2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Winterizing my Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Winterizing my Fit

Okay, so what I'll start with: I DID search the forum, but maybe my search logic sucks, but I didn't find much besides tires. And secondly, if I, as a newbie, want this answered, I'm sure many others will too, so good to get it on the first page once, answered correctly, and out of the way!

So, what would people recommend as the best steps for making a Fit survive a harsh, salty, icy, no-humidity winter with as little wear as possible?

I know snow tires are highly recommended, but what about other maintenance? what car wash techniques should I use now and as the winter progresses?

My car is a straight-out-the-box '10 Sport AT with 6k miles on it (haven't had the first oil change yet).

I apologize if this is a "classic newb groaner post", so feel free to ignore me as appropriate!

Dio.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
out of the box... you should and will be fine... slapping snow tire will do even better... snow tires on steelies will definitely preserve your factory wheel/tire... always blast the under carriage with high pressure water (I made it a weekly ritual when I was in NY now I'm in IL, will do same) salt is the enemy

with those in mind... stay safe and drive responsibly

Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
winter tires, and a full bottle of washer fluid

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Should I be waxing the car now as much as possible to get it ready for the cold months?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I would suggest sticking it in the garage for the winter and never touching it... Buy a beater for the winter... Or you could move to a "nicer" climate

I never understood why anyone would want to live where there is ice/snow/cold/satan...

But all in all - my suggestions would be -

Snow tires on steelies
Get dealer to drain and refill coolant *just to make sure, depending on temps*
Wash underside of vehicle once a week to HELP prevent rust

Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
There was another thread on this, but I'm too lazy to massage the search function to find it .

Here's my list:
1. Wax it now, if it's not too cold, cause you may not get a chance to do it until spring.
2. Before it drops below freezing, empty your windshield washer reservoir and fill it up with washer fluid that says it goes down to -20 or something. There have been reports that the Fits are coming with summer-only washer fluid... it'll freeze and crack the washer fluid reservoir.
3. As for car washing, I just take it to a self wash place and clean out the undercarriage and run it through the touchless car wash every two weeks or so (the kind that just sprays high pressure water at the car).

Also, if you do get stuck in the snow somewhere, be careful where you try to push on the car! Most of the sheet metal is pretty flexible and it'll dent if you try to push too hard on it (like the front fenders -- don't ask how I know).

EDIT: I found a similar thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...r-driving.html

Last edited by clicq; 11-01-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
All good suggestions above, you also want to use an oil that won't be too thick on start up for your climate. Though the 5w or 0w20 is probably fine.

A higher CCA battery couldn't hurt either.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Snow tires on steelies and touchless car wash every two weeks.

Store car for winter??? Hell they are just econo boxes drive them.

Snow is nice beats having to carry every time you go out.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr

Snow is nice beats having to carry every time you go out.
"having to carry" what?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
OP, where are you located? Your needs will differ from location to location. If youare way up north, you might want to consider a Block heater.

Keep a spray bottle with RainX washer Fluid in the back and a rag to clean your headlights with. Maybe pick up a stack of coffee filters as well from the office (you know, the extras that always come with the case of coffee - 100 packs of coffee & 200 filters...).

Snow tires are good but not necessary in many places for the 1st winter of the vehicle. I run all seasons the first year, then move to snows.

~SB