2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

new gen of fit coming later this year?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
The old Civic got better Fuel economy than the FIT. it was/is also much more aerodynamic but less cargo friendly. Without a bump in power, the fit will likely see little in the way of economy gains due to it's shape. if they were to slope the back and cut out much of the utility of the fit, then the economy would go up... but what would be the point? the Fit has a VERY vertical/flat rear end unlike those of the Fiesta, mazda2, etc... That's where they will likely have better economy numbers than the FIT but their cargo capacity is MUCH worse and therefore makes the vehicle less utilitarian and again, less desirable.

The fit has a nice balance of economy & utility that none of the vehicles in this segment can match. For those that want more economy but less storage, there are better options (solely based upon economy). For everyone else who understands the benefits behind the balance, there's the FIT.

~SB
Yup, the boxy rear end is a big reason I went with the fit. Its not great for economy, but perfect for actually getting stuff to fit.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
The old Civic got better Fuel economy than the FIT. it was/is also much more aerodynamic but less cargo friendly. ...
I do not buy the idea that a notch back sedan is more aerodynamic than a flat back hatch. A chopped off rear is called a Kammback. All of the cars that emphasize efficiency (Prius, both Insights, for example) are not notch back sedans. Their roof slopes more than the Fit, but I still think the Fit's shape is better than a sedan. The Fit has a steeply raked windshield that slopes into a raked hood. Looks pretty aero to me.

I think it is an engine issue.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit has to work harder to maintain highway speeds and combined with the short gearing to make it acceptably quick....its not going to get >9000 mpg

Old 06-01-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lostJR
I do not buy the idea that a notch back sedan is more aerodynamic than a flat back hatch. A chopped off rear is called a Kammback. All of the cars that emphasize efficiency (Prius, both Insights, for example) are not notch back sedans. Their roof slopes more than the Fit, but I still think the Fit's shape is better than a sedan. The Fit has a steeply raked windshield that slopes into a raked hood. Looks pretty aero to me.

The fit is a TALL car. It has a VERY flat and tall back end. This creates a vacuum behind the vehicle which causes mass amounts of Drag. The prius and insight's rear roofline cuts down a fair amount before hitting the rear. they also have a lip spoiler to help cut down on Drag. Here are some Coefficient of Drag numbers;

Civic - .28 (hybrid is .27)
Insight (Previous Gen) - .25
Insight (current Gen) - .28
CR-Z - .28
Prius (Previous Gen) .26
Prius (current Gen) - .25

FIT GD - .35
For Comparison Sake, the Civic Hatch (1999 - the rounded smooth bubbly hatch) - .36
The Fit GE is likely (I don't have the number) around a .34 (slightly better than the GD) and maybe a .33. This is a BIG difference, especially when you are talking about an engine with very little torque. Also I've found that just driving behind a minivan or SUV (not tailgating) improves my economy by 3-4mpg. Other vehicles with more torque (whether it be larger engine or electric motor) don't have to work as hard to fight the drag. My last tank was over 45mpg - I was primarily in lines of traffic doing 50-55 until I had to use the A/C and take small trips for the last two days of that tank. ended up with 41.67 for the tank.

The FIT isn't as bad as an element or our ridgeline, but it's definitely not as slippery as a civic or insight. (It's almost 4" taller than both of them).

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 06-01-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member

Also in general, Sedans ARE more aerodynamic than sedans. Compare a few that are offered in both formats.

Geo Metro Sedan - .32, Hatch - .34
Civic Sedan (96-2000) - .32, Hatch, .36
Saturn SL (sedan)- .32, SW(wagon) - .36
Pasaat ('97) sedan - .31, Wagon - .33

of note, some hatches & sedans have similar CoD like the Aveo at .32 for both but in most cases, sedans are more aerodynamic.

~SB

Old 06-01-2011, 10:32 PM
5 Year Member
I am impressed by the aerodynamic efficiency of my soon to be 5 year old Fit.. 4th and 5Th gear acceleration from 80 MPH on up amazes me.. It is a 1.5 liter station wagon after all.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I am not too hot on physics, but I _think_ Cd is a relative number, and is therefore useful in comparing shapes of similar size. You would need to know actual drag to say one vehicle has more drag than another. I _think_. The Fit is taller than the Civic, but also narrower.

In any case, point taken, sedans are better than I thought. Trunk lids have gotten shorter and higher, and I think this helps a lot with the low pressure area you would otherwise get in the notch.

This site (don't know about its reliability) says the Fit has a Cd of .29. This may not be the same as the US version, but I expect eventually the car we get will get the tweaks we see on on other models, like the hybrid.

Network access 18 models of mainstream cars drag coefficient inventory

Meanwhile, I notice that the Fit is within 100 lbs of the Civic in weight, but has considerably less power. I am guessing the engine is running at higher RPMs for similar speeds, and that this is a bigger issue than the aerodynamics.

It appears to me that many of the Fit's rivals (most of whom are in the 40mpg/hwy club) have somewhat larger engines. (The new Accent, for example) They also may have other tweaks like 6 speed transmissions, and again, I think we will see this in the Fit eventually.

I think the Fit will eventually match the others' fuel economy, but NO ONE has copied those magic seats!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
The fit is a TALL car.

~SB
^^^ This. We have to trade some aero efficiency in exchange for our insanely roomy fits. The fit is not optimized to get superb mileage at 75 mph. It loves 45-62 though. That's why I don't belive the gearing of auto vs MT makes much difference in the real world.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
I am not too hot on physics, but I _think_ Cd is a relative number, and is therefore useful in comparing shapes of similar size. You would need to know actual drag to say one vehicle has more drag than another. I _think_. The Fit is taller than the Civic, but also narrower.

In any case, point taken, sedans are better than I thought. Trunk lids have gotten shorter and higher, and I think this helps a lot with the low pressure area you would otherwise get in the notch.

This site (don't know about its reliability) says the Fit has a Cd of .29. This may not be the same as the US version, but I expect eventually the car we get will get the tweaks we see on on other models, like the hybrid.

Network access 18 models of mainstream cars drag coefficient inventory

Meanwhile, I notice that the Fit is within 100 lbs of the Civic in weight, but has considerably less power. I am guessing the engine is running at higher RPMs for similar speeds, and that this is a bigger issue than the aerodynamics.

It appears to me that many of the Fit's rivals (most of whom are in the 40mpg/hwy club) have somewhat larger engines. (The new Accent, for example) They also may have other tweaks like 6 speed transmissions, and again, I think we will see this in the Fit eventually.

I think the Fit will eventually match the others' fuel economy, but NO ONE has copied those magic seats!
Drag isn't really relative outside of the medium being traveled through. in this case, it is AIR.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
"...resistance of an object in a fluid environment such as air or water. "
Drag would be different if you were measuring how something travels through Air vs how it travels through water but that is due to the Medium changing (air vs water). In regards to vehicles, Air is a constant (save for humidity and other similar factors but they are negligible)

On a vehicle, there are two primary places where drag occurs. at the front (when air is being separated by the car) and at the back (where the vacuum created has to suck the air back together that was just separated). a nice smooth front that splits the air without a smooth back lowering the vacuum behind (like the FIT) will have a higher rate of drag than a vehicle that has both a sharp nose & sharper tail. (like the civic sedan)

I think it is a combination of two different things; the fit's small engine and the shape of the car. A 6MT won't be overly effective until the fit's engine size grows a little. The 1.5 is a great little engine but the torque isn't really enough to work well with a 6MT on US roads. The auto shifts out of 5th all of the time on hills but that's ok because it is an auto. If drivers had to manually shift out of 6th and to 5th or down to 4th as often as the automatic transmission does, many would opt for the auto. I could see a 6AT working to improve economy but not in MT form without some kind of increase in Torque. (You made note of other vehicles with larger engines using a 6mt and this to me makes sense... more torque - but they likely also have less drag). I'd love to see what an R18 from the civic would do in the FIT. 140hp and likely better fuel economy. They'd have to relocate the battery and figure a way to shift weight further back though as the fit is already very nose heavy.

~SB

I'd be surprised if the fit has a .29 CoD but it would be nice to hear... that'd be a big drop from the GD's .35

Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd be surprised if the fit has a .29 CoD but it would be nice to hear... that'd be a big drop from the GD's .35
If I read the link right, that was for the chinese fit. I'm pretty sure the front end is different, and that might do it.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Drag isn't really relative outside of the medium being traveled through. in this case, it is AIR.

Drag is not relative, but I do not think Cd is a measure of total drag. A large vehicle and a small vehicle can have the same Cd, but the vehicle with the larger frontal area will have more total drag.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
If I read the link right, that was for the chinese fit. I'm pretty sure the front end is different, and that might do it.
I wouldn't think that a nose/tail would do all that much but you never know. (well, someone probably does) speaking of Drag, I saw a tractor trailer with the aero extension and sideskirts off the trailer. I heard that it improves Tractor trailer economy by something like 2mpg. that for a truck is HUGE.

~SB

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by malraux
Well the hybrid is a European version, so presumably if it were to come to the states it would look similar to the USDM. I'd be surprised to see a major MC for 2012, and kinda presumed that the 2011 changes were all we'll see (ie paint colors, feature shifts, etc).
Is the British Hybrid any different from the Japanese Hybrid? I doubt the American hybrid would look like the Japanese hybrid because of the bumper requirements in the US. Japanese cars have hardly any bumper compared to cars in the US.