2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Low Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
If its in the Defroster position the AC cycles to clean the windows. Its not that you use it or the AC, it just you forget about it an always leave it on. After the windows are cleared just turn it to heat and open the window a little and the windows wont fog up again.
After the foggy windows are cleared, I have a feeling that the A/C would still continue to be ON even if I turn on the heat? or I think the A/C will ALWAYS be on (whether I turn on the heat or not) as long as I kept the dial on defroster mode.

It seems on Page 112 of the owners manual says.. the A/C will always be on if you turn on the fan (if the dial in on windshield defroster mode)

Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by zymo
why is the AC turning on if the AC button isn't pressed in??? and this is only when the defogger is turned on?
zymo... there are some discussion on this topic in the following thread for you to check out if you have time

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...heat-only.html

Last edited by Ric01; 01-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
After the foggy windows are cleared, I have a feeling that the A/C would still continue to be ON even if I turn on the heat? or I think the A/C will ALWAYS be on (whether I turn on the heat or not) as long as I kept the dial on defroster mode.

It seems on Page 112 of the owners manual says.. the A/C will always be on if you turn on the fan (if the dial in on windshield defroster mode)
I never notice the condenser turns on with heat only. I do know that theres a load on the motor even with only heat is worth a few mpg. Any time theres a load lights,fan,rear defroster,ac/defroster front, and even radio puts a load on the motor and mpg is lost, and I just found out this week that the type of shoes can help get better mpg. Leaving the window open helps keep the window from getting foggy too. I had a van that had no AC and the defroster would only fog the windows and by opening the window a little the windows clear up.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 01-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
I tried using my defroster without heat on a cool night when the humidity was high and I was on a highway.. It was a little too cool to have the windows down but not cool enough that I wanted to have the heater on... What I ended up with was condensation forming on the outside of the windshield so quickly I had to use my wipers.... Texas weather, what can you do.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I tried using my defroster without heat on a cool night when the humidity was high and I was on a highway.. It was a little too cool to have the windows down but not cool enough that I wanted to have the heater on... What I ended up with was condensation forming on the outside of the windshield so quickly I had to use my wipers.... Texas weather, what can you do.
It rains in side my trailer when I go into a humid dock. The aluminum frame sweats and it rains and freezes on the floor and freight. I would take that Texas weather compared to the snow and cold of the winters up here.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know Glenn, You can always put on enough clothes and move around to stay warm enough to not freeze to death but being out in the sun in 100+ heat and high humidity according to my ex brother in law from New Jersey is hell.. You can only remove so much clothing .... I do okay in real cold weather unless my feet get cold... Your right about those big trailers, I was unloading mail trucks in Dallas during the coldest winter in recorded history and saw what you were talking about... Even doing that I was sweating and removing the layers of clothes I needed to wear to stay warm when I wasn't working as hard. Old people without A/C in their homes die every summer in the Dallas area.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know Glenn, You can always put on enough clothes and move around to stay warm enough to not freeze to death but being out in the sun in 100+ heat and high humidity according to my ex brother in law from New Jersey is hell.. You can only remove so much clothing .... I do okay in real cold weather unless my feet get cold... Your right about those big trailers, I was unloading mail trucks in Dallas during the coldest winter in recorded history and saw what you were talking about... Even doing that I was sweating and removing the layers of clothes I needed to wear to stay warm when I wasn't working as hard. Old people without A/C in their homes die every summer in the Dallas area.
You layer up but you cant have to much on because you would over heat. The cab is warm and I go from warm ,cold to chilly docks and sometime its colder on the dock than outside. Your weather down there is in extremes most of the time with bad storms, high heat and high humidity. The extreme cold is worse than the extreme heat though. You can find shade and as long as you have water your OK. In the winter you Dehydrate just as fast but water would be frozen and then you might not be dressed for the wind chills.

I agree about AC. Us old people need it, and heavy humid air is hard to breathed.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
The people in northern Europe had to be more industrious due to the cold environment and therefore also developed systems of travel, trade, farming, warfare and other technologies they at first needed to stay alive and later to prosper in other ways.... People indigenous to warmer climates and nomadic tribes were able to hunt and gather to survive, so they never got around to even using wheels to make live easier because it wasn't needed... South American tribes were amazingly knowledgeable about astronomy but not wheels.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
The people in northern Europe had to be more industrious due to the cold environment and therefore also developed systems of travel, trade, farming, warfare and other technologies they at first needed to stay alive and later to prosper in other ways.... People indigenous to warmer climates and nomadic tribes were able to hunt and gather to survive, so they never got around to even using wheels to make live easier because it wasn't needed... South American tribes were amazingly knowledgeable about astronomy but not wheels.
Thats interesting, I wonder how they would be with the technology of today and how we keep reinventing that wheel.