2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is my gas mileage so crappy? 32mpg, 20K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
This was on a long highway trip to Atlantic City NJ.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
reset ur trip meter
u'll soon see mpg like this pic (not mine) from point A to B

Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nahalvin
reset ur trip meter
u'll soon see mpg like this pic (not mine) from point A to B

Like this?

I'm still averaging 28 a tank, every tank, over 21,500 miles.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 PM
I have about 1200 miles on my Fit now and although my driving is about 65% highway/35% city, I seem to average between 30-35mpg per tank with no real effort on my part. I do go to the "name brand" gas stations...maybe I'm looney, but it seems like I always got much better fuel efficiency from my cars from the BPs, Shells, and Sunocos of the world than these off shoot places (Delta, etc)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MikePDaTruth
I have about 1200 miles on my Fit now and although my driving is about 65% highway/35% city, I seem to average between 30-35mpg per tank with no real effort on my part. I do go to the "name brand" gas stations...maybe I'm looney, but it seems like I always got much better fuel efficiency from my cars from the BPs, Shells, and Sunocos of the world than these off shoot places (Delta, etc)
A name brand has a reputation to up hold. If the gas was bad it would get around pretty quick. I like those brands too.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm not too surprised that your Echo got better gas mileage then the fit. The Echo was a real stand out in fuel economy. It was probably geared, tuned, etc to get the max fuel economy. The Fit on the other hand compromises a bit on fuel economy to get better performance.

I wonder if the lack of resistance in the Fit's gas pedal isn't a factor. When I first got my Fit I drove more aggressively then I intended because my muscle memory was still trained to my old car so I was applying more pressure then needed.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
Check this out, https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hrottle+spring It has helped fuel mileage figures and prevents muscle aches from having to hold back the ball of your foot all of the time to avoid using too much throttle.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by PoliceCallBox
I'm not too surprised that your Echo got better gas mileage then the fit. The Echo was a real stand out in fuel economy. It was probably geared, tuned, etc to get the max fuel economy. The Fit on the other hand compromises a bit on fuel economy to get better performance.

I wonder if the lack of resistance in the Fit's gas pedal isn't a factor. When I first got my Fit I drove more aggressively then I intended because my muscle memory was still trained to my old car so I was applying more pressure then needed.
My exwife had an Echo for a while. That car was surprisingly quick, given its meager power (108 hp I think). Weighing barely over 2100 lbs helped! The inside was very cheaply made. It reminded me of the trim in the coach section in a discount airline: cheap plastic panels, garish seat fabric, flimsy parts.

Last edited by Occam; 02-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I have learned and confirmed that the L15A likes to be revved and babying the throttle kills mpg. Tire pressure yields a night and day difference... it can break or make your mpg. Different driving situations and habbits yields different outcomes and impacts the mpg a lot. The fit is not a full proof solution. Whether your fit yields mpg in the teens or in the 40s. it can only be as good to where it is best used and applicable.
Check my https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ing-fit-3.html it's ridiculously poor mpg was a huge let down to me at first... but it all has it's reason and taking in consideration of the advise given... I am now in the low to mid 20s on my mpg and betters in the mid to high 30s when driving highways.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
I kind of agree but where I differ is that I am rather gentle on the throttle but allow the revs to freely climb... I never saw a negative difference in highway mileage by driving under 70 MPH and 80 has always sounded and felt right... When my car was still N/A, 37 to 39 MPG was common at 85 MPH when the weather was cool enough to not have the windows down or the A/C on.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
I do a ton of city driving now, and only drive more than 10 miles once a week now. I get around 27 MPG. I could probably get higher, but it's way the hell too much fun to drop the hammer from a red light.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
I do a ton of city driving now, and only drive more than 10 miles once a week now. I get around 27 MPG. I could probably get higher, but it's way the hell too much fun to drop the hammer from a red light.
So true!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
I have learned and confirmed that the L15A likes to be revved and babying the throttle kills mpg.
This is true. In fact, when I first got my Fit this was one of the biggest things that I had to get used to. I was used to easing on the throttle, never really dropping the hammer so I could get max mpg. The first week I owned the car, my combined mpg was in the 25-29 range using that method. The Fit really doesn't like to be driven this way. It's definitely a rev-happy engine...which is very nice, since I don't have to compromise performance to get good efficiency. This is especially true in the lower gears - the quicker you can get into 5th the better. Not that I stomp on the gas from a start, but since I've become more aggressive with the throttle, the better my fuel economy has become, and now I've been in the 30-35mpg range I've stated above with every tank.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Taking the revs up is not a problem, throttle position has a lot to do with seeing good MPG. Like Coyote points out, let the Fit get to where it wants to get.

I'm rarely more than 75% down on the accelerator.

I'll agree that keeping it in high gear as much as possible is also beneficial. Amazes me how much local driving I can comfortably do in 5th. The other side of that is that I can drop down a gear essentially in any gear at just about any speed to grab some torque.

I'm seeing 34-36MPG this winter and 38+ in the warmer months.

The other thing I noticed w/ my 2010 was MPG's improved as I drove it. Somewhere around 5K miles it seems to settle in to it's current state.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Like Coyote points out, let the Fit get to where it wants to get.

I'm rarely more than 75% down on the accelerator.
I've learned to let it do that, Krimson. I'm also rarely more than 75% on the gas pedal as well.

I have the auto Sport w/ the paddle shifters. In order to get high mpg (and the best performance), I've learned that you have to use the paddles to your advantage instead of leaving the tranny up to its own devices.

The Fit does drive very comfortably in its highest gear, so I paddle up to 5th as soon as possible. If I'm on the highway (which is often) and need to pass someone, a quick paddle downshift does the job in short order. As long as you know how to work the paddles to exploit the Fit's engine, my fuel economy has been well within the advertised range, and I've never felt underpowered.

Now if I could only master the art of engine braking I'd be fine! I'm practicing, though.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Down shift at the right time.... these days you'll get criticized for it.
Folks think you're going to damage something, others think it will kill MPG's.
With the Fit having injector cut-off that's not likely, but the practice is usually associated with a more aggressive performance driving style.

Bag's of fun in the esses.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Down shift at the right time.... these days you'll get criticized for it.
Folks think you're going to damage something, others think it will kill MPG's.
With the Fit having injector cut-off that's not likely, but the practice is usually associated with a more aggressive performance driving style.

Bag's of fun in the esses.
Yep, I have been criticized by people on Fit Freak for hitting the rev limiter when it was at the stock setting.. I hit it in second gear last night again at the Hondata reflashed setting of 7100 RPM... There is no way that high revs are going to hurt one of these engines unless something else is wrong, like low oil level or a busted radiator hose, but even then the ECU would trigger the limp home mode.... DSM posted something awhile back that I have found to be very true; The ECU will not advance ignition timing as high on cars that are never driven except at low RPM.. That means that when you are at a steady speed with a light load on the engine the fuel may not be igniting soon enough to make maximum power under that driving condition and more throttle is necessary to maintain speed.. I have seen considerably less ignition advance after driving a few times at low RPM where more throttle is needed than would be used in a lower gear at higher RPM and I have also gotten horrible fuel mileage when I have driven that way for a full tank of fuel... The worse I have gotten driving with the throttle down and on boost going very fast has been right at the same as when I have babied it to death... I took it very easy on my last tank and actually got my all time lowest fuel mileage when I did the math at my last fill up, just over 26MPG, 27.3 MPG had been the worst I had gotten before while whooping it up.... Just winding it out with the pedal down in one or two gears a couple of times every 75 or 100 miles will improve your mileage and shifting down and using a light foot on the throttle instead staying in a gear at too low of a RPM level too pick up speed when you need to without holding the throttle down will help improve your mileage. I think that using this method with a car with automatic transmission instead of letting horsepower and torque be use up by the hydraulic system and converter would make a big difference in mileage.... Those little paddles can save money and also be fun to use.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Not too get too far off topic, but I've been working on understanding the Vtec threshold. I believe it's a high RPM and that would support the ECU wanting to see the engine reaching that point to optimize the mapped set up.

Not sure that makes sense yet, but I'm working on it.

Need the Honda Fit ECU Bible.......

Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
My ECU has had the Vtec reset.. Since I have noticed that in 5th gear the exhaust note is loud and annoying between 3000 and 4000 RPM and I don't remember it being that way before... To be honest, except for looking like a Fit my car is steadily becoming a different type of car... I believe that on a Fit the Vtec function is set up more toward improving the torque at low revs than making more horsepower at high revs.. It would be nice if the Goldwing had a power band like the Fit.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
You're makin me wish I had a GD. I'm trying to find that Vtec spot in my Fit. Wonder if I could fit it out with an ANSA... I do have an Italian air horn...

Quick Reply: Why is my gas mileage so crappy? 32mpg, 20K miles.