2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Reports! CR-Z 1.6 TURBO NEXT YEAR!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
No sweat! I laugh at the thought of that ride all the time. I think also, when I had it, it was still a new car on the street, and certainly a looker. As time went on, it became more of a ricey car. I appreciated it's design so much at the time. Who couldn't? I eventually convinced my bro to get a GSX, and we enjoyed that one quite a bit. I had a dodge raider prior, and that was another dsm creation. I got the history with that whole collaboration now that I think about it huh?
Yea thats almost all of them! all you need to round it off would be a Colt Turbo or a MightyMax pickup!

The 2Gb's look sharp though!

I am not ashamed to admit that at one point I had a worked over 1996 Hyundai Accent with a Mitsu 4G15 under the hood.

At only 2100lbs and 110lb-ft at the front wheels it was a blast (lots of work, wasted money on that one!) springs, light wheels, and an intake and exhaust system that I MIG'd up custom for myself it was clean with a deep exhaust note, cornered and braked like a champ but couldn't get out of it's own way even with a 35shot of spray on it!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Very interesting. I will surely be keeping my eyes on the CR-Z Hybrid R. I wouldn't mind having a motor swap with that car minus the IMA. Hopefully the US will get this car. Even if we only get the 160 hp instead of the 200 hp model I'd be happy.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tofuman
Very interesting. I will surely be keeping my eyes on the CR-Z Hybrid R. I wouldn't mind having a motor swap with that car minus the IMA. Hopefully the US will get this car. Even if we only get the 160 hp instead of the 200 hp model I'd be happy.
Now the question for me would be... Buy a CR-z turbo, a FT-86 or get 300whp+ out of the Fit?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fargasj
Now the question for me would be... Buy a CR-z turbo, a FT-86 or get 300whp+ out of the Fit?
Stiffen the shit out of the Fit and go for it.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
I am not ashamed to admit that at one point I had a worked over 1996 Hyundai Accent with a Mitsu 4G15 under the hood.

At only 2100lbs and 110lb-ft at the front wheels it was a blast (lots of work, wasted money on that one!) springs, light wheels, and an intake and exhaust system that I MIG'd up custom for myself it was clean with a deep exhaust note, cornered and braked like a champ but couldn't get out of it's own way even with a 35shot of spray on it!
Sounds like it was FUN to drive though. I'm never ashamed of my cars. My previous one, the SX4 awd below was more fun to drive than the Fit. Razor sharp feeling, and just.. raw. The Fit is more responsive on the throttle, but not as torquey. I'm telling yall though, Suzuki didn't mess around with it's base for a WRC contender. Took forever to get used to the Fit's vague handling in comparison.

Name:  listing.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  109.2 KB

Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Stiffen the shit out of the Fit and go for it.
K20, Turbo or S/C. What path would you take?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not the one to ask. Personally, I don't like turbos pretty much at all. lol I know, hate away. If a supercharger could be made to put out that kind of power, that would get my vote. I'm a better person to ask about whether or not the Fit's chassis can handle 300whp, and I think the answer is only a "maybe." It's just the whole fwd thing for me at that point. The actual chassis design is a fine piece of work and the strong tub would help along any project. There would be quite a bit of things that would need upgrading to make it balanced, but it sounds like you know what you are doing.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
For 300whp? Ported 14B in a ported 6cm2 turbine housing.

It would be easier with an Evo 3 16G in the 7cm2 housing, slightly less torque though! Which is the number that really makes a difference as I am sure you are aware.

Or if you have a big budget.. GT2860RS

I would say supercharger if centrifugal superchargers weren't so freaking expensive...

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-06-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like it was FUN to drive though. I'm never ashamed of my cars. My previous one, the SX4 awd below was more fun to drive than the Fit. Razor sharp feeling, and just.. raw. The Fit is more responsive on the throttle, but not as torquey. I'm telling yall though, Suzuki didn't mess around with it's base for a WRC contender. Took forever to get used to the Fit's vague handling in comparison.

I was curious about the SX4 AWD, its a nice car, but the one I test drove just didn't have the fun factor/transient response (tossability) of the GD Fit. The GD beat an F430 in C&D's lane-change maneuver (74.X mph) after all. The feel of all for wheels being powered is nice though, didn't get to really test under or oversteer in the SX4.

Suzuki certainly knows how to build a rally car though, look at their pikes peak machines!

So why did you get a Fit?

I'm not the one to ask. Personally, I don't like turbos pretty much at all. lol I know, hate away. If a supercharger could be made to put out that kind of power, that would get my vote. I'm a better person to ask about whether or not the Fit's chassis can handle 300whp, and I think the answer is only a "maybe." It's just the whole fwd thing for me at that point. The actual chassis design is a fine piece of work and the strong tub would help along any project. There would be quite a bit of things that would need upgrading to make it balanced, but it sounds like you know what you are doing.

I don't know about the GE's but there are some serious chassis bracing options for the GDs. Plus theres nothing 50ft of MIG'd stitch and bead welds can't help!

Edit:

In addition to other custom bracing, these would go a long way:

For GD's:

For GE's:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gaug...race-sets.html

That's just what is available from one company, Cusco, Mugen etc all make various components.
There are ways to get even the >400lb-ft I am currently running through the front tires with success. It is involved though.

Adjusting the lower control arms, coilovers, solid motor/trans mounts, spring straps, sticky tires, front splitter etc.

Though I have to wonder if our cv shafts would hold up to the abuse if you left the line under boost (using a two-step and/or anti-lag)

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-06-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

2011 Honda CR-Z MUGEN

The engine is expected to deliver the performance of a typical 2.0L engine and will come with two output choices – 160-hp and 200-hp. The more powerful version is likely to be the basis of a CR-Z Type R, which may be due sometime next year
I think that we MIGHT get the 1.6 N?A as an SI model...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Seems like it is official, the K20 is dead:

Beyond its expected debut application in the CR-Z, Honda’s new turbo 1.6 engines are set to be rolled out throughout the company’s product portfolio.

The 147kW version will replace Honda’s much vaunted two-litre naturally-aspirated performance engine which has been discontinued and left the Civic range without its range-topping Type R derivative.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member

2011 Honda CR-Z MUGEN

I think that we MIGHT get the 1.6 N?A as an SI model...
That is a really good looking car. Not a fan of the park bench on the back since it is FWD though..

Shame about the N/A bit. That would be a real let down. They have to come up with a small boosted passenger car at some point to keep up with the ever increasing standards on consumption, emissions and demands of decent acceleration from hefty american consumers!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
That is a really good looking car. Not a fan of the park bench on the back since it is FWD though..

Shame about the N/A bit. That would be a real let down. They have to come up with a small boosted passenger car at some point to keep up with the ever increasing standards on consumption, emissions and demands of decent acceleration from hefty american consumers!
I think is OK, but compared with other offers that are soon to arrive, I think the FT-86 is a much better looking car.

Last edited by fargasj; 12-06-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I agree. The Ft-86 is a GREAT looking car. If they are able to keep the weight down on it, it will be a fantastic little sports car.
The wing on the CR-Z is just silly. It would look so much better w/o it. Its like the car is coming pre-riced.

Zach

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Low sales of the CR-Z (among others). Guess that's why they need something else.

Last edited by B-Blue; 12-06-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Good lord. As DSMonsters said, Honda serves a sort of jekyll and hyde customer base. It better have balls to back up what basically looks like the rear end of a narrow race car.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
I was curious about the SX4 AWD, its a nice car, but the one I test drove just didn't have the fun factor/transient response (tossability) of the GD Fit. The GD beat an F430 in C&D's lane-change maneuver (74.X mph) after all. The feel of all for wheels being powered is nice though, didn't get to really test under or oversteer in the SX4.

Suzuki certainly knows how to build a rally car though, look at their pikes peak machines!

So why did you get a Fit?
It's a good deal heavier than both the GD and GE, so yeah, you could feel that in the transients, although the Fit, at least the GE, needs a lot more steering input to explore that territory than the zuk. Suzuki is a really interesting company and I'm glad I got to be a part of the gang for a while. With the awd engaged, it had some of the most enjoyable driving dynamics of any car I've ever been in, just really underpowered. Some people turboed theirs but never could make a lot of power. Off road, with the torque split set at 50:50 lock, you can get pretty good rotation, even without a sway bar: YouTube - Suzuki SX4- More good times...in the snow.

Or with a few mods, and up the fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEgzyE03gA

One of the best snow cars you can buy at any price as long as you don't need to go through the deep stuff. Lots of forum stories with people being some of the only cars left on icy roads and whatnot. With the TCS and ESP, it manages to do pretty well at being a mini samurai for trails that can benefit from a short wheelbase. Here is the master SX4 off roader, and friend, charging up a snowy road in his slightly lifted one: YouTube - Suzuki SX4 iAWD with ESP snow hillclimb

Got rid of it for a lot of reasons. I don't have a ton of confidence in the company or the way they treat their customers over here. The Japanese arm is completely different from what I hear. One kind of cool thing, is that the car is virtually unchanged from it's domestic market. No long bumpers or anything. I had some rare Suzuki Sport parts on it that had been taken off by the time those dealer pics were taken.

---

Those look like good bracing options. I'm not a big horsepower guy with these little cars, but certainly the cvs come to mind quickly. How the hell do those little things put up with some of the power people throw at them? Just a "replace when they break" kind of a philosophy on that one?

Last edited by hayden; 12-07-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Added another snow drift video
Old 12-07-2010, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
It's a good deal heavier than both the GD and GE, so yeah, you could feel that in the transients, although the Fit, at least the GE, needs a lot more steering input to explore that territory than the zuk. Suzuki is a really interesting company and I'm glad I got to be a part of the gang for a while. With the awd engaged, it had some of the most enjoyable driving dynamics of any car I've ever been in, just really underpowered. Some people turboed theirs but never could make a lot of power. Off road, with the torque split set at 50:50 lock, you can get pretty good rotation, even without a sway bar: YouTube - Suzuki SX4- More good times...in the snow.

Or with a few mods, and up the fun: YouTube - Cultus AWD VS Sx4 AWD snow fun

One of the best snow cars you can buy at any price as long as you don't need to go through the deep stuff. Lots of forum stories with people being some of the only cars left on icy roads and whatnot. With the TCS and ESP, it manages to do pretty well at being a mini samurai for trails that can benefit from a short wheelbase. Here is the master SX4 off roader, and friend, charging up a snowy road in his slightly lifted one: YouTube - Suzuki SX4 iAWD with ESP snow hillclimb

Got rid of it for a lot of reasons. I don't have a ton of confidence in the company or the way they treat their customers over here. The Japanese arm is completely different from what I hear. One kind of cool thing, is that the car is virtually unchanged from it's domestic market. No long bumpers or anything. I had some rare Suzuki Sport parts on it that had been taken off by the time those dealer pics were taken.

---

Those look like good bracing options. I'm not a big horsepower guy with these little cars, but certainly the cvs come to mind quickly. How the hell do those little things put up with some of the power people throw at them? Just a "replace when they break" kind of a philosophy on that one?
Those little SX4's definitely look like alot of fun especially offroad in the snow through the woods! I've never owned a suzuki with 4 wheels though.

I have however broken Cv shafts/axles one passenger side front in the laser and two axles plus a 3-bolt rear diff on my old AWD TSi lol

and that's not a whole lot of fun depending on how they fail..

That was something that concerned with K-swaps.. you have to have custom half-shafts made, but a built 500whp/375lb-ft K20/23/24 I imagine if you dug-in real good on launch it would just liquify 1/2 gears and if the gears/diff hold up, next stop is the axles.

Custom axles, especially if they are made of 4130 or something, are not cheap.. Plus all the down time while they are being machined.

Just found this while looking at the other vids you linked:
SX4 v. Celica, I was surprised actually. The suzuki is pretty impressive. Like a tall, slightly slower and 4wd, Fiat 500 .

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-07-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Good lord. As DSMonsters said, Honda serves a sort of jekyll and hyde customer base. It better have balls to back up what basically looks like the rear end of a narrow race car.

+1

Quick Reply: Reports! CR-Z 1.6 TURBO NEXT YEAR!