2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New aftermarket nav/dvd/bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:29 AM
New aftermarket nav/dvd/bluetooth

Just wanted to show you guys what I installed over the weekend:

Name:  2010-12-10_13-52-08_572.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  40.7 KB
Name:  2010-12-10_13-51-48_587.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  54.1 KB
Name:  2010-12-10_13-51-33_398.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  47.9 KB
Name:  2010-12-10_21-25-15_349.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  50.0 KB
Name:  2010-12-10_21-22-40_227.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  41.9 KB
Name:  2010-12-10_21-22-20_119.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  32.9 KB

This is where I got it from:

Honda Fit 7" Touch Screen TV GPS Car DVD Player Monitor - eBay (item 110612616812 end time Dec-06-10 18:07:09 PST)

Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM
That's not a bad price at all. How is the actual system? Can you give a review after you play with it for a bit? Thanks.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Looks good!

Here is a tip for a cleaner look: Place the GPS antenna under the dash. Plastic does not effect GPS signals. This is where I have mine with no problems whatsoever.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
Very Nice! Did you customize the user interface? I notice on the eBay listing that the user interface is different from your photos. Also, how is the radio? I've been reading the these units produce alot of static while listening to the radio. Thanks

Old 12-13-2010, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
How difficult was the install and how does the sound compare to the stock unit (assuming you have stock speakers)?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Looks great, please review! Got a few questions.
How hard of an install?
How are map updates handled? Confused which GPS system that is.
Does the usb plug in the sport glovebox work with this unit?
Does the TV get U.S. DIGITAL that TV stations now broadcast in?
Finally, how do you think the Bluetooth phone functions work?

Oh, notice you use military 24hr time in some pictures. Is that your preference, or can that we set to standard 12hr?

Thanks... looking forward to your review!

Last edited by jccruises; 12-14-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Q How hard of an install?
A I've never removed or replaced a car stereo so I took it to a stereo shop. It was pretty much plug and play. They didn't have any trouble getting it installed and running.

Q How are map updates handled? Confused which GPS system that is.
A I'll take a picture of the system it uses next time I'm in the car and load the GPS.

Q Does the usb plug in the sport glovebox work with this unit?
A I don't know yet. I don't have an iPod or anything that I was using with the USB connection.

Q Does the TV get U.S. DIGITAL that TV stations now broadcast in?
A No. It's an analog signal. I have an inverter in the car. So I'm wondering if I can plug in a digital converter box and see if I get a digital signal. Will have to try it.

Q Finally, how do you think the Bluetooth phone functions work?
A I think they work great. The lmic is built in on the front of the radio. If you look close at the daylight pics, the mic is the 2 little dots on the left.

Q Oh, notice you use military 24hr time in some pictures. Is that your preference, or can that we set to standard 12hr?
A Had not changed it yet but shouldn't be a problem to switch.

Q how does the sound compare to the stock unit (assuming you have stock speakers)?
A Sounds good. System has a loud button feature and an EQ like most aftermarket radios that you can switch between Live, Rock, Pop, etc. And Also manual bass, treble, L/R, F/B, can be individually adjusted.

Q Did you customize the user interface?
A Yeah when I went back to the pictures on eBay I noticed the difference too. This is the way it came. I really like the layout of everything. Easy to access everything and looks clean.

Q been reading the these units produce alot of static while listening to the radio.
A My FM signal comes in crystal clear = Stock.

And another thing that I discovered is that I can play Pandora on my phone and use the bluetooth to listen to it on the radio. I thought that was AWESOME! No need for satellite radio.

I also had them run an audio/video cable to the back so I can install a camera in the next week or so.

I'm thinking that when I sell or trade the car, I will be given the value of a factory navigation system. That is, only if the person is aware that this is an aftermarket, then no. But What do you think?

Really happy I made the move to buy it even though there were not many reviews on this and it shipped from over seas. Everything was neatly packed and wrapped.

Now gotta sell the stock unit. What do they usually sell for?

Last edited by Alex T.; 12-14-2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for answering! What did the stereo shop charge for the install? Not sure if I want to tackle this on my own, either.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
The Navigation looks to be the Windows CE 5.0 navigation found on a few different Windows mobile Platforms (iGO8's older NavNGo is the one I have on my WinMo6.5 Phone and it looks Identical - Mine works pretty well but it's a bit dated). Map updates should be available from Naviextras.com for about $45 for the US maps.

As for the Pictures on the linked site, there is no USB on the back of the Head Unit, only an iPod input, which comes with an iPod Cable so USB through the Glove Box won't work. The USB Input is on the Front of the HU and is a mini USB, which is kind of annoying as very few devices have a mini USB Male Connector. Most have a mini USB Female.

The Antenna will work with a Digital Video Converter Box but the DVCB will have to do the Tuning for you so the built in Video tuner is useless here in the U.S. This also means the DVCB will need to be accessible by the Remote so the front will need to be in plain sight.

Installation should be very straight forward unless you want to run additional cabling like Alex had done for a Rear Camera. Everything looks totally Plug N Play and reading others' posts about removing the head unit is fairly straight forward. This realistically should be one of the easiest installs of any Head unit, especially of GPS ones.

Overall, I'm sure it has it's pros & cons but for the price, it looks pretty good to me. Plus it adds Navi, SD card reading, bluetooth, & a few sets of RCA Inputs&Outputs for things like Sirius Sat Radio & amps/subwoofer.

More Pros then Cons and a definite consideration. I'd miss the knob for volume control but could get by ;-)

I'd love to see how the MP3 Navigation from an SD card or USB Flash drive is handled as that's my primary form of Music and having to deal with a "folder" setup on the dash where I'd have to read alot might be bothersome. However if the iPod Navigation is decent, I could use that instead.

~SB

Old 12-14-2010, 08:07 PM
nice. i wonder if they ship this in the philippines.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
looks real good, almost factory-like.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Specboy, I think you are right... it's about weighing the pros and cons. I saw the CE 5.0 on the specs... I didn't realize that was the actual mapping system. it does look pretty basic. I suppose there's no way to load POI's or addresses to the SD card?

No back-side USB plug is a bummer. It would have been nice to use the existing sport cable in the glove box. I have standard USB jump drives, I suppose there are adapter plugs? But yeah, wonder why they went mini?

The digital TV thing is surprising. Not really wanting to get a separate tuner. My luck I'd buy the unit and they would have an updated version out in a few months with a digital tuner.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jccruises
Specboy, I think you are right... it's about weighing the pros and cons. I saw the CE 5.0 on the specs... I didn't realize that was the actual mapping system. it does look pretty basic. I suppose there's no way to load POI's or addresses to the SD card?

No back-side USB plug is a bummer. It would have been nice to use the existing sport cable in the glove box. I have standard USB jump drives, I suppose there are adapter plugs? But yeah, wonder why they went mini?

The digital TV thing is surprising. Not really wanting to get a separate tuner. My luck I'd buy the unit and they would have an updated version out in a few months with a digital tuner.
CE 5.0 is the OS that it is running. in most cases it's known as Windows Mobile 5 (I think WinMo6.0 is CE 5.1, My Samsung Omnia is WinMo6.5 and it is CE 5.2.2XX)

If someone(Programmer) were to try and hack it, I bet you could easily get all sorts of WinMo apps loaded like the one I use for tracking Fuel (GasUpLogger) or even Garmin (which I Primarily use on my phone for NAV) I bet under the shell of the system is a "console" port or some other Comm Port unless the system can be hooked to a computer and accessed via USB (through that front port - but it might require a "dipswitch" be changed so it's acting as a device instead of a host port. Bluetooth Sync might work as well but not until activesync would be setup on the laptop (and the device).

The iPod connection; if the cable were adapted, might be able to support USB but it would need to be tested out. It's not a standard connection but might be able to be converted to one (if it's based off of the USB Standard, just with a different Pin-out)

the Tuner issue is likely due to the fact that many other countries still have analog signal being broadcast and these units are coming from overseas. Tuner is... well... mildly useful in a more urban area. Here in VT, I have the option of PBS Chanel number 1, or PBS Channel 2, that both tune in the same stuff. In NJ, signal is better (Parents still run antenna) but channels are still just a few.

~SB

Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
CE 5.0 is the OS that it is running. in most cases it's known as Windows Mobile 5 (I think WinMo6.0 is CE 5.1, My Samsung Omnia is WinMo6.5 and it is CE 5.2.2XX)

If someone(Programmer) were to try and hack it, I bet you could easily get all sorts of WinMo apps loaded like the one I use for tracking Fuel (GasUpLogger) or even Garmin (which I Primarily use on my phone for NAV) I bet under the shell of the system is a "console" port or some other Comm Port unless the system can be hooked to a computer and accessed via USB (through that front port - but it might require a "dipswitch" be changed so it's acting as a device instead of a host port. Bluetooth Sync might work as well but not until activesync would be setup on the laptop (and the device).

The iPod connection; if the cable were adapted, might be able to support USB but it would need to be tested out. It's not a standard connection but might be able to be converted to one (if it's based off of the USB Standard, just with a different Pin-out)

the Tuner issue is likely due to the fact that many other countries still have analog signal being broadcast and these units are coming from overseas. Tuner is... well... mildly useful in a more urban area. Here in VT, I have the option of PBS Chanel number 1, or PBS Channel 2, that both tune in the same stuff. In NJ, signal is better (Parents still run antenna) but channels are still just a few.

~SB
Okay, so CE 5.0 is the OS and NavNgo is probably the actual mapping program. Thanks for explaining.

Yeah, the digital tuner would be nice. In my work, I make lots of runs to clients and my wife often goes to keep me company... but she waits in the car 10-15 minutes while I meet with the person. She thought it would be cool to tune in the major networks. Our digital tv, over the air with just the built in antenna, gets abc, cbs, nbc, fox and I think a pbs or some type of cable access station.

I wonder how this unit would affect the fit's small battery if running 15 minutes with engine off using TV/DVD?

Does anyone know of a comparable "brand" name with similar features... or would I have to pay WAY more to get what this unit has? I really like the way this unit looks... compared with units, including the factory nav, that look like one big square box. This unit integrates buttons into the faceplate which, IMO, looks very slick.

Thanks for all the help,

Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jccruises
Okay, so CE 5.0 is the OS and NavNgo is probably the actual mapping program. Thanks for explaining.

Yeah, the digital tuner would be nice. In my work, I make lots of runs to clients and my wife often goes to keep me company... but she waits in the car 10-15 minutes while I meet with the person. She thought it would be cool to tune in the major networks. Our digital tv, over the air with just the built in antenna, gets abc, cbs, nbc, fox and I think a pbs or some type of cable access station.

I wonder how this unit would affect the fit's small battery if running 15 minutes with engine off using TV/DVD?

Does anyone know of a comparable "brand" name with similar features... or would I have to pay WAY more to get what this unit has? I really like the way this unit looks... compared with units, including the factory nav, that look like one big square box. This unit integrates buttons into the faceplate which, IMO, looks very slick.

Thanks for all the help,
For the complete package in a name brand unit, I think you are looking at a lot more $$, probably 2x the price if no more. However, with a name brand, you are looking at newer features, a better interface, & higher end audio, also likely with better support if needed.

But.... for the price... it's a tough call. you could add a DTV tuner to the above for $27 (maybe another $10 for an inverter or adapter for power in the car) and have everything hardwired so it's just a matter of turning the key (it won't suck much power - I used to do drive-in movies without having to start the car - 6 speakers and a subwoofer in a prelude for 2 hours 15-20 min of video... no problem).

Another option for your wife... a portable Digital TV for $80.

~SB

Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 AM
Q: What did the stereo shop charge for the install?
A: $50 for install and A/V cable running to the rear

I'd miss the knob for volume control but could get by
True! I end up just pressing MUTE when I need to lower the music. If you're on bluetooth, it mutes when a call comes through and you pick up. If you don't answer the call, it just rings and music stays on. And it actually has a pleasant ring tone. Not a loud desk phone ringer like on my C300.

The Navigation looks to be the Windows CE 5.0 navigation
Its IGO. Here's a pic when loading up:
Name:  688820435_photobucket_32167_.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  60.6 KB

I suppose there are adapter plugs? But yeah, wonder why they went mini?

It comes with a cable. Mini that plugs into the front of the radio and a USB plug at the end of it just like the one in the glove box.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow! That interface is awesome! I bought the same unit back in July with a really ugly interface (software) at the time. Also, my buttons lit up white instead of blue. I am contacting them for a software upgrade, I don't think it should be too hard to do myself. Here's a link to my review of the same unit. I hope it has improved overall with your version.

Thanks for sharing!

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...it-review.html

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM
there are some things you can get away with buying cheap... this is not one of them.

I would not waste my money and time on these china off brand garbage.

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 12-15-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by specboy
Another option for your wife... a portable Digital TV for $80.

~SB
I just tell her to bring some magazines.

It's not a show-stopper. The TV functionality is just a way of selling the upgrade... so she'd be better with me speding the money. Here honey... look how great this will be for you... sort of thinking.

Before I pull the trigger, I may look around to see how much more a name brand would be. I do wonder about support for this unit. So far, I haven't seen any that are as integrated into the faceplate with buttons like this one is.

Quick Reply: New aftermarket nav/dvd/bluetooth