2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

white smoke and water from exhaust??? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM
white smoke and water from exhaust??? HELP!!!!

I know i might sound stupid but i just bought a 2010 Fit last week and everytime i start it up in the morning white smoke and water start to come out from the exhaust. Is this alrite??????? it my first car and don't know much about it!!!!!! I call the dealer and they said that it is due to condensation and that it was normal on Hondas but my dad's 03 accord never had this problem.

I'm I worring to much bout it??????

I live in Puerto Rico and night temperture is probably around 70's.

Thanks in advance.

BTW just found out bout this site and it is GREAT.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
i don't know how it goes in puerto rico but around 70degress taht never happened over here. go to the dealer and test drive couple honda fits and see if it does the same.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:41 AM
your fit is radioactive... don't touch it!!! LOL

nahhhh, you're fine. Don't worry 'bout it

Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_PR
I know i might sound stupid but i just bought a 2010 Fit last week and everytime i start it up in the morning white smoke and water start to come out from the exhaust. Is this alrite??????? it my first car and don't know much about it!!!!!! I call the dealer and they said that it is due to condensation and that it was normal on Hondas but my dad's 03 accord never had this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Its normal because the ethanol cools the engine lower than outside and when the engine exhaust gets to 172 the smoke(water vapor) will disappear unless its winter and temp are below 45 degrees then it will smoke at idle which is condensation and normal.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_PR

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to fathom a guess that it's not actually smoke, but steam or water vapour. It's also not a problem if it goes away as your car warms up.

Water is a by-product of the combustion of gasoline. Gasoline contains hydrogen, and when gasoline is burned, some of that hydrogen combines with the oxygen being used to burn it, producing water.

Most of the time, the exhaust is hot enough that the water remains in the form of invisible water vapor. When the engine is cold, the exhaust pipe is cold, or the outside air is cold, this water may condense and become visible as "steam" or as liquid water dripping from the tailpipe.

Now if it is actually "smoke", it won't disappear as stated above, and it is likely antifreeze being burned off by the engine. Typically this happens when the head gasket is worn - but I wouldn't expect this on a brand new car.

Here in Canada "steam" from the exhaust is a regular part of operating a vehicle during the fall/winter/spring. Nothing to worry about.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree with Nothing.
Totally normal. Its not an issue unless you are getting the white smoke well after the engine is fully warmed up, which would indicate a head gasket leak.

Every car gives a little steam off when it starts and is cold.

Zach

Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, im feeling better know cuz I thought something as wrong!!!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply!!!!!!

I'm loving the site!!!!!!!!!!!