2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is my gas mileage so crappy? 32mpg, 20K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
You're makin me wish I had a GD. I'm trying to find that Vtec spot in my Fit. Wonder if I could fit it out with an ANSA... I do have an Italian air horn...
You will find it with the right gas and also see it.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Completely different vtec mechanism between gd and ge. Ge is the traditional original vtec cam profile switch vtec at 5300 rpms. Gd is the twisted 3v-4v vtec very early in the rpm range.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
5300rpm - phew, that's what I was afraid of [been thinking]... or challenged by, hmmm.

Seriously though, what's Honda thinking setting the Vtec so high.
It's not like the average econo driver is ever going to see that.
It's telling me that 5th is really the over drive gear and I should be focused on 4th.

I'm thinking I've got to drive it to get below a 9K oil change window.
This might turn out to be as much fun as my 69Alfa Spyder. It's got a 1.75L engine and mechanical fuel injection and no fargin ecu. No idea on the MPG's either, never cared.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Watch out KC, that kind of thinking will have you being targeted and flamed by the Honda engineers knows what is best for you, and I drive slowly people.... I haven't had as much fun on 4 wheels as I am having now since I was rebuilding engines that I was blowing up on a weekly basis in my 66 Beetle... I could never keep one together past 5000 RPM and was revving over 7000 to the dismay of numerous highly revered Big 3 high performance car owners... The boosted Fit is deja vu all over again with out the constant rebuilds and having to ride a bike or bus to work when down. The smell of the exhaust fumes are like a youth tonic.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
I smacked the vtec really noticeably only once thus far, I believe. I was pissed about something in my day and while in low gear I punched the gas. Let me tell ya, that vtec roar caught me by surprise BIG time! LOL! I was smiling again in no time! I liked it a bunch. The only thing though- it didn't move the car all that much faster, but it sure sounded great! My previous car was an 8 cyl cougar, so not only could that car roar, but it moved in a hurry too. The Fits vtec barks nice, but movement...well.

As far as mpg's, what I notice is the first 25 miles or so after a reset of the gauge will pretty much set the story for mpg's for that tank of gas. In that first 25 miles, the average is very sensitive and changes easily up or down. After that time period, things even out and it becomes more of a struggle to get that average up to higher numbers. If after a fresh reset I do short hops for a couple of days, I struggle to get good numbers the rest of the tank. If I start out doing some highway miles, my average sets up nicely and will stay high even if I finish off the rest of the tank with city driving- although it will drop back accordingly. If at any point I do some highway driving, my numbers go way up, often times helping out my struggle with a low average at the time. That first 25 miles is crucial. Drive like an ass, or just being stuck with lousy stop and go driving during that time period, you'll struggle with low average numbers. Conditions are everything. Better conditions get you better numbers. Eight months ago I just drove and didn't care too much. Now that prices have marched back up into considerably high numbers at the pump, I care more and try harder to get the most out of a tank. Sometimes I do really well, and sometimes due to circumstances, it's more of a struggle. But at more than twice the mpg's I ever got previous to the Fit, I'm happy regardless, really.

Dan

Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
5300rpm - phew, that's what I was afraid of [been thinking]... or challenged by, hmmm.

Seriously though, what's Honda thinking setting the Vtec so high.
It's not like the average econo driver is ever going to see that.
It's telling me that 5th is really the over drive gear and I should be focused on 4th.

I'm thinking I've got to drive it to get below a 9K oil change window.
This might turn out to be as much fun as my 69Alfa Spyder. It's got a 1.75L engine and mechanical fuel injection and no fargin ecu. No idea on the MPG's either, never cared.

I don't know if anyone recalls but I designed a mechanism out of an rpm switch and 2 relays that allowed me to engage vtec at any rpm I chose. The results were... Disappointing. On the plus side my experiment should save others the trouble of wasted time and effort.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
You are right about the more sophisticated valve train of the GEs.. There is a loss of power visible on a dyno graph at somewhere around 4000 RPM just after the Vtec transition on stock GDs because of a drop in the intake flow velocity... It has been awhile since I became aware of the transition point but I am thinking it was around 3600 RPM... Just going by the sound of my exhaust and the increase in resonance at 3000 RPM and a big drop in noise at 4000RPM. I am thinking that drop is when the transition is set at now since the reflash since there would be a much less drop in the intake velocity with boost... I wish the speed limit was 95 because it just feels so right at that speed and does it so effortlessly where at 70 at 3500 RPM I have to use the exhaust valve to make the exhaust drone bearable...

Old 02-16-2011, 09:47 AM
I thought the speed limit in Texas was 95... learn somethin every day.

Let me quote you Coyote:
The smell of the exhaust fumes are like a youth tonic.
You've got to be thinking of the pre catalytic days when leaded fuel was the norm and cars smelled like trucks. Sort of like good old Hoppes No.9. Now there's an idea, Two new fragrances for real men or daring women.

Lyon - you've done more to the GE than many can even imagine. You've boosted my understanding by realizing there really isn't a waste of time associated with hard work and effort.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
My '10 A/T Sport has been pretty poor in the MPG department so far. Only had to fill up twice, first tank was 26.5 MPG, second was 25. I'm guessing this is because my daily commute is about 3.5 miles, hilly, lots of stops, and pretty much everytime I've started the car the cold engine light is on. Though from reading this thread, I also may start being a little heavier on the accelerator, I've been very light with it in hopes to help fuel economy, but if I can have more fun driving AND get better mpgs, count me in.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Hey guys I live in Los angeles and i always on the 10, 101, 405 freeways on bumper to bumper and some open freeway times. I have a base 2010 FIT with 5300 miles. my regular speed when i can is 85 and my slowest can be up to 5 mph and im averaging 30 mpg. i lowered it and put 17" wheels and now im averaging 29.4. Not bad for me. I used to drive my audi and was getting half of the mpg.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by srkishy
My '10 A/T Sport has been pretty poor in the MPG department so far. Only had to fill up twice, first tank was 26.5 MPG, second was 25. I'm guessing this is because my daily commute is about 3.5 miles, hilly, lots of stops, and pretty much everytime I've started the car the cold engine light is on. Though from reading this thread, I also may start being a little heavier on the accelerator, I've been very light with it in hopes to help fuel economy, but if I can have more fun driving AND get better mpgs, count me in.
That is pretty much worst case scenario, you would be a good candidate for a hybrid.

Originally Posted by hqrshwge8
Hey guys I live in Los angeles and i always on the 10, 101, 405 freeways on bumper to bumper and some open freeway times. I have a base 2010 FIT with 5300 miles. my regular speed when i can is 85 and my slowest can be up to 5 mph and im averaging 30 mpg. i lowered it and put 17" wheels and now im averaging 29.4. Not bad for me. I used to drive my audi and was getting half of the mpg.
30mpg on 17" wheels in LA traffic is actually pretty impressive.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-16-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
That is pretty much worst case scenario, you would be a good candidate for a hybrid.
I'd actually say he's the perfect candidate for a FIT EV (when it arrives) or a LEAF. Hybrid would be good if longer trips were occasional with only one vehicle but even then, it would be a Toyota for which they would benefit. Honda's IMA isn't really much better than a standard small engine in stop/go traffic. You need a system that runs solely on battery to take advantage of stop/go traffic.

~SB

Old 02-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
I'd actually say he's the perfect candidate for a FIT EV (when it arrives) or a LEAF. Hybrid would be good if longer trips were occasional with only one vehicle but even then, it would be a Toyota for which they would benefit. Honda's IMA isn't really much better than a standard small engine in stop/go traffic. You need a system that runs solely on battery to take advantage of stop/go traffic.

~SB
Good points as usual! I agree with that.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
I considered hybrids, but with my math the extra money for the car didn't justify the gas savings. I've got no complaints with the mileage, I came from a '99 Taurus where I was getting about 16MPG a tank. My situation also isn't cemented in, I plan on moving within a year, so that will change things. I plan on owning this car for a long long time, so it doesn't really concern me.

Although I am also considering picking up some lightweight wheels and tires for use during the spring summer and winter.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by srkishy
I considered hybrids, but with my math the extra money for the car didn't justify the gas savings. I've got no complaints with the mileage, I came from a '99 Taurus where I was getting about 16MPG a tank. My situation also isn't cemented in, I plan on moving within a year, so that will change things. I plan on owning this car for a long long time, so it doesn't really concern me.

Although I am also considering picking up some lightweight wheels and tires for use during the spring summer and winter.
There ya go! Pick up the wheels in the name of fuel economy... That's what I'm trying to tell my wife! but damnit, the stock wheels are already getting us 38mpg so it's not going to work!

~Sigh.

ok... so if she reads this, she'll say I'm lying and deny it all. Well, She'd be right. i'd love wheels but it's just not gonna happen.

~SB