2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

valve adj covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
valve adj covered under warranty?

hi all,

so my 09 sport auto developed this annoying ticking/clicking noise after a recent 1,300 mile trip where it felt like 80% of the time was spent uphill with the engine working >5k rpm and outside wind chill of -10

took it into a dealer who told me the noise was "normal" tapping of valves, but seems like bs because the tick/click/tap noise had never been audible in the cabin previously.

did a search of the forum and seems quite common for valves to become out of alignment, but does anyone know if honda will authorize valve adjustment within the warranty period? dealer told me they can't get authorization to perform warranty work until noise gets worse, but i should be reassured because now at least it's been documented.

seems ludicrous honda won't pay for an hours worth of labor to prevent potentially needing major warranty work down the road, not to mention the tick is just outright intolerable. my fit lets enough noise through the cabin without this added audible enhancement...

any help?

cheers.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
To start out cheap, try an oil change- a high quality synthetic brand. If you're already using a good oil, switch to a different brand from the one you're currently using. Just a change in oil *might* get rid of your tick.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
What grade of gas are you using/have you changed the grade you normally use?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GlennQuagmire
hi all,

so my 09 sport auto developed this annoying ticking/clicking noise after a recent 1,300 mile trip where it felt like 80% of the time was spent uphill with the engine working >5k rpm and outside wind chill of -10

took it into a dealer who told me the noise was "normal" tapping of valves, but seems like bs because the tick/click/tap noise had never been audible in the cabin previously.

did a search of the forum and seems quite common for valves to become out of alignment, but does anyone know if honda will authorize valve adjustment within the warranty period? dealer told me they can't get authorization to perform warranty work until noise gets worse, but i should be reassured because now at least it's been documented.

seems ludicrous honda won't pay for an hours worth of labor to prevent potentially needing major warranty work down the road, not to mention the tick is just outright intolerable. my fit lets enough noise through the cabin without this added audible enhancement...

any help?

cheers.
I just did a quick search and came across this regarding valve adjustments on the Fit:

There is not a mileage interval for valve adjustment on your car. The valve cover gasket can be reused but you'll need to apply some Hondabond to the corners before you reinstall it. On another note, I doubt you need a valve adjustment and there is an excellent way of determining if one is recommended. The engine manifold pressure reading is monitored by the cars MAP sensor. With an OBDII scanner monitor the MAP sensor reading in volts. A voltage reading of .88v to .92v at engine idle is an indication that the valves are adjusted properly. Readings above 1.0v would be the threshold that I'd recommend adjusting the valves. Remember to adjust the valves one cylinder at a time after letting the car sit overnight to cool.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
What kinda mileage do you have on your 09 Fit now? What kinda temperature is it out at your place now, u don't live in Sydney do u? And I like to know when was the last time you had an oil change done and what kinda gas u've been using also.

I HIGHLY doubt any Honda/other manufacturer's dealership will do a valve adjustment under warranty. Good idea on getting it documented though. But at the same time, let them do the test drive and let them figure out what happened. Don't tell them what to do and what people on the internet says. Just like you don't do that to your family doctor.

I would do an oil change right after a 1300miles road trip.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
thanks, everyone, for chiming in.

oil change sounds like a good idea. it was last changed in october, but before i started my trip from colorado to norcal the minder read 90%. it dropped to 40 after the drive out and now reads 30%. supposedly the dealer checked and deemed it fine, but if 30 bucks either makes the problem go away or prevents a worse one from forming then that's money well spent.

as for gas, been running costco (think it's 85 rating in co) from day 1 without problem for nearly 2 yrs. norcal has higher octane ratings, so can't imagine petro being the problem, although i did have occasion to fill up at a couple of shady pumps while driving through wyoming...

if the oil change doesn't help i'll take it to a different dealer and have them diagnose the problem.

hogwylde: i was tracking with you all the way through "there is an excellent way of determining if one is recommended." you lost me after that...you can deduce i don't own an odbii scanner lol. but thank you.

spoonek4: ~22k miles. high temp in cupertino's been topping out in mid-50's for seemingly this entire past month. btw i like your analogy, but frequently point my family doctor in the direction of my own diagnosis to get the medication i think i need

Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
along the cheap route that won't hurt,

try a tank of a toptier fuel (chevron/shell/76 etc)-just something to try...

You can also add some Fuel additive too. Since we're not really focused on the cleaning, I'd suggest Redline si-1 additive or Lucas UCL additive. You should be able to find these products for $5-$10 or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-60103.../dp/B000CPI5Z0

While Redline might be marketed as fuel injector cleaner, it also contain a good amount of Upper Cylinder Lubricant which might "lubricate" whatever is causing your tick.

At least in my other car, for which I add redline once/year, I do add I do notice that the engine runs slightly smoother, but noticeable to me for the tank or two while it is in the system. So while my injectors probably are already as clean as they are going ot get, I still do notice the UCL effect.

Since you've been using low-cost gas for awhile, I'd suggest trying the Redline as it will do both to clean up your injectors to some degree and perhaps add some UCL.

Doesn't cost a lot, won't hurt other than the $5-$10, just something to try.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-29-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM
My 2010 and 2007 both made the same noise(It drive's me crazy too).The dealer's say it's normal and I never have experienced any problem's on either one.I have noticed my 2010 is alittle louder and I think it is because this is the first car I've owned that doesn't come with a engine cover(2007 does).A cover wouldn't make a big difference but come on Honda(it look's cheap too).As far as oil change's,plug's,etc....NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL in sound.Justed wanted to let you know your not alone in hearing the clattering/ticking noise's.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I've had the same complaint with my 09 Sport, noisy valves.

Had the dealer check it and they claimed it was normal, that it was the fuel injectors tapping, but good to have the problem documented, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Now have over 70k on my car, and problem hasn't seemed to get any worse, (or better either) but it still bothers me.

Wish someone would find out what's causing this annoying noise.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by weeladdie
I've had the same complaint with my 09 Sport, noisy valves.

Had the dealer check it and they claimed it was normal, that it was the fuel injectors tapping, but good to have the problem documented, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Now have over 70k on my car, and problem hasn't seemed to get any worse, (or better either) but it still bothers me.

Wish someone would find out what's causing this annoying noise.
It is your valves. If you can hear your fuel injectors, something far worse is going on and you would notice it in regular driving.

Stick it to them, unless you warranty is up.

I am at 25k, and about to do a lash adjustment, so at 70k, you are definitely overdue if you can hear it ticking in the cabin when at operating temperature..

There are several GD and GE owners who when they did it on their own found that their valves were way out of spec. It's hard to notice for many, because you lose power so gradually over time. But remember, that when the car is cold and you're doing the adjustment and your valves are out of spec, remember that when the car is warm the valves grow with heat and it skews the specs and your dynamic compression ratio wildly.

Or just do a cylinder leak down test and make up your mind after that...

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-18-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GlennQuagmire
hi all,

any help?

cheers.

Valve adjustments are normal maintenance items just like brake pads, spark plugs, air filters,etc. Honda doresnt do them except right after delivery, Valve clearances are called for on 30k mile intervals and if incorrect should be adjusted. But any time the vales are pronounced ticking. To find difference between injectors and valves use a listening device, even a broomstick, to see where noise is coming from. More often than not its valve or valves. And waiting til the noise ges worse is not productive; more than likely Honda will say destructive results are your fault for not adjusting the valves like we told you to.

honda

Last edited by mahout; 01-18-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
Friend's 09 had a slight engine vibration at ~31k. Dealer looked at the car and said there were misfire codes in the code history and recommended a valve adjustment. They adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket under warranty. Due to cowl removal the job is not 1 hr, but closer to 2. It turns out that the valves were too tight.

I should also note that the 5w-20 oil used seems to breakdown rather quickly. After 5k I noticed that the engine had a lot of clatter, especially when cold. I had the dealer do an oil change and the noise went away immediately.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The Critic
Friend's 09 had a slight engine vibration at ~31k. Dealer looked at the car and said there were misfire codes in the code history and recommended a valve adjustment. They adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket under warranty. Due to cowl removal the job is not 1 hr, but closer to 2. It turns out that the valves were too tight.

I should also note that the 5w-20 oil used seems to breakdown rather quickly. After 5k I noticed that the engine had a lot of clatter, especially when cold. I had the dealer do an oil change and the noise went away immediately.

Misfire codes don't involve valve clearances and too tight won't involve valve noise. It would more likely result in burned valve(s) and poor performance and mpg. If it were here we'd pull the head and check valves, replace any showing signs, and of course the valves would be set. That is a situation covered by warranty at a dealer as the lack of noise would not be a warning to most owners.

ps what oil brand are you talking about ?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Misfire codes don't involve valve clearances and too tight won't involve valve noise. It would more likely result in burned valve(s) and poor performance and mpg. If it were here we'd pull the head and check valves, replace any showing signs, and of course the valves would be set. That is a situation covered by warranty at a dealer as the lack of noise would not be a warning to most owners.

ps what oil brand are you talking about ?
The solution seemed odd to me as well. The car was taken to the dealer because I had been noticing a slight vibration at idle, which I thought was related to the mounts. No drivability issues, no CEL. The valves were adjusted as I was told that it was the solution, and I was also told this was not the first time they had seen this issue. When the car was returned, I noticed a slight improvement in engine vibration, but that was it.

As for the oil, the prior fill was Valvoline 5/20 conventional. The car is now running bulk Genuine Honda (ConocoPhillips) 5/20 from the dealer. This was the first time I've changed the oil before the MM displayed 15%, and I think I will try to push 5k oil changes to my friend from now on. Previously, she had been getting conventional oil changes at various quick lubes when requested by the MM, which was every 11k.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
my engine has always made a ticking noise, iam at 20k right now.. still running good.. atleast from what i can tell.. i only have a CAI as a mod...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
I find that a few ounces of UCL (read: snake oil) will significantly reduce the noise. It's probably just in my head

The goodnews is that 9 times out of 10 the noise will get so loud that you will be afraid to drive it before any real harm is done.

Wait until you start freaking out about cold start skirt slap 100,000 miles from now.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 01-21-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I just did a quick search and came across this regarding valve adjustments on the Fit:

There is not a mileage interval for valve adjustment on your car. The valve cover gasket can be reused but you'll need to apply some Hondabond to the corners before you reinstall it. On another note, I doubt you need a valve adjustment and there is an excellent way of determining if one is recommended. The engine manifold pressure reading is monitored by the cars MAP sensor. With an OBDII scanner monitor the MAP sensor reading in volts. A voltage reading of .88v to .92v at engine idle is an indication that the valves are adjusted properly. Readings above 1.0v would be the threshold that I'd recommend adjusting the valves. Remember to adjust the valves one cylinder at a time after letting the car sit overnight to cool.
Would you be able to tell me what psi's on a Scangauge these voltages would translate to?

At warm idle, I'm showing about 4.5 psi. Wide open I'm about 10psi.

Dealer told me my MAP voltage was .95 and that I needed a valve adjustment.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Valve adjustment is maintenance not warranty. At a little over 50,000 miles our Fit had no noise, but I was curious and did the adjustment because I had the time and there is little to no cost. I was surprised to find that 9 of the 16 valves were too tight. I adjusted them to factory spec and was shocked at how much power and fuel economy the car regained.

I find it hilarious that Honda suggests adjustment if there is too much valve noise. That is the worst judgement I've ever heard. First of all, a valve that is too tight doesn't make any noise. Second, what is too loud? That is subjective and that should not be the test. I think these motors should be physically inspected every 60,000 miles period! On the bright side, the design is very simple and the adjustment is very easy.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
I miss hydraulic lifters.

Adjusting valves is so '20s.

The Fiat 500 has new/old tech: OHC hydraulic valve linkage (that adjusts kinda like vtec). Should never need adjusting.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Valve adjustment is maintenance not warranty. At a little over 50,000 miles our Fit had no noise, but I was curious and did the adjustment because I had the time and there is little to no cost. I was surprised to find that 9 of the 16 valves were too tight. I adjusted them to factory spec and was shocked at how much power and fuel economy the car regained.

I find it hilarious that Honda suggests adjustment if there is too much valve noise. That is the worst judgement I've ever heard. First of all, a valve that is too tight doesn't make any noise. Second, what is too loud? That is subjective and that should not be the test. I think these motors should be physically inspected every 60,000 miles period! On the bright side, the design is very simple and the adjustment is very easy.

I agree with GAFIT.

Quick Reply: valve adj covered under warranty?