2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Am/fm/cd removal for a navigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Am/fm/cd removal for a navigation

I just bought this yesterday...(waiting to receive it)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110612616812

and now need to know how to remove my stock unit:

Is this something that I should take to a shop to for installation? The seller told me it's plug and play....so I'm guessing I should be able to do it. But How do I rip off the stock unit?

Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 AM
its easy. first remove your battery cable.
next, pull off the square cover under your fresh air vent/recirculate switch. ( the thing to choose air from outside or inside air) under your a/c / rear defroster switch.

After you remove that, there is going to be one screw that's going to be holding the headunit. its hard to see since you have to look up into it. Towards the headunit.

After you remove that, open you glove box. ( where your usb cable is at) and there is a small hole where you can pry it off from.

Everything else is on there by clip so take your time and remove the headunit by pulling/ prying on it. thats it.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
sweet thanks...i'll post pics of it when I install it

Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Look at these threads:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post617194

This is about the best thread, although there are others too. You'll do everything up through step six.

I gave a fairly detailed account of where the press-fit tabs for the stock radio trim are located in an earlier thread, quoting myself here for simplicity:
Originally Posted by SteveInNC
I have an 09, but for mine, it really came down to committing to it, and yanking the beejezus out of it, after I had popped most of the press-fit panel connectors at least partially loose. I did pry all the way around with a painter's tool and/or putty knife, both wrapped in electrical tape. I also put electrical tape all along the edges of the trim piece and the dash. I didn't noticably scratch anything. On the 09, there is a single bolt holding on the radio, accessed via the bottom panel and vent control similar to yours.

For the 09, and possibly yours, there is a notch on the upper right side of the OEM trim piece, under the upper glove box door. You can slide a flat blade screwdriver into this to get some more leverage. You work around from that side prying out the press-fits, effectively unzipping the panel from the dash. Keep in mind that the radio pulls out mostly horizontally, so you want your pulling force in that direction.

I think that your stock radio is different from mine given the change in air control setup, but my stock non-navi radio has seven press-fittings on it. There is one each at the very ends of the top extensions of the trim piece that fit around the vents, on the right, one directly in-line with the row of the LCD, one at the corner on the right where the vertical edge of the trim meets the section that curves under the radio, one at the bottom edge under the Scan button, one at the bottom edge under the "note/speaker" button, and one on the left edge directly in-line with the "1" preset button.