2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Installing an exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Installing an exhaust?

Hey guys!
I've been thinking of getting an HKS Hi Power exhaust for my 2010 sport MT, and I was wondering about a few things.. I would install it myself, so I have a few questions. If I were to install an exhaust, would I have to do any adjustments as far as like the ECU adjusting to the air flow difference or anything like that? Or will it automatically adjust for itself? Also, what other things should I consider when installing an exhaust? Ive never done it before, so I'm just making sure I don't mess anything up!
Thanks in advance, all input is much appreciated!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
No ECU adjustments will be needed. Just jack up the car, put stands underneath it, and swap out the exhaust.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 PM
just bolt on, no real power gains, just ascetics and sound. it helps to have ramps and wd40 or penetrating lube for the bolts and the exhaust bushings.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM
before somebody throws a big rock on you... here's what you need:
jack
jack stand
wrench
wd40 for hangers

-rep for being lazy to use search

Old 12-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Haha alright thanks guys! Just what I wanted to hear..
And sorry for not using the search! Didn't think of that for some reason..? I will next time for sure!
Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FIT_maniack
Haha alright thanks guys! Just what I wanted to hear..
And sorry for not using the search! Didn't think of that for some reason..? I will next time for sure!
Thanks again!
You might gain some added throttle tip-in response and some noise, but you will likely lose torque by installing a freer-flowing exhaust and decreasing back pressure without doing anything else to the Engine or ECU..

Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah I can see that happening too.. What would you recommend doing to maintain that torque? I don't race or anything so if I lose a little then it's no big deal, its just my daily driver and i would like the sound of an exhaust on it.
Thanks!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah I can see that happening too.. What would you recommend doing to maintain that torque? I don't race or anything so if I lose a little then it's no big deal, its just my daily driver and i would like the sound of an exhaust on it.
Thanks!
well if you're just going for the sound there are much cheaper ways of going about it that look just as nice...search is your friend

Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!

Premium gas, one range colder spark plugs and a less restrictive pre-throttle body intake system would bring you back to where you were before modification.

Possibly seeing some gains across the rev range as the car can breathe more freely (better throttle response, if nothing else) and the colder plugs and better fuel will allow you to use the most aggressive MaxOct timing and fuel schemes..

Whether or not you will notice anything is entirely up to your driving habits.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
What DSM said is right.... The colder plugs and higher octane fuel helps by increasing the ignition advance and that will add to the low end power and improve fuel mileage.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh alright, that sounds great! I might just have to do that next then... Sorry for all the questions, but might you have a recommendation for some plugs for me? Or tell me what temperature range that the stock plugs are? I would really appreciate that!
Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Denso IK 22 spark plugs have shown power increases on a Dyno and work well for a lot of people.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
Install is easy. I just took it to my local Dodge dealer. In the time it would have taken me to jack car up I was on my way home. A 10 minute job for them with air wrench.

I really have not noticed any power lose but then I do not drive the crap out of it to get in that range where you may notice it.

HKS is nice but pricey... well in Canada

Listen here.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Alright, thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all the input! I have worked a little with cars before, especially lifts and jacks/stands and I've looked under where the pipe would hook up to and it looks like its just a couple of bolts and the hangers so I think I'll be able to figure it out!
So really, thanks a bunch! I'll post a video in the exhaust clips thread if/when I get it and install it!
Thanks again everyone!

P.S. Thanks black3sr for the clip! I really like the sound! Not too loud but loud enough, and a good tone to it as well..

Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Alright, so someone said that there are other cheaper options just for sound... I tried searching around but the problem is that I don't know what to search for. Could someone recommend something to me that is cheaper but still good quality and sound? I woul really areciate it!
Thanks!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member
Alright, so someone said that there are other cheaper options just for sound... I tried searching around but the problem is that I don't know what to search for. Could someone recommend something to me that is cheaper but still good quality and sound? I woul really areciate it!
Thanks!
Many people on here have dropped the muffler all together and just ran a straight pipe to whatever tip you want. The total cost at your local muffler shop should be under $150

Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh alright! I'll consider that for sure.. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Could someone recommend something to me that is cheaper but still good quality and sound?
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...st-option.html

Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Wow, I never even thought of straight piping, but for 200 bucks less, I think I'm gonna! Thanks for penning up that option for me, I would have searched it if I thought of it! I just never really found anything relevant or that answered my question when I was trying to search again..
Thanks again, I think that's what I'm gonna do!
Later..

Old 12-10-2010, 10:36 PM
its a good and straight forward bolt on so you ll be fine

Quick Reply: Installing an exhaust?