2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Notchy 5th Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Notchy 5th Gear?

Hi all,

I purchased my 2010 Fit Sport a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it so far. One thing I've noticed though is that shifting into 5th gear feels a bit strange...almost like a slight grind, without any noise. Does anyone else experience this notchy feeling only into 5th gear? I'm not at all new to driving a stick shift. I should note that this doesn't happen if I shift quickly, but when shifting leisurely it feels a bit strange.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
take it to the dealer then. its what warranty is for.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I've noticed this as well, it doesn't feel like it's "broken" per se it just doesn't feel like other M/T cars i've had. I've just taken it as part of the car's character unless it starts becoming a problem.

I'm assuming it will get a little better as I put some miles on the car but we'll see I guess.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by OneCamJam
I've noticed this as well, it doesn't feel like it's "broken" per se it just doesn't feel like other M/T cars i've had. I've just taken it as part of the car's character unless it starts becoming a problem.

I'm assuming it will get a little better as I put some miles on the car but we'll see I guess.
Thanks OneCamJam, glad I'm not the only one. Your description is exactly as I see it also. Are you only noticing this in 5th as well? My other gears feel perfect.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:23 AM
I would take it to the dealer -

Here is what they will do - *Had a similar issue with my 08 Civic Si*

You go in and complain about it, they will either change the fluid for free or ask you to pay for it *59.00 or so*

If it still does it, bring it back, they will replace the gear/syncro under warranty...

Fixed

The reason you have to change the fluid the first time is because Honda wants to make sure that there is a real issue before forking out the cash to replace the gear/syncro...

They changed out my 2nd and 3rd for free after I paid 59 bucks for a fluid exchange...

Good luck though

Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Cl9lover, that makes sense but my Fit has under 1000 miles on it, so no way I'm paying for any new fluids yet . I'll probably see how it feels in a few thousand miles, maybe it's just the character of the car. I know the grind you're referring to in the Si transmissions, this isn't nearly as severe as that. By the way, how long did it take for the dealership to replace your syncros?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by climhazzard
Cl9lover, that makes sense but my Fit has under 1000 miles on it, so no way I'm paying for any new fluids yet . I'll probably see how it feels in a few thousand miles, maybe it's just the character of the car. I know the grind you're referring to in the Si transmissions, this isn't nearly as severe as that. By the way, how long did it take for the dealership to replace your syncros?

My gears werent even grinding =/. Just notchy, but I was almost out of warranty...

Took the dealer 2 days and they gave me a loaner POS Civic :P

I didnt know you only had 1k miles - But I would def. take care of it before 10k just in case...

Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Cl9lover
My gears werent even grinding =/. Just notchy, but I was almost out of warranty...

Took the dealer 2 days and they gave me a loaner POS Civic :P

I didnt know you only had 1k miles - But I would def. take care of it before 10k just in case...
Gotcha, 2 days isn't too bad and a loaner is nice, I don't think Honda requires the dealer to do that. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by climhazzard
Gotcha, 2 days isn't too bad and a loaner is nice, I don't think Honda requires the dealer to do that. Thanks for the info!

Normally dealerships have them for services lasting longer than 1 day -

Im friends with the tech that worked on my car, so he busted it out fast... Dunno how long it will take "normally"

And no problem Glad to help