2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Forget Costco for winter tires:

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Forget Costco for winter tires:

I saw a sale on Bridgestone Blizzaks at Costco. The guy in the tire center pulls up 2010 Honda Fit Sport on his computer and says... they don't make your size. I said, I know people who have them, check again and so he consults his book. Says, you're right... but we don't carry them and we can't order them. He said they can only carry certain sizes... and could NOT special order this size... even if I paid in advance.

Also, he said by law they are not able to put snow tires on winter steelies without TPMS... because that would be disabling the system istalled on the car. He said it didn't matter if I agreed to live with the light on.

Does this sound true? I wonder if it's a law or a Costco policy... though he said law.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by jccruises
I saw a sale on Bridgestone Blizzaks at Costco. The guy in the tire center pulls up 2010 Honda Fit Sport on his computer and says... they don't make your size. I said, I know people who have them, check again and so he consults his book. Says, you're right... but we don't carry them and we can't order them. He said they can only carry certain sizes... and could NOT special order this size... even if I paid in advance.

Also, he said by law they are not able to put snow tires on winter steelies without TPMS... because that would be disabling the system istalled on the car. He said it didn't matter if I agreed to live with the light on.

Does this sound true? I wonder if it's a law or a Costco policy... though he said law.
Did you see if they had 205/50/16's in stock? Those will fit the stock rims just fine.
See our discussion here...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post925706

Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Did you see if they had 205/50/16's in stock? Those will fit the stock rims just fine.
See our discussion here...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post925706
205's are too wide for the fit for a winter tire. You want to stick with 175 or 185's for winter tires so you cut through the snow/slush instead of "floating" on top.

OP, many places will not mount tires on wheels that they know are going on a TPMS Car. There are usually two ways around this; they have a form for you to sign, or you bring the steelies in with you (not mounted on the car) and say you want to mount tires (specify brand/size) on these steel wheels and do NOT specify any type of vehicle. tell them it is for a lawn sculpture you are doing for your new College Advanced Yard Art Course. (or you can tell them it's fora 94 Acura integra or any 2005 or earlier Civic) Then you take them home and put them on the car.

~SB

Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
205's are too wide for the fit for a winter tire. You want to stick with 175 or 185's for winter tires so you cut through the snow/slush instead of "floating" on top.

OP, many places will not mount tires on wheels that they know are going on a TPMS Car. There are usually two ways around this; they have a form for you to sign, or you bring the steelies in with you (not mounted on the car) and say you want to mount tires (specify brand/size) on these steel wheels and do NOT specify any type of vehicle. tell them it is for a lawn sculpture you are doing for your new College Advanced Yard Art Course. (or you can tell them it's fora 94 Acura integra or any 2005 or earlier Civic) Then you take them home and put them on the car.

~SB
Fine then go with a 195. In the Blizzaks its only .25" wider. Air pressure will make a bigger difference than that.
Or you could go with your steely install not on the car idea. I kinda like that idea.