2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cracked rear view mirror? (maybe due to cold???)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Cracked rear view mirror? (maybe due to cold???)

I've never had a rear view mirror crack on me until now. Is it normal for this to happen? Anyone know if this is covered under warranty and if I could just go to any Honda dealer for a replacement?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
when I see "rear view mirror" i think of the center one. or are you talking about the ones on the side?

the outside ones could've been smacked by someone passing by.

the inside one... there's a potential of thermal shock. but you'd need to get it very hot then very cold VERY quickly.

there's an episode (or was it a commercial) of Mythbusters that showed the effect that "MacGyver" used in that show. The effect was, a light bulb that had been on a while, got sprayed with a cold solution. The sudden cooling caused the glass bulb to go through thermal shock and shatter.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by joro
I've never had a rear view mirror crack on me until now. Is it normal for this to happen? Anyone know if this is covered under warranty and if I could just go to any Honda dealer for a replacement?
I have had an outside rear view mirror crack twice in the winter... but on vehicles other than a Honda.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
when I see "rear view mirror" i think of the center one. or are you talking about the ones on the side?

the outside ones could've been smacked by someone passing by.

the inside one... there's a potential of thermal shock. but you'd need to get it very hot then very cold VERY quickly.

there's an episode (or was it a commercial) of Mythbusters that showed the effect that "MacGyver" used in that show. The effect was, a light bulb that had been on a while, got sprayed with a cold solution. The sudden cooling caused the glass bulb to go through thermal shock and shatter.
I'm talking about the rear view mirror (inside center one), not the side mirrors (outside of car). I have no idea how it cracked, I barely drive the car too. Maybe 5 miles a week max.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, should be covered under warranty. it could have cracked from the impact when you switch night/day mode on that little lever underneath.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, should be covered under warranty. it could have cracked from the impact when you switch night/day mode on that little lever underneath.
I've never switched it since I've had the car actually, but thanks for the info. I'll check with the local honda dealer about covering it under warranty.