2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

new gen of fit coming later this year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
new gen of fit coming later this year?

will the 2012 fits that come out this fall in the US be a new gen? It seems like maybe they will but I'm curious if any of you guys have any intel on this. I read something that said the new MT might be a 6 speed.

just test drove a new MT sport fit today - I like it. right now it's in the running for my next car (probably in the lead). I'm just wondering if I should wait until later this year or just pick up a 2011 whenever I find a good deal.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I haven't seen anything about it...but I'd be surprised considering how popular the current fit is in the states as well as overseas right now. Maybe in another 4 or 5 years, the first style generation lasted about 7 before a makeover.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM
What type of vehicle are your driving now zymo?

If you are not in a hurry, you are in control and will have a upper hand in terms of negotiating with the car dealership..... no harm starting the negotiating now.. and if you are not in a hurry, dragged out the negotiating time line until Honda announced the 2012 models and you make your final decision at that time.

during my previous new FIT purchase, we walked away from 4 dealerships from supposedly "best deals" offered by all four of them. Then, in around Sep/Oct, you will hear back from them, asking you if you will be interested if they better the "best" deal they had previously offered or they will ask what other best deals you got from others and they will better it.

It is common knowledge that dealership will clear their inventory close to fall. At that time, you may be in a better situation to pull the trigger because, by then, you know for sure what's the new 2012 design will be, what's your absolutely best deal you got for 2011 (because you negiotiated early) and you can decide at that time if it is worth paying the extra for a 2011 model.

My 2 cents

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Its going to be a minor model change (like the Ridgeline did for 2008/9), not a complete chassis change like the GD to GE transition.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
Its going to be a minor model change (like the Ridgeline did for 2008/9), not a complete chassis change like the GD to GE transition.
so what kind of stuff will change? we specifically waited for the 09 for my wife's car b/c we knew it would have a little more power.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ric01
What type of vehicle are your driving now zymo?

If you are not in a hurry, you are in control and will have a upper hand in terms of negotiating with the car dealership..... no harm starting the negotiating now.. and if you are not in a hurry, dragged out the negotiating time line until Honda announced the 2012 models and you make your final decision at that time.

during my previous new FIT purchase, we walked away from 4 dealerships from supposedly "best deals" offered by all four of them. Then, in around Sep/Oct, you will hear back from them, asking you if you will be interested if they better the "best" deal they had previously offered or they will ask what other best deals you got from others and they will better it.

It is common knowledge that dealership will clear their inventory close to fall. At that time, you may be in a better situation to pull the trigger because, by then, you know for sure what's the new 2012 design will be, what's your absolutely best deal you got for 2011 (because you negiotiated early) and you can decide at that time if it is worth paying the extra for a 2011 model.

My 2 cents
current car is a jetta GLX (VR6 engine). it's a 5 speed manual. Only mod of importance is upgraded suspension (koni shocks and H&R sport springs). it might seem slightly firm to an average driver but it handles great and has a nice amount of power. it will be a bit of a downgrade in terms of power and handling (handling only b/c I upgraded my suspension - stock suspension in my car was really sloppy) but I will actually get to wind a fit out much more often without breaking the law so that might be fun. it's going to be hard to let my VW go though. despite the issues with it I've enjoyed the car and I've been the only owner these past 9 years.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zymo
so what kind of stuff will change? we specifically waited for the 09 for my wife's car b/c we knew it would have a little more power.
I'm not 1000% sure to be honest. Generally speaking during a minor model change the model gets a slight cosmetic change inside and out, a slight power increase, as well as a few more standard features that were not available to lower trim levels of the previous year(s) like cruise control in the Base for example.

As you know, there is rumored that the 6 speed M/T from the JDM spec Fit RS is supposed to come state side but that has not been confirmed for the US models yet. However, for the 2012 model year it is mandatory for all US models to have stability control system.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
I'm not 1000% sure to be honest. Generally speaking during a minor model change the model gets a slight cosmetic change inside and out, a slight power increase, as well as a few more standard features that were not available to lower trim levels of the previous year(s) like cruise control in the Base for example.

As you know, there is rumored that the 6 speed M/T from the JDM spec Fit RS is supposed to come state side but that has not been confirmed for the US models yet. However, for the 2012 model year it is mandatory for all US models to have stability control system.
It appears that VSA is already standard on the 2011s.

2011 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Site

more power and maybe a 6 speed? sounds like maybe it's worth the wait...

according to this sketchy looking website the engine and tranny will be the same. it seems to imply that the new model will show up in the spring??? is that true?

http://starredreviews.com/2012-honda-fit-review/2596/

Last edited by zymo; 01-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Hondas typically run on a 5 or 6 year cycle with some being stretched a little be more between Full Model Changes (FMC). With Most cars you can expect to see the 1st 3 years be essentially identical and then the Minor Model Change (MMC) consisting of some slight cosmetic (and a few small feature) upgrades. Usually it's a new Front & Rear Bumper cover, side Skirts, a minor stereo upgrade, occasionally a transmission upgrade and a few other things. These last for 2-3 years and then it's a FMC.

To see the Difference, look at the nose & Tail of a 2006 Civic (or Ridgeline) and then a 2010 Civic (or Ridgeline). You'll see the differences most predominantly in the front bumper & Grille.

It appears that VSA is already standard on the 2011s.

2011 Honda Fit - Specifications - Official Site

more power and maybe a 6 speed? sounds like maybe it's worth the wait...
I wouldn't expect to see more power (well maybe 2-3hp...) but the 6MT might be worth waiting for. It'll be a little quieter on the highway with a few hundred rpm drop and probably bet 1mpg better economy. Decent, but not a deal breaker.

Check out the JDM FIT RS and you might see some of what we may get here in 2012.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 01-09-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
I wouldn't expect to see more power (well maybe 2-3hp...) but the 6MT might be worth waiting for. It'll be a little quieter on the highway with a few hundred rpm drop and probably bet 1mpg better economy. Decent, but not a deal breaker.

Check out the JDM FIT RS and you might see some of what we may get here in 2012.

~SB
only better mpg if they actually make the 6th gear taller. I've noticed on some cars when they go from 5 to 6 speed instead of making the 6th gear taller they just jam all of the ratios closer together. if that was the case it wouldn't really be much of a benefit in my opinion.

note my edit above - maybe it will just be some cosmetic changes.

no mention of power or tranny change here either: http://iguida.com/2012-honda-fit

Last edited by zymo; 01-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
the 2012 won't be out until late 2011....November 2011 or later
these cars are made in japan.
The 2012s should have a minor face lift, rounded bumpers front and rear...and a 6 MT option...maybe a 6AT...who knows....also the fit Hybrid may show up in 2012 in North America.
The fit is selling well in North America....but is receiving a lot more competition in this segment...so I suspect Honda will have to make some changes if they want to maintain the leader .
Honda may also move production to the US...the fit isn't a cheap car because it's made in japan and subject to higher costs and import taxes

Last edited by canuck901; 01-09-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: i
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
The JDM RS currently(which is essentially a Sport) has a 6MTfor this year. it has a taller 6th gear than the 5MT's 5th. Considering at this point that both of the L15 6MT Tranny options available in honda's lineup (Fit RS & CR-Z) have a 6th gear. And also, that 6th gear ratio is between the 5MT's 5th and the 5AT's 5th gear, it is likely that the 6MT would be as tall as (or taller than) the currently available 6MT on either of the above mentioned vehicles. That should provide a marginally better increase in economy by itself on the sport. Usually the bumper & skirting improvements help with aero which should help cut down on the drag as well (aiding in the improvement of economy).

As for timing. Honda practically NEVER sways from it's release timing. The 2011 Fit will almost definitely run for a full year and the '12 will come out November of '11. Honda may release vehicles earlier in the year, but that is almost always with a new vehicle (like the Ridgeline, crosstour, RDX, etc...). I wouldn't expect to see anything except for some Mock-ups or vehicles for auto-shows in the spring & Summer.

You'll likely see some spy shots from Brenda Priddy Months prior to the release. I'm wondering what kind of nose the new one will have (will it be an extended Fit RS or something totally different?)

~SB

Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
The JDM RS currently(which is essentially a Sport) has a 6MTfor this year. it has a taller 6th gear than the 5MT's 5th. Considering at this point that both of the L15 6MT Tranny options available in honda's lineup (Fit RS & CR-Z) have a 6th gear. And also, that 6th gear ratio is between the 5MT's 5th and the 5AT's 5th gear, it is likely that the 6MT would be as tall as (or taller than) the currently available 6MT on either of the above mentioned vehicles. That should provide a marginally better increase in economy by itself on the sport. Usually the bumper & skirting improvements help with aero which should help cut down on the drag as well (aiding in the improvement of economy).

As for timing. Honda practically NEVER sways from it's release timing. The 2011 Fit will almost definitely run for a full year and the '12 will come out November of '11. Honda may release vehicles earlier in the year, but that is almost always with a new vehicle (like the Ridgeline, crosstour, RDX, etc...). I wouldn't expect to see anything except for some Mock-ups or vehicles for auto-shows in the spring & Summer.

You'll likely see some spy shots from Brenda Priddy Months prior to the release. I'm wondering what kind of nose the new one will have (will it be an extended Fit RS or something totally different?)

~SB
Based on the pictures I actually like the current body style better than the new hybrid body style (if that's what they are actually going with). Seems like manuals are pretty rare around me though. I've only found a couple listed online (2011s). blue and black seem to be the options.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Based on the pictures I actually like the current body style better than the new hybrid body style (if that's what they are actually going with). Seems like manuals are pretty rare around me though. I've only found a couple listed online (2011s). blue and black seem to be the options.
Well the hybrid is a European version, so presumably if it were to come to the states it would look similar to the USDM. I'd be surprised to see a major MC for 2012, and kinda presumed that the 2011 changes were all we'll see (ie paint colors, feature shifts, etc).

Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
honestly I'd love it if it was something as simple as releasing the RS package in a USDM version.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by BVictor
honestly I'd love it if it was something as simple as releasing the RS package in a USDM version.
what would that include? 6MT? some aesthetic changes? anything else?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
what would that include? 6MT? some aesthetic changes? anything else?
Not much If I remember correctly. There are some JDM only options such as locking gas door that are not available on the USDM Fit but the majority of MMC updates are cosmetic (with the 6MT becoming available).

Who knows what we'll see here next year.

~SB

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Mpg

Seems like there had better be a fuel economy boost _with the auto_ (because of its popularity in NA) for this to remain competitive. New Civic gets better mileage than the Fit.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM
current car is a jetta GLX (VR6 engine). it's a 5 speed manual. Only mod of importance is upgraded suspension (koni shocks and H&R sport springs). it might seem slightly firm to an average driver but it handles great and has a nice amount of power. it will be a bit of a downgrade in terms of power and handling (handling only b/c I upgraded my suspension - stock suspension in my car was really sloppy) but I will actually get to wind a fit out much more often without breaking the law so that might be fun. it's going to be hard to let my VW go though. despite the issues with it I've enjoyed the car and I've been the only owner these past 9 years.
the fit will most definitely be down on power but a stock fit will likely handle better than a mark4 jetta w/ upgraded suspension. i had the same car as you. i had fully adjustable coilovers and a nice 28mm RSB. it got rid of the understeer but it never, never felt as nimble as my low powered fit. either way, happy hunting!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lostJR
Seems like there had better be a fuel economy boost _with the auto_ (because of its popularity in NA) for this to remain competitive. New Civic gets better mileage than the Fit.
The old Civic got better Fuel economy than the FIT. it was/is also much more aerodynamic but less cargo friendly. Without a bump in power, the fit will likely see little in the way of economy gains due to it's shape. if they were to slope the back and cut out much of the utility of the fit, then the economy would go up... but what would be the point? the Fit has a VERY vertical/flat rear end unlike those of the Fiesta, mazda2, etc... That's where they will likely have better economy numbers than the FIT but their cargo capacity is MUCH worse and therefore makes the vehicle less utilitarian and again, less desirable.

The fit has a nice balance of economy & utility that none of the vehicles in this segment can match. For those that want more economy but less storage, there are better options (solely based upon economy). For everyone else who understands the benefits behind the balance, there's the FIT.

~SB

Quick Reply: new gen of fit coming later this year?