2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Selling a car to CarMax or CarSense

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Selling a car to CarMax or CarSense

I was thinking of trying to sell my 09 Fit Sport auto/navi/moonroof (dealer installed) and was wondering if anyone has ever sold their car to CarMax or in my case a similar dealer CarSense in Pennsyvania....do they give you a wholesale price? Anyways I love my Fit but really don't drive it and it has under 6k miles. I live in NYC the car sits at my parents house in PA. Has anyone dealt with selling their car to a dealer?
Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
not sure...it should be worth a fair bit....you can always try ebay as well, or consignment...from what i hear, the fits do not sit on a used car lot for long.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
craigslist.. i've sold 3 cars on CL in the past all within a week. you'll get more for your car by selling it yourself.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Craigslist is good but if you don't have time to show your car there's other alternatives.
The fit is a good seller , have a lot of pictures in your ad and it should sell within a few weeks

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Carmax will give you dealer trade in value based of KBB, if that is acceptable to you then its a really quick and easy process. You can get a few grand more selling it yourself but depends if you have time to do that or not.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
The only good thing about Carmax is they will make their offer good for a period of time. I forget what it is exactly but it's something like a week. Get their bid, run an ad to try and sell it yourself and if you're not successful in that alloted time you can run back to Carmax and accept their offer if you want.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gs3boynyc
I was thinking of trying to sell my 09 Fit Sport auto/navi/moonroof (dealer installed) and was wondering if anyone has ever sold their car to CarMax or in my case a similar dealer CarSense in Pennsyvania....do they give you a wholesale price? Anyways I love my Fit but really don't drive it and it has under 6k miles. I live in NYC the car sits at my parents house in PA. Has anyone dealt with selling their car to a dealer?
Thanks
I know two people who sold their cars to CarMax after they couldn't get together on the cars they wanted. Apparently CarMax does a good job of your trade-in but also apparently means tyey are a little on the low side compared to NADA, Kelly, or Edmunds wholesale values. Worse, their retail pricing is also a trifle high too so they are expecting to buy your car at a good WHOLESALE price and retailing at high profit.
Both these guys knew the value of their cars from other dealer tradein values and in both cases found they could sell their car to CarMax and get a better price from another dealer on the same car. In short, CarMax was a little lower on their weholesale appraisal but much higher on their retail on the wanted car so their difference was more than another dealer price cash even taking into account the extra tax that had to be paid.
If you need to sell your Fit, know the wholesale value going in and pick a highly desired model to 'buy'; if the CarMax appraisal is close enough to the NADA, Kelly, etc wholesale then sell it top them. I think you only have a day ofr two to decide but in both the cases I know they followed through as offered. Both said it was very proffessional and accurately done which means if you have modifications outside stock you will be penalized and even turned down altogether. CarMax doesn't sell cars not stock and with more than 12k miles per year and usually less than 4 years old.
That help ?
PS like any car seller, new or used, they buy wholesale and sell retail. Its a buiness. If you want to maximize your selling try using Autotrader. That way you can expect to sell your Fit for a price between wholesale and retail. If you sell with Autotrader you can expect to sell for a price between wholesale and retail. Incidently, if you owe more than the wholesale price, you'll have to your lender any difference between sale price and your loan amount so see your lender first to find out what your payoff will be so you don't end up in the hole. And do not sell on any kind of loan; require cash or certified check and if you have a good lender he should help you with the resale process to make sure you get it right.
good luck.

Last edited by mahout; 01-10-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the input...I'm def. gonna give them a try and see what they say. I'm pretty pressed for time during the week so CL and even prob ebay would be a pain.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Might be interested in your fit, but im all the way on the other side of the country.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
so an update, I ended up trading in my 2007 Toyota Avalon, and my 2009 Honda Fit on Friday Feb 18th for a 2011 Toyota Avalon Limited, by the next day when i picked up my new Toyota, saw my Fit going out for test drives already!!! This was at Ardmore Toyota in Wynnewood, PA. Then i went by the car this morning..it had a sold sign on it already! That didn't take long!!! A whole day on the lot. It still only had 5808 miles on it when i traded it. Hopefully a fit forum or future fit forum member has bought it. Goodbye all :-)

Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
so an update, I ended up trading in my 2007 Toyota Avalon, and my 2009 Honda Fit on Friday Feb 18th for a 2011 Toyota Avalon Limited
I thought you were getting rid of the Fit because you live in NYC and the car sits parked at your parents house? That's a hell of a salesman you met!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I thought you were getting rid of the Fit because you live in NYC and the car sits parked at your parents house? That's a hell of a salesman you met!
yeah my original thought was to go down to one main car and i've been kicking that idea around for a long time...and this is how it went down...I went to the Toyota dealer to get the oil changed on the 2007 Toyota, and my fiance was behind me in the Fit to pick me up from service because i didn't want to wait , and i was like..let me just look at that Toyota Venza i figured that woud be a great compromise..it was ok..and the dealer was like test drive the Avalon Limited...next thing u know..I'm trading both cars on the spot!! They got me with 0% financing a great price on the Avalon, and toyota's 2year free maintainance and the dealer added another year for a total of 3yrs. Total no brainer. The dealer was nice...I had met him a long time ago when i was shopping for the Avalon..and he rembered me because we had the same name lol.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
didn't know you can have a moonroof installed. how much was it?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
about $1000 the dealer handled it

Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
yeah my original thought was to go down to one main car and i've been kicking that idea around for a long time...and this is how it went down...I went to the Toyota dealer to get the oil changed on the 2007 Toyota, and my fiance was behind me in the Fit to pick me up from service because i didn't want to wait , and i was like..let me just look at that Toyota Venza i figured that woud be a great compromise..it was ok..and the dealer was like test drive the Avalon Limited...next thing u know..I'm trading both cars on the spot!! They got me with 0% financing a great price on the Avalon, and toyota's 2year free maintainance and the dealer added another year for a total of 3yrs. Total no brainer. The dealer was nice...I had met him a long time ago when i was shopping for the Avalon..and he rembered me because we had the same name lol.
That's a pretty good salesman's story. Was able to convert you during an oil-change service appointment (whose main point is pretty much to get you back to the dealer to form a relationship).

Hope you enjoy the new car!