2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

please help with brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
please help with brake fluid change

Fit freaks:

I would like to change my brake fluid in my 09 (52k miles) to dot4 synthetic and would like to know a few things:

1) How hard of a job would this be? I would be doing it in a driveway with the most basic of tools...

2) Do I need to remove the wheels to bleed the brakes? If so all 4 or the front 2?

3)Can one person do this or will I need help (someone pressing the pedals while bleeding)?

4) Where are the valves to bleed them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Santiad (David)

Old 11-17-2010, 04:13 PM
You should just let a professional do this. If for some reason you do not do it right, you can die or get in serious injury.

Just pay a dealer/local mechanic to do the job.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Santiad,

It is WELL worth the $50 to buy a Motive Power Bleeder for the job. I just recently bled the brakes on my '90 Volvo 240, which has 8 bleeders total - the normal 1 on each rear caliper, and then THREE on each of the front calipers, and they need to be bled in a specific pain-in-the-ass order. The power bleeder makes this an easy 1-person job.

I don't yet have a shop manual for the Fit, and won't be bleeding the brakes on mine for another 8 months or so, so I can't help you with the bleed order - but it is NOT difficult if you do your research first and are relatively handy. Careful, though - brake fluid is extremely corrosive and will take paint off, but it's water-soluble so keep some water/rags handy in case you drip any on your car's finish.

Can't recommend the power bleeder enough, though. Fill with fluid, attach to reservoir, pump up to ~15psi, and just do your thing at each corner as the pressure keeps a constant stream of fluid coming out. No opening and closing bleeders repeatedly as someone else pumps the pedal.

Edit:
And yes, you'll need to take the wheels off to do this job, but you can do them one at a time as you need to access that bleeder.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
I think i read that the general bleed order for most cars is furthest from the driver, then move closer.

RR, LR, RF, then LF

Old 11-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it's not a hard job at all, but you will need a friend to help unless you go buy one of those special bleeders tools. if you know how to jack your car up and remove all the wheels, you can bleed your brakes.

you definitely need to take the front wheels off and might be able to get to the bleed valves on the rears without removing the wheels, but you can bleed them more easily and comfortably if you just take the wheels off.

the only additional tools you need (besides new brake fluid) are a box wrench that fits the bleed valve (i think it was 10mm for the GD3), a hose, and bottle/container if you don't want brake fluid squirting on the ground.

the hardest part in my opinion is jacking the car up and removing the wheels. after that you just open and close the bleed valve while your friend pumps the brakes. timing is important here but it's not difficult to synchronize at all.

the bleed valves for the GD3 are located in the front/top of the front calipers, and on the side of the rear drums facing inward. they should have little black rubber caps on them that you just take off with your hands, not hard to miss at all.

there are plenty of tutorials and instructional videos online. check em out; you'll do fine and save an assload of money

the bleed order for GD3s, from the honda shop manual is driver front, pass. front, pass rear, driver rear.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by mynameisphunk
It is WELL worth the $50 to buy a Motive Power Bleeder for the job. I just recently bled the brakes on my '90 Volvo 240....
Have you used it on a Honda? I keep reading that the Motive requires a kludgy adapter for Hondas due to the style brake reservoir cap that Honda uses and therefore it's hard to get a realiable seal.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
I think i read that the general bleed order for most cars is furthest from the driver, then move closer.

RR, LR, RF, then LF
There's no "general" bleed order that works for every car. Every Honda I've owned has had a specific order, listed in the Factory Service Manual, aka "Helm".

The bleed order for the GE8 is:

Front Left (driver side)
Front Right
Rear Right
Rear Left

For those not familiar with doing brake bleeds, especially if this is your first time, I would not recommend going out and spending $50 on a power bleeder. There's a much greater chance you'll screw something up. Do it the old fashioned way to learn how to do it properly, and you'll learn how the brakes work and how to bleed it better.