2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I'm getting a Fit! When is the best time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm getting a Fit! When is the best time to buy?

I am no longer on the fence about buying one. I have my mind made up and it is going to be a Fit Sport. I'm currently trying to figure out when will be the best time to buy one, and how to get the best deal possible. I am a very frugal person, so I am willing to wait till the right time to buy in order to get an amazing deal. When will the 2010 models go on sale to make room for the 2011? The 2010 Fit sport is currently priced at $18,000, how much will that price get reduced and when?

Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing the best time to buy is as soon as the dealership opens up!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
hex
find out when the 2011 fits are coming to the dealership. buy the month before or something. they wanna get rid of their 2010s as much as possible to have more room for the 2011s.

or, buy them at the end of the year, when they have to meet or exceed their yearly sales quotas.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
The best thing you can do is seek lots of quotes by email. Don't call or show up in person. The internet department at most dealerships is better to work with.

I used cars.com and autotrader.com daily to search Fits for sale within a 250 mile radius and got a quote on each one of interest. Then you can see which dealers start moving the price lower and by how much. You will hopefully find a dealer who for whatever reason is anxious to get a Fit off the lot.

I've gotten two great deals using this method. Got a brand new 2009 Fit Sport AT w/NAVI for $2600 below MSRP because it had sat on the lot forever at a small, rural dealership. Also got a 2009 Fit Sport AT w/NAVI last spring used with 11k miles and certified for $15k plus taxes, and no other fees at all. This was a dealer who just happened to get a flood of used Fits all at once and this one had been there the longest.

Keep an eye on those websites and your choice will hopefully become clear, even if it takes several weeks.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Frugal people buy cars used! I like to avoid the huge 1-2 year depreciation hit altogether.

But if you must have one new, one of the very best times of the year is coming up on Dec. 31st. Any time between Christmas and New Years is good, but the very last day of the year is when they are desperate to meet sales goals. So find a few dealers that have the exact one you want so you're not wandering around on that day trying to find it, you'll already know where to go. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
we bought the GE 12/30 back in 2008. got a good deal. was able to knock off the labor they were trying to rape me for the pre-installed arm rest, floor mats, etc.

i dont remember wat i paid but i got a good deal on the trade-in so overall was very pleased with the purchase.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Where at in Texas are you?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Are you aware of the .9% 60 month financing from Honda? This is a big savings unless you are paying cash. I saw a local dealer advertising at an $850 discount,but prefer the other local dealer. They matched that no problem. The extra cost comes in with accessories that are not included,but I wanted to have right away. You can save money by waiting, and either getting them at the dealer later or finding them elsewhere. Things like floormats,cargo tray,cargo cover...I feel that I did very well and saved a bundle with the low interest financing. There will always be a better time to buy. I feel that I picked a very good time to buy (11/22/10). I say try to get a 2010 with low interest financing from Honda and you will have done very well. BTW, I am a very frugal person.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Vanct
Frugal people buy cars used! I like to avoid the huge 1-2 year depreciation hit altogether.
At the dealership where I bought mine (last year) I saw a 2009 Fit Sport, essentially the same save for the color, sticker-ed higher than than what I paid for mine new. On new models the one change I saw at this dealer (Wessloh, San Clemente, CA) was they went to a dealer added feature sticker that upped the price. Added in before the purchase were such worthy items as mud flaps (in southern California ) and paint protections .

This and the used car pricing said to me that they had a "marketing meeting" on day and decided that the sales end of the operation had to generate more revenue. I would have endorsed them as a dealer to shop at, but with this policy, not now.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blueskulker
At the dealership where I bought mine (last year) I saw a 2009 Fit Sport, essentially the same save for the color, sticker-ed higher than than what I paid for mine new. On new models the one change I saw at this dealer (Wessloh, San Clemente, CA) was they went to a dealer added feature sticker that upped the price. Added in before the purchase were such worthy items as mud flaps (in southern California ) and paint protections .

This and the used car pricing said to me that they had a "marketing meeting" on day and decided that the sales end of the operation had to generate more revenue. I would have endorsed them as a dealer to shop at, but with this policy, not now.
I wanted the mud flaps but was told that they won't fit on a Fit Sport because of the ground effects. Honda also states this on their website. I have seen these dealer add-ons with new cars as well. It is B.S.! There is a dealer here (not Honda but starts with an H) that adds about $2K worth of options on the sticker of every new car they sell. Pin striping,paint and fabric protection. They discount the car $2K but add $2K in stuff that you haven't asked for.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Blueskulker

There will always be unscrupulous dealers like this who mark up used cars way over Blue Book, usually because it's a hot selling car. But I think it may be the exception, not the rule. I got my Fit this July for 15.5K, which was lower than Blue Book, and it did have the extended warranty from the previous owner. I recommend doing most used car shopping online so you can compare better.

When negotiating on a new car, ignore those sucker stickers completely. Let them know that they can either not include the price of those extras or take them off the car completely. A dealer I went to in early 09 would not take these items off the car nor exclude them from the already high OTD price (at the height of the recession no less), so I walked out. There's always a better deal out there.

Last edited by Vanct; 12-07-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct

Mainly truth if you're buying a more expensive car, but to be honest, a Fit is an entry level car. Depreciation isn't going to be that much.

Even for a new Fit, given the relatively low price, there really isn't that much margin or wiggle room.

You aren't going to get very much difference in price as compared to say a $30,000 or more expensive car.

At most perhaps the spread is just going to be a few $100s versus $1000s for a more expensive car.

Don't take me wrong. Shop around, get quotes from the internet department from dealers around you. Compare at truecar.com

But also consider just going to a dealer with better customer reviews and is more local to save time and hassle rather than travelling 200miles to get every last scrap on the table. Especially if you need to come in several times for paperwork/delivery or you end up having to deal with warranty, notice a problems during delivery, or they give you the run-around.

Last edited by raytseng; 12-07-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
Mainly truth if you're buying a more expensive car, but to be honest, a Fit is an entry level car. Depreciation isn't going to be that much.

Even for a new Fit, given the relatively low price, there really isn't that much margin or wiggle room.

You aren't going to get very much difference in price as compared to say a $30,000 or more expensive car.

At most perhaps the spread is just going to be a few $100s versus $1000s.

Don't take me wrong. Shop around, get quotes from the internet department from dealers around you. Compare at truecar.com

But also consider just going to a dealer with better customer reviews and is more local to save time and hassle rather than travelling 200miles to get every last scrap on the table. Especially if you need to come in several times for paperwork/delivery or you end up having to deal with warranty, notice a problems during delivery, or they give you the run-around.
I looked at slightly used Fit's and agree here. For the small savings you are getting a used vehicle. Spend a little more and get brand new.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
ask terran .

Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
End of the Month is the best time to buy a new car. If you want a 2010 then go get it now. The dealers should have some all this month. I picked mine up the last day of November and thought I got a good deal. 15488 for a manual sport. It was even the color I wanted. Once the 2011's come out, prices will go up again