops). Still, I would think it's hard to get 18 average unless something is wrong with the car.

This brings me to a pet peeve. Why do people drive a mile many times a day? I can walk 3-5 miles easy and carry some groceries in a back pack. At least combine trips if you must drive. Off my high horse now.
Good name. Know more than the OP. He is ball parking it( I suspect he hasn't a clue how to do it properly) or the car is broke.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Quite upset? The dealer should have told you? Come on get real. A/C is a real killer? Yea maybe a couple MPGs. If A/C was that bad then they would never have installed it in the first place.
What I am trying to get at is instead of the dealer spending his time teaching me the obvious such as how to switch on the head lights, front wipers, back wipers and adjust the clock, his time would be better spent (and I would be more thankful to him) if he had told me the obscure features specific to the FIT ie ghost aircon dial or at least direct me to the owners manual for that obscure feature in the FIT. A number of posters in this thread are not aware of this feature as well

After I realized my blunder and stop keeping my dial at windshield vent blower, my MPG (In canadian terms as you are from Ontario) improves from 9.6 litres/100 km to 8.1 litres/100 km (pure City driving in both cases)

Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
To OP
I have a '08 GD3 too and the milage has Dropped Drasticaly since November. 29.7 to 27. No changes in D.D. habits just temp and winter gas mix maybe??? I don't know but if this is what happens to the mileage after 3 years this ......???

So what was your average milage before 18mpg?? 25, 35, 40? The very best I have gotten in the past year is 36.6mpg in May, all hiway driving that trip.

Hey OP your a funny kid i like that observation
I try to keep my RPM around 3000-4000, I rarely gun it to show off, as showing off in the Fit is a relative term

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 01-23-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
What I am trying to get at is instead of the dealer spending his time teaching me the obvious such as how to switch on the head lights, front wipers, back wipers and adjust the clock, his time would be better spent (and I would be more thankful to him) if he had told me the obscure features specific to the FIT ie ghost aircon dial or at least direct me to the owners manual for that obscure feature in the FIT. A number of posters in this thread are not aware of this feature as well

After I realized my blunder and stop keeping my dial at windshield vent blower, my MPG (In canadian terms as you are from Ontario) improves from 9.6 litres/100 km to 8.1 litres/100 km (pure City driving in both cases)
I question why you keep it running on defrost once the windsheild is clear? As soon as my is I set it to either floor or the combo of floor dash outlets to get warm.

Very good for 8.1 city. I just got 8.0 but 350km of 500 was at 120kph hwy.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I question why you keep it running on defrost once the windsheild is clear? As soon as my is I set it to either floor or the combo of floor dash outlets to get warm.

Very good for 8.1 city. I just got 8.0 but 350km of 500 was at 120kph hwy.
You are absolutely right Black3sr, wef January 2011, as soon as my windshield is clear, I set it to either floor or the combo of floor dash outlets to get warm.

From Aug 2010 to Dec 2010, I was a newbie, assuming the the FIT works the same way as my old Accord did... ie I turned the dial to windshield just to blow fresh air (without A/C) to the windshield vent and if I need A/C, I just pressed the A/C on switch.. that how I used the defogger for 10 years in the Accord...

stupid me, I assumed that I could do the same thing on the FIT that I can just blow fresh air without A/C to the windshield but I found out I was wrong 5 months later! that FIT has a ghost A/C on dial to two windshield positions...

Now I know and I made it a point to alert as many FIT owners who may not be aware of this ghost A/C on switch so that they will not make the same mistakes I did for 5 months.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM
If your in the north, don't forget the "winter blend" gas. I have lost 5 to 7 MPG per tank over the past two winters.

This car is terrible when it cold and your taking short trips, especially when I can get 45 MPG in the summer on the highway.

Click on my Fuelly icon below to see my results.

Last edited by 55Fit55; 01-24-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ric01
You are absolutely right Black3sr, wef January 2011, as soon as my windshield is clear, I set it to either floor or the combo of floor dash outlets to get warm.

From Aug 2010 to Dec 2010, I was a newbie, assuming the the FIT works the same way as my old Accord did... ie I turned the dial to windshield just to blow fresh air (without A/C) to the windshield vent and if I need A/C, I just pressed the A/C on switch.. that how I used the defogger for 10 years in the Accord...

stupid me, I assumed that I could do the same thing on the FIT that I can just blow fresh air without A/C to the windshield but I found out I was wrong 5 months later! that FIT has a ghost A/C on dial to two windshield positions...

Now I know and I made it a point to alert as many FIT owners who may not be aware of this ghost A/C on switch so that they will not make the same mistakes I did for 5 months.
On my 06 accord ex, setting the system to blow on the windshield also turns on the ac. On every car I've owned, I'm pretty sure blowing on the windshield turns on the AC. Its what cars do, because you want dry air blowing on the windshield, and the ac dries out the air.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
On my 06 accord ex, setting the system to blow on the windshield also turns on the ac. On every car I've owned, I'm pretty sure blowing on the windshield turns on the AC. Its what cars do, because you want dry air blowing on the windshield, and the ac dries out the air.
That's interesting malraux.about all later cars having that feature. Guess I have not been in tune with newer cars because my accord was 2001 that did not have such feature... and guess I am 10 years behind. Now I know and I will stop whining and harping on this point from henceforth... thanks