2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Why is my gas mileage so crappy? 32mpg, 20K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I get as bad as 20 mpg At full throttle at around 90 mph, I can actually see my fuel gauge moving ever so slowly.
Isn't it crazy how you can boost displacement 50% (8psi) and still see 20mpg?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
I filled up Thursday at 310 miles with 1/4 of a tank showing on the gas gauge... When my car was almost stock I was getting 37 to 38.5 driving 80 and 90.... The worse I have seen has been just below 27MPG.... When I have been in situations where I have to sit and idle a lot is when I see the greatest amount of loss on mileage figures, driving above 80 is no different than 65 or 70.... What is really strange is that the Aero Turbine 2540i muffler on my car seems to quieten the exhaust more while cruising above 90MPH than it does between between 60 and 80.... It is also quieter in 4th gear than 5th between the same speeds which in 5th is 3000 to 4000 RPM.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Thats very good mpg. I just got 33 mpg again but I am happy with that considering theres about 1 hour warm up(.5 to 1 gallon with 0mpg) and extreme cold in mixed driving and regular motor oil.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-23-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
The car is rated 27/33 (A/T). You guys who say you are getting around 40 must be driving downhill with no heat or a/c on and at a constant speed,or at least without much acceleration. 32 is very good imo. Think about your total cost of operation. Fuel,insurance,maintenance,monthly payment.etc. That is a more realistic way to look at things imo. Also be sure to calculate your mpg and don't rely on the trip computer. They tend to be a little optimistic. Instead of saying I'm ONLY getting 32,why not say "I'm getting 32,which is pretty good"? I'm sure you can do better,but the traffic conditions aren't something that we can control. As to the issue of the compressor and the defroster,that happens for a reason. I only use the defroster if I need to reduce moisture on the inside of my windows, or to melt frozen precipitation. I try to use the vent/floor setting as much as possible. It should be obvious that a new owner is expected to actually read and re-read the owner's manual to get the most out of their new car. The salesman can't be relied upon as a substitute. You are the one who is driving the car all the time,and not the salesman or even the technician. Enjoy your Fit,and try some of the suggestions presented in this thread to maximize your mileage,but there's more to the Fit than MPG.

Last edited by LLLC1393; 01-23-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
The car is rated 27/33 (A/T). You guys who say you are getting around 40 must be driving downhill with no heat or a/c ....
... and remember, my wife is 4 ft 9 ins and she weight less than 100 lbs and need less horsepower for the FIT to bring her around. If the FIT can think, it may be thinking, how come I cannot feel any driver.. where are you

She will stand a good chance to win if she is a jockey for race horses

Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Aviator902S
Two other things to consider:

1. Not only is the Echo lighter in weight, it also has less horsepower. Horsepower costs fuel.

2. If you're now filling up at gas stations that sell gas that's upwards of 10 or 15% ethanol (or if those stations have quietly switched to such fuels since you last drove the Echo) you will definitely be using more fuel. Driving through upstate New York last year my range dropped from 640 kms per tank (filled to the top of the filler neck) to about 520. Once out of that tax-hell state fuel economy returned to normal.

If your combined (city/hwy) fuel economy is 32 miles per U.S. gallon you're doing very well for a car producing 117 hp and with the lower gearing of the manual-transmission Fit.

Your points on ethanol and weight are good... But you realize that you are only making that 117HP SAE Net at full throttle and in the upper rev ranges?

Otherwise you are only using a fraction of that fuel to cruise around town. It comes down to brake specific fuel consumption, load, and many other factors including environment that determines your end fuel economy..

You can get ~30mpg in a 7.0L Corvette Z06 putting along on the highway, and those make 505HP SAE Net at the crankshaft.

I make 28mpg highway in my cammed/turbo'd 2.0L and that pushes >50lbs/min on a given day. Which is enough for 500whp. But like the Corvette, when I am actually flowing >50lbs/min I am making about 4mpg.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:58 AM
my 2009 Fit Sport A/T has a bit under 25k miles on it. Right now, it's getting close to oil change time (30% oil life on the monitor) and it's been very cold outside - highs in the mid 20s or lower for the past couple of weeks for the most part. Still getting 29-30mpg in town, and 34-36 on the highway. I'm very pleased with these numbers. Wouldn't be upset with getting 27/31 like the sticker says, either It's just gravy that I'm a touch higher than those numbers.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
not long after putting snows on, my range went from 36-38 mpg to 30-32ish, what gives?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
My 2 cents...

On the chance at getting flamed or some troll calling me a liar, I was a 40+ MPG guy. I drove 100 miles a day round trip to-from work. (Houston TX all flat except overpasses) All was in town freeway. (60 MPH) I actually had multiple tanks where my AVG was 42 MPG.

Now that I live 3 miles from work I'm getting 25-30 MPG. I fixed my tire pressure and I'm @ 28 MPG AVG. Constant engine speed at lower RPM will get awesome results. The little 1.5 motor requires much when accelerating or during increased loads IE hills, overpasses, pretty much any incline. I hope this is some help. Not all 40+ MPG guys are stretching the truth, they just may forget to mention things like "I drive kinda slow to get good mileage"

Since I live so close to work now, I drive how I like to instead of to save gas!

-Ray

Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ray731
On the chance at getting flamed or some troll calling me a liar, I was a 40+ MPG guy. I drove 100 miles a day round trip to-from work. (Houston TX all flat except overpasses) All was in town freeway. (60 MPH) I actually had multiple tanks where my AVG was 42 MPG.

Now that I live 3 miles from work I'm getting 25-30 MPG. I fixed my tire pressure and I'm @ 28 MPG AVG. Constant engine speed at lower RPM will get awesome results. The little 1.5 motor requires much when accelerating or during increased loads IE hills, overpasses, pretty much any incline. I hope this is some help. Not all 40+ MPG guys are stretching the truth, they just may forget to mention things like "I drive kinda slow to get good mileage"

Since I live so close to work now, I drive how I like to instead of to save gas!

-Ray
40 plus mpg is easy to get but short trips kill any chance of that. That mpg is not too bad for 3 miles. The problem is when you start the car and get moving it negative mpg and it takes 15 miles to offset that. In the summer you might get 33 mpg driving 3 miles. My GD3 got a best of 47 mpg so its possible to do more.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
40 plus mpg is easy to get but short trips kill any chance of that. That mpg is not too bad for 3 miles. The problem is when you start the car and get moving it negative mpg and it takes 15 miles to offset that. In the summer you might get 33 mpg driving 3 miles. My GD3 got a best of 47 mpg so its possible to do more.
Oh I'm not complaining. It's from me getting on the freeway to bypass some train tracks. Get on and right off pull in at work and turn off the car. Btw I also warm up the car until the temp light goes off. I only fill up twice a month now and I'm not empty when I do.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
a lot of misc discussion, but lets get straight to the point:

1. NO, 32mpg is not low compared to the factory-epa ratings
2. NO, 32mpg is not low compared to global averages (e.g. fuelly database)

there will be outliers and extreme hypermilers and etc, but what most people get in the real world is in that ballpark. for reference my MT has done a 31.5-32mpg lifetime, combination driving, not particularly fast, not praticularly slow. it gets what its rated at...and you cant ask more than that

Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
As long as I can keep moving I can easily get over 32MPG at 70+ MPH.. Driving back and forth to town, I am doing good to get 28MPG while never getting over 55MPH... I was able to get 6 to 8 more MPG when my car was stock.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ray731
Oh I'm not complaining. It's from me getting on the freeway to bypass some train tracks. Get on and right off pull in at work and turn off the car. Btw I also warm up the car until the temp light goes off. I only fill up twice a month now and I'm not empty when I do.
I know your not, I was just letting you know that o miles at start up and thats .2 to .25 is easily lost a day and it adds up. I do not hyper-mile that much to make a huge difference. Most of those guys get 50 plus and some of it is dangerous. If you grew up driving a carburetor car, you were taught to never lift of the gas pedal. That doesn't apply to fuel injection, the more you lift off the pedal the better the mpg can be.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
I was wrong
I had my first long highway trip today, and the trip computer showed a high of 40.2 mpg and the end of trip (220 miles). I am surprised and stand corrected. While this is not a realistic average,it shows how high you can go if careful. I am at 1300 miles so I'm thinking my mpg will improve over time as well.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
I was wrong
I had my first long highway trip today, and the trip computer showed a high of 40.2 mpg and the end of trip (220 miles). I am surprised and stand corrected. While this is not a realistic average,it shows how high you can go if careful. I am at 1300 miles so I'm thinking my mpg will improve over time as well.
Invest in a Scangauge or similar, Theres a ultra (something) that KC or Lyons knows about that is cheaper and monitors and teaches you how to drive by you seeing what the car is doing in real time. Its a form of hyper-milling but not that extreme.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 AM
My new 2010 MT got 29 right off the lot with mixed city/hwy driving. DIY Short Ram Intake got it up to 32.5 and less restrictive exhaust got it to 33.5...

BTW, easy/cheap exhaust mod is to have a muffler shop cut out the resonator and replace it with straight pipe, did mine for $45 out the door. Removes some restriction and adds a nice engine note.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by 12toothassassin
BTW, easy/cheap exhaust mod is to have a muffler shop cut out the resonator and replace it with straight pipe, did mine for $45 out the door. Removes some restriction and adds a nice engine note.
Depending on your local emissions rules, the straight pipe could keep your car from passing the visual inspection, and that would suck.

Zach

Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
I was wrong
And now I got 43!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
And now I got 43!
How did you manage 43mpg in Syracuse? I'm in the city and I barely get 20mpg driving short trips around this poorly planned city.

Quick Reply: Why is my gas mileage so crappy? 32mpg, 20K miles.