2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reports! CR-Z 1.6 TURBO NEXT YEAR!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Thumbs up Reports! CR-Z 1.6 TURBO NEXT YEAR!

Hot petrol Honda CR-Z planned - Autocar.co.uk

Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 AM
The new engine, which is also planned for the Jazz, Civic and Accord, forms an integral part of a downsizing program instigated at Honda. With forced induction and Honda’s patented VTEC-i fully variable camshaft timing system, it is aimed at providing the performance of a typical 2.0-litre engine from a capacity of just 1.6 litres.

Autocar sources in Japan say the new engine is likely to come in two guises: a standard 160bhp model and a highly tuned 200bhp version aimed at matching the now defunct 2.0-litre VTEC engine in the Civic Type R. This more potent spec is likely to form the basis of a CR-Z Type R, tentatively due out late next year.
Extremly good news

Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
If this actually materializes... it's about damn time.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 AM
DSC
Boner.
Yay

Old 12-06-2010, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
omgggg

honda and turbo in the same article??

Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by DSC
Boner.
Yay

Before anyone else blows their load over this, allow me to be the voice of reason here...

Sales of the CR-Z are low in Japan, which means Honda NEEDS to find a way to make the car more appealing to the masses, otherwise they are going to cut production.

Obviously a turbo engine making a minimum 160 bhp in a car as small as the CR-Z would be exciting... But go ahead and tack on at least another $5,000 to the CR-Z's already high price tag. It would be comparable in price to a brand new GTI, which by the numbers is a better car in almost all aspects when compared to the CR-Z.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but I would hate to think that someone would stop or delay modifying their current car because they think there is some miraculous new engine on the way from Honda. The reality of the situation is that unless this 1.6L engine significantly boosts sales in Japan and other markets, it will never make its way to the US.

If nothing else though, it's nice to see Honda with more performance oriented goals for the future.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM
That's awesome! Who knows, maybe the American market will see these engines. The RD-X was a step forward in the hope for factory turbo Honda engines.

It'd be interesting to see the after market support on the Honda 2.0T engine. As mentioned before, Honda would put it in competition with the GTI which can produce up to 345HP / 355LB-TQ with an ecu re-flash.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by 2Legit2Fit
Before anyone else blows their load over this, allow me to be the voice of reason here...

Sales of the CR-Z are low in Japan, which means Honda NEEDS to find a way to make the car more appealing to the masses, otherwise they are going to cut production.

Obviously a turbo engine making a minimum 160 bhp in a car as small as the CR-Z would be exciting... But go ahead and tack on at least another $5,000 to the CR-Z's already high price tag. It would be comparable in price to a brand new GTI, which by the numbers is a better car in almost all aspects when compared to the CR-Z.

I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble, but I would hate to think that someone would stop or delay modifying their current car because they think there is some miraculous new engine on the way from Honda. The reality of the situation is that unless this 1.6L engine significantly boosts sales in Japan and other markets, it will never make its way to the US.

If nothing else though, it's nice to see Honda with more performance oriented goals for the future.
Completely agree. One thing the CR-Z will have over the GTI is reliability if it does come to the U.S.
Just changed a timing belt and water pump on my buddies GTI Saturday. Gosh what a b*tch compared to honda to work on.

I would be pissed if I bought a brand new CR-Z recently then here this...

another source reporting on it.
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - AUTOCAR UK says turbo 1.6L CR-Z is on the way

Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm skeptical that this will make it to North America. But I hope I'm wrong. If they offered this a few months ago, I'd probably be driving one.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AllBlkEvrythng10
That's awesome! Who knows, maybe the American market will see these engines. The RD-X was a step forward in the hope for factory turbo Honda engines.

It'd be interesting to see the after market support on the Honda 2.0T engine. As mentioned before, Honda would put it in competition with the GTI which can produce up to 345HP / 355LB-TQ with an ecu re-flash.

It sounds like it will be a 1.6T but will produce the same amount of power as a 2.0T

Better mpg + hp = win

Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
But go ahead and tack on at least another $5,000 to the CR-Z's already high price tag. It would be comparable in price to a brand new GTI, which by the numbers is a better car in almost all aspects when compared to the CR-Z.
I imagine they would make the CR-Z their loss leader if it isn't already.

I don't believe this though. The CR-Z is all about market position and being known as a "sport hybrid." This would be a major change in direction from what I think they originally planned to do. However, having hybrid technology does not secure anything in this industry now, so I also wonder if they just didn't play their hand right and are revamping the platforms mission.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
current CR-Z is missing power so this is heading in the right direction. watever engine/motor they use, it needs to bump power over 250hp this day and age for a sporty car.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
An OEM turbo option for GE8 owners? Mmm..

Old 12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
sound more like an engine swap, but who knows what all they got up their sleeves.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
darn. i should have waited for a turbo fit. that would have been super.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frick
An OEM turbo option for GE8 owners? Mmm..
Originally Posted by BIG PhEtNIS
darn. i should have waited for a turbo fit. that would have been super.
Did you either of you bother to read the link?

They havent even said if it will be an L-series block or not. It could be a F/I B-series for all we know.

Also, this is a UK production about a potential JDM offering. The USDM will most likely never see this unfortunately.

Not only that, but this is for the CR-Z no mention of the GE8.

For the money, time and effort required to do any engine swap in your GE, you'd be better off to just pony up for a K-series while your in there.

Or just turbo your L15A7 for half that cost and maintain your handling. Unless you only drive in straight lines.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-06-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
this is great news. welcome to the 2010 auto game, Honda. it's about damn time.

if or when Honda brings the 1.6t to the US for the fit/civic/accord then i'll find myself into another Fit for sure. nothing beats the utility of a Fit; 160hp turbo was my goal with the gd3 i sold to my dad. that hp number in stock [OEM] trim plus the extra rigidity in the ge8 is lust worthy.

Last edited by GD3_Wagoon; 12-06-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
not to be an a$$, but it is so much more cost effective to do a K20 CR-Z then having to design a trubo system then do a price hike to offset the cost.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
The k20 engine is old news. You can't just keep using the same engine then the technology will never advance. The fact that they are experimenting with forced induction gets me excited.

Forced induction is a great amount of power added to any engine. The Dodge Neon SRT-4 sold millions of units.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member

Sales are low? They sold more in the first month than they planned for the whole year here actually. I see them on the road every single day. Of course the sales numbers at first were because of the Japanese need to be trendy and new, but still they already beat their first year numbers so how can anyone say sales are low?

Quick Reply: Reports! CR-Z 1.6 TURBO NEXT YEAR!