2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Whats the most amount of gas you have put in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
Why would this be? Honest question, as I can't see a difference between stopping when it stops by itself, squeezing in an extra click or two or squeezing in a whole extra gallon or two.

Unless I'm missing something you just have to always do the same thing.
If you use the same pump and stop at the same time every time,you will get accurate results imo. Topping way off is just bad,so stop it. There's a reason why some pumps force you to maintain a tight seal when fueling,and why there is no way to force the pump to stay on while left unattended.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
I think the absolute capacity is about 2 gal over the first click, so about 12 gal total. I usually put in an extra 1.5, and I haven't noticed any difference in 15k of driving than when I stop at first click, other than decreased range

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by flip619
I think the absolute capacity is about 2 gal over the first click, so about 12 gal total. I usually put in an extra 1.5, and I haven't noticed any difference in 15k of driving than when I stop at first click, other than decreased range
man, I am really curious... wish I could see what a mechanic would say after a REALLY thorough examination of the fuel system (of those that continue to pump after the click). I mean, is there something actually going on?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
man, I am really curious... wish I could see what a mechanic would say after a REALLY thorough examination of the fuel system (of those that continue to pump after the click). I mean, is there something actually going on?

You can vapor lock the system when over filling, I forget if that was mentioned in this thread already by someone else.

Also even when the tank is 'full' they are designed to never really go to capacity. There is room left at the top for expansion as temperature goes up, either due to atmospheric conditions or because of how the fuel heats up traveling through the pump and especially at the rail and then dumped back in the tank through the return line.

You can do it, it is just not 'recommended'

Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Typically when anyone 'tops off' the tank they are essentially filling the fill tube, and not the tank. As DSM has stated the fill tube enters the tank in such a way that sufficient head room is maintained. Now if one were persistent, filling the tank on a nose down slope and bouncing the vehicle to 'burp' the tank they could maximize the amount of fuel they could get into the Fit. As designed, however, it is unlikely anyone would be able to compromise the designed headroom inside the tank.

Near the top of the fill tube is where the tank vapor recirculation tube connects the fill tube with the head room in the tank. This simply helps relieve pressure trapped in the tank during a fill-up.

The fuel tank vapor control valve sits on top of the tank. This connects to the evap canister and is designed to pull fuel vapor from the tank and recirculate them through a carbon filter back to the throttle body through the evap canister purge valve and into the intake flow to the injectors.

When these systems first came out the potential of contaminating the evap canister carbon w/ raw fuel was high. Today, most systems are relatively user proof, and ALL are highly sophisticated connecting everything through the ECU..

It's highly unlikely any harm is being done by 'over filling' and a CEL will trip if anything is up.

The elementary question remains, why do you want to do that anyway???

If it's simply because you can, be my guest. There is no effective logic that prescribes such an endeavor.

My jaded [some morning are better than others] guess is that it's a reflection of our 'super sized have-it-your way' culture - rather immature and quite self centered..

Now to be fair the the OP, and get back on track - you were cutting it close. I've filled close to 10gal, never over, and it's clear to me that you were not trying to tip your Fit on end to max-out a fill-up, as others have indicated. The fuel tank design capacity is 10.6USG.

K_C_

Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
My usual fill up is 9 - 9.5 gallons. I let it run that low because I was driving home from a road trip and that was the next gas station and our turn off.

Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal

Now to be fair the the OP, and get back on track - you were cutting it close. I've filled close to 10gal, never over, and it's clear to me that you were not trying to tip your Fit on end to max-out a fill-up, as others have indicated. The fuel tank design capacity is 10.6USG.

K_C_

Old 01-06-2011, 02:48 PM
The tank capasity of the Jazz is 42 litres (11,1 US galons).
So far biggest fill up was 39 litres (10,3 US galons).

If I have time I always fill up to the top of the tube ... when you start the car and drive a bit the extra fuel is gone

But as I heard its not recomended to fill up to the top if the car is left under the hot sun, is this right?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Been wondering lately if it would be possible to insert some kind of fuel cell in the fill downtube, to give more range.

It would have to be anchored in the "trunk" somehow, so it doesn't slide around of course.

There've been many times on road trips that I wished I had an extra 3-4 gals so I wouldn't have to stop so often....

Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by weeladdie
Been wondering lately if it would be possible to insert some kind of fuel cell in the fill downtube, to give more range.

It would have to be anchored in the "trunk" somehow, so it doesn't slide around of course.

There've been many times on road trips that I wished I had an extra 3-4 gals so I wouldn't have to stop so often....

You could install a surge tank even though they are not normally used to increase range, but if it was in the trunk you would need to run your own lines, modify the filler neck and then add another pump or two.

Some places even for street vehicles would require you to install another firewall for extending the fuel system into the cabin.

But it is not impossible, likely just impractical and could become expensive fast.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:29 PM
laddie - I recently completed an east coast journey that took me from NY to S. Florida to N. Maine and back to NY. W/ the mpg's our Fit's provide I can't say I was stopping for fuel too often.

A drivers gotta get out of the car every now and again anyway, let alone a passenger - certainly once every six hours to be fed and watered, and that's about feeding time up time for the Fit as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eljuero
The tank capasity of the Jazz is 42 litres (11,1 US galons).
So far biggest fill up was 39 litres (10,3 US galons).

If I have time I always fill up to the top of the tube ... when you start the car and drive a bit the extra fuel is gone

But as I heard its not recomended to fill up to the top if the car is left under the hot sun, is this right?
Per '07, '08, '09, and '10 USDM Owner's Manual PDFs,
the USDM GD is 10.8 gal & 41 [sic] L, and
the USDM GE is 10.6 gal & 40 [sic] L.
Per macbuddy's photos, topping off
the USDM GD is 13.190 gal & ~49.930 L.

Last edited by mkchiu; 01-09-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Noted other years and other years' Owner's Manual PDFs.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I have put slightly over 13 gallons in my tank many times, around 12.8 was normal... Since installing the high boost upgrade I fill up sooner due to the distance between gas pumps here and reduction in fuel mileage.... 11.8 has become my new average higher if I am just driving to and from town.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You could install a surge tank even though they are not normally used to increase range, but if it was in the trunk you would need to run your own lines, modify the filler neck and then add another pump or two.

Some places even for street vehicles would require you to install another firewall for extending the fuel system into the cabin.

But it is not impossible, likely just impractical and could become expensive fast.
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
laddie - I recently completed an east coast journey that took me from NY to S. Florida to N. Maine and back to NY. W/ the mpg's our Fit's provide I can't say I was stopping for fuel too often.

A drivers gotta get out of the car every now and again anyway, let alone a passenger - certainly once every six hours to be fed and watered, and that's about feeding time up time for the Fit as well.
Thanx to you both, confirms what I suspected, probably more work and money than I can handle! Just have to settle for 300-350 miles between fills.

Cardinal: Contacted Garmin again and found out there is a software update that was just released, 4.90. Downloaded & installed and my Nuvi has been working properly for the last few days.

Hope this ends my months of frustration, but won't be satisfied until I get at least a few months of correct operation. Keeping fingers crossed!

Alex