2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

RCA inputs on 2009 Fit Sport Stereo? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:11 PM
RCA inputs on 2009 Fit Sport Stereo? Help!

I was wondering if anyone had any info on what the back of the OEM stereo on the 2009 Fit Sport looks like. Specifically, are there are RCA cable auxillary inputs?

Reason I ask is that my front 3.5mm auxillary jack is misbehaving (music only out the R speakers when external device connected to it). I am looking into getting a bluetooth receiver so that I can do away with all the darn cables in my driving area. The unit I am looking at (Blackberry Remote Stereo Gateway) has the ability to connect thru the 3.5mm or RCA inputs on the rear of stereos. Obviously, with my front 3.5mm jack on the blink I wanted to know if the Fit had rear RCA inputs.

Also, any instructions on getting to them much appreciated.

Blackberry Unit: : Amazon.com: BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway for BlackBerry 8100, 8110, 8120, 8130, 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000 (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories)

Thx!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
You know, it'd be easier just to get a cheap thumb drive and plug it into the USB in the upper glove box.

And no, I don't think there are RCA ports in the back.

Last edited by Goobers; 12-12-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
News flash: thumb drives are dying a slow death. I'm also done with have a device for everything. Trying to simplify. Besides the navigation via the OEM radio is horrible. mp3 players have sold millions for a reason.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
You are making an argument based on "principle," to which, I really don't give a hoot.

I'm just giving you a practical solution (time+effort+money).

I don't use my radio to navigate my iPod, I rely on play lists anyway.

*what is with newer forum members... always so snippy. can't just say "no, i'd rather just stick to one device."

Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
News Flash: Using "News Flash" is an amazingly disrespectful, sarcastic way giving someone information. -rep

The mere fact that Goobers responded with a recommendation, should warrant at least a "Thanks," not a lecture on current technology trends.

Kudos to Goobers staying cool after a snarky response. +rep

Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 PM
why won't you just remove the headunit and see for your self? but to answer your question, no there's no RCA in the back. Just wire harness. I removed mine few weeks ago.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Aonach
News flash: thumb drives are dying a slow death. I'm also done with have a device for everything. Trying to simplify. Besides the navigation via the OEM radio is horrible. mp3 players have sold millions for a reason.
I'd love to see why Flash Drives are dying a slow death? with USB 3.0 Spec Flash drives providing a nice speed bump over 2.0 and the memory manufacturing processes getting even smaller, Flash drives are likely here to stay, especially as prices drop and capacities increase. My flash drive is almost as big as the Hard drive on my laptop. USB & SD are currently the only solution that makes real sense in the automotive industry as the connection is very reliable and designed for high usage (inserts/removals) SD requires an adapter in many systems (extra purchase) while all computers manufactured in the last 10-12 years have come with USB. eSATA would be another decent solution but is more costly and less universal as only mid-high end systems have eSATA ports.

As for the OEM stereo, it does not have RCA connections so you may want to head to the dealer for some repair work, (if under warranty), or consider picking up an aftermarket head unit that supports bluetooth audio as well as many other features you might want.

~SB

Old 12-13-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drumsauce
Kudos to Goobers staying cool after a snarky response. +rep
that's cause i'm sick. when i'm better, i'll be a total a-hole!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, I paid $9 for an 8 gb thumb drive that stays hidden in the globe box. And I can use these nice, big radio buttons to change albums, albeit with a poorly-designed interface.

And if someone does steal my thumb drive, I've got a half-dozen others, 1 to 2 gb, that were free. And nothing dangling from my dashboard.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
The biggest reason to opt for the usb hookup is because the audio sounds tons better. Although the aux is convienient, it sounds terrible. The volume has to be cranked to get an accetable level while driving [on both the stereo AND the device] and the sound is just plain one dimentional. Not the case via USB.

I don't know if there is an rca hookup on the stereo in the back. I believe it would have the same fate as the aux- bad sound. But did you check the obvious- the wire going to the aux and the device itself for problems? If you're at all into decent sound, the aux input dissapoints. USB all the way- with either an ipod or a thumb drive. It would also eliminate any visable wires. The naviagtion of such isn't great, but the sound difference dictates. My Sony gigabeat mp3 player isn't recognised via USB, which I knew going in. It sounds like utter shit going in through the aux. So much so, I've actually been making cd's again and liking it. I tested my daughters thumb drive and it sounds great too. My next purchase...or maybe santa is listening.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 12-14-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
use hi low adator

Old 12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viperjh16
use hi low adator
Um....what?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM
hi-lo adapter- I think they mean something like one of these scoche units

Originally Posted by Shockwave199
Um....what?

line out converter

I installed one in my fit so I could run a sub and amp with the stock stereo. That was a pretty simple affair, just had to use an exacto knife to tap into the speaker level wires behind the stereo.

Also, external usb drives are an awesome way to save all your music and have it available. I have about a 250 gb western digital refurbished hdd that I picked up from new egg for under 40 bucks. I've got 85 live shows from a few of my favorite bands, and hundreds of albums in mp3. I love how it instantly resumes where I left off when I start the car. I still have a ton of space free to add more music, if I can ever get around to converting my cd library. To each his own, I guess.

But the line out converter will allow you to connect the device you are talking about to the car stereo.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
this thread should just be deleted.
what a waste. can't anyone do a search anymore?
these things have been talked about several times
and there are even pictures to go along with it.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
The biggest reason to opt for the usb hookup is because the audio sounds tons better. Although the aux is convienient, it sounds terrible. The volume has to be cranked to get an accetable level while driving [on both the stereo AND the device] and the sound is just plain one dimentional. Not the case via USB.

I don't know if there is an rca hookup on the stereo in the back. I believe it would have the same fate as the aux- bad sound. But did you check the obvious- the wire going to the aux and the device itself for problems? If you're at all into decent sound, the aux input dissapoints. USB all the way- with either an ipod or a thumb drive. It would also eliminate any visable wires. The naviagtion of such isn't great, but the sound difference dictates. My Sony gigabeat mp3 player isn't recognised via USB, which I knew going in. It sounds like utter shit going in through the aux. So much so, I've actually been making cd's again and liking it. I tested my daughters thumb drive and it sounds great too. My next purchase...or maybe santa is listening.

Dan
Unfortunately, there's no RCA in the back and you are right about it sounding lousy either way. Unless you can switch your mp3/audio player to send an unamplified signal to the RCA inputs, there's no chance of decent sound. The problem with using a portable on the AUX in jack is that the signal being sent out of the portable is amplified and re-amplifying that creates lousy, "over-driven" sounding music. That's why line level inputs need line level audio output audio. with USB, the Head unit is reading the file like it would be from a CD, then it is amplifying it based upon the volume knob. My old mp3 players (Creative Nomad Jukebox 6GB and Archos Jukebox Studio 20GB) both had speaker level and line level outputs and that worked quite well.

~SB

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Line out from OEM to an amp.

LOC80

Zoom
See larger image (with zoom)
Share your own customer images

Scosche Loc80 2-Channel Adjustable Lineout Converter

by Scosche

5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews)
6 Reviews

5 star:
(6)4 star: (0)3 star: (0)2 star: (0)1 star: (0)
See all 6 customer reviews...

Like (0)

List Price:$19.95Price:See price in cart(Why don't we show the price?)
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

In stock.
Processing takes an additional 2 to 3 days for orders from this seller.
Ships from and sold by Ace Photo Digital.
Ordering for Christmas? Based on the shipping schedule of Ace Photo Digital, choose Expedited at checkout for delivery by December 24. See Ace Photo Digital shipping details.

I used one in my Fit w/ a Rockford Fosgate amp to a 12" woofer and love the results! An amp of any size will require a capacitor as the charging system is too small to handle the power draw.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 12-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Problem with the LOConverter is that it is for output to an amp. the OP is looking for an input to run the audio into.

OP Might want to look into the Aftermarket Navi that is PlugNPlay as it has all of the connections... Plus a little.

~SB

Old 12-16-2010, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
The problem with using a portable on the AUX in jack is that the signal being sent out of the portable is amplified and re-amplifying that creates lousy, "over-driven" sounding music. That's why line level inputs need line level audio output audio. with USB, the Head unit is reading the file like it would be from a CD, then it is amplifying it based upon the volume knob. My old mp3 players (Creative Nomad Jukebox 6GB and Archos Jukebox Studio 20GB) both had speaker level and line level outputs and that worked quite well.
I can get the gains right with the volume on each, most importantly by not overdriving the aux with the player and then getting the rest of the way there with the HU volume. But clean audio isn't always good sounding audio either. It may very well be my player too- it's limited. I suppose I shouldn't totally condem the aux either...and say your mileage may vary. But i'll be getting a thumb drive. But I must say, I'm getting rather spoiled again with cd res audio!

Sorry to side track with this. Onward...

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 12-16-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 AM
rca to usb

problem solved

Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
rca to usb

problem solved
?????

Not to doubt... but I will.

RCA is audio... USB is Data, the car is looking for an actual File on a flash drive or an iPod through the usb connection, not audio. I doubt this is even a possibility.

~SB

Quick Reply: RCA inputs on 2009 Fit Sport Stereo? Help!