2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
A newbie question

I'm thinking about purchasing an Auto 2011 Fit. Has anyone actually driven, both the Base model and the Sport model??? Besides cosmetics, does the added swaybar and bigger wheels, change the "feel" of the Fit. If you were blindolded, would you be able to tell the difference?? Does anyone know, if they are any huge suspension differences (besides the swaybar), between the Base and Fit?? Ya know, like slightly lower, revalved shocks, etc.

Al ..

Old 11-27-2010, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
I only know the feeling of driving an automatic sport. And mine is a 2009 but from what I've learned there are almost no changes to the 2010 and I don't know about 2011. Having owned a BMW before, the Fit Sport has a nice tight feel to it and handles great for a car that costs $17K new. If it were me personally, I would only buy the sport model.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
I think you probably could feel the bigger tires, but maybe not the swaybar as much (unless you are a really "spirited" driver, then it should be more noticeable).

I personally like the Sport.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 PM
I doubt you will feel any difference unless you are actually pushing it to the limit....which i dont know why you will to a fit.

But fit sport looks way better in my opinion. and who knows maybe you can feel it, but lets just wait till we see some 2011 fit members join the forum.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
I think you probably could feel the bigger tires, but maybe not the swaybar as much (unless you are a really "spirited" driver, then it should be more noticeable).
^ That's pretty much it.

You will feel a slight difference between the 15 inch and 16 inch wheel/tire combos because of the varying thickness in the tire's sidewall in respect to the wheel's diameter.

The 15 inch tires have a larger sidewall than the 16s and it will soak up the bumps in the road better; but, it will be more prone to flexing during cornering due to the sidewall. On the other hand, the 16 inch tires will of course have a smaller sidewall and will not flex as much as the 15s during cornering (not considering the Sport's sway bar); but, bumps will be more noticeable due to that additional sidewall stiffness.

As for the the sway bar in the Sport or the lack of one in the Base, I couldn't help. I haven't driven nor rode in either version for GE chassis Fit yet.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the replys. Just from reading, it doesn't appear that the Base, or the Sport are "plumbed" differently.

Al ..

Old 11-28-2010, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
The addition of the rear sway bar should make a noticeable difference. Can't see how it would be otherwise. I'm always surprised at what I can do in my stock suspension Sport, and I've had much more capable cars in the past. The car take mid corner steering corrections towards the apex very well in my opinion. Overall it's the light weight that makes it a fun car and you can add a progress rear sway in the future to the Base. For all the extra stuff you get with the Sport, unless you are on a struct budget, I think it's a better thing in the long run, especially resale value, or marketability of it in the used market.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I drove both multiple times when deciding between the two. At one dealership, I took the Sport out on a test drive, then the Base on the exact same course, then the Sport again.

I am 100% convinced that the Base has a less harsh/bumpy ride.

I bought the Base because of this.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jackie11111
I drove both multiple times when deciding between the two. At one dealership, I took the Sport out on a test drive, then the Base on the exact same course, then the Sport again.

I am 100% convinced that the Base has a less harsh/bumpy ride.

I bought the Base because of this.
Like I said in my previous post, its due to the 15 having a larger sidewall to absorb the initial shock from a bump.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hootie
^ That's pretty much it.

You will feel a slight difference between the 15 inch and 16 inch wheel/tire combos because of the varying thickness in the tire's sidewall in respect to the wheel's diameter.

The 15 inch tires have a larger sidewall than the 16s and it will soak up the bumps in the road better; but, it will be more prone to flexing during cornering due to the sidewall. On the other hand, the 16 inch tires will of course have a smaller sidewall and will not flex as much as the 15s during cornering (not considering the Sport's sway bar); but, bumps will be more noticeable due to that additional sidewall stiffness.

As for the the sway bar in the Sport or the lack of one in the Base, I couldn't help. I haven't driven nor rode in either version for GE chassis Fit yet.
I totally agree. I drove our FIT sports with 16 inch tires for 3 months before changing to 15 inch tires and really feel the difference. The sports wheel 16 in tires with lower sidewall makes the cornering very tight and responsive and so much fun to drive... peppy sports car feeling. with a higher side wall 15 in tires, it becomes an ordinary car.. lack the tightness