2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Zombie FitFreak Horde.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
I've thought about this topic too, but sort of from the other side. I'm not into major mods, lowering, intakes, etc. but I feel for you guys who have to wade through the chatter to talk about those topics. I also find the "what should I get", "look at my new OEM floormats" threads boring but recognize that people want to discuss things, and I can choose which discussions to join. I'm generally interested in simple usability improvements like roof racks, ergonomics, etc. I'm the proud inventor of the driver's door armrest elbow pillow.

There's already an ECO-fit sub-forum. Maybe you true Fit modders should campaign for a "Performance Mods" sub-forum?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
I think part of the reason for many of these repeat posts & other issues is that:
1- the Search really isn't great for finding what you are looking for - it works, but not all that well.
2 - the layout of this forum is just plain awful. The Original Mods had the great intent to keep ALL fit owners together and providing input on both the GD & GE platform. This just doesn't work and can only get worse with more and more generations as everything will get lost. Every other forum keeps generational information lumped together and while it might not keep the entire Fit family together, it does make things much easier to find and is less confusing/menacing for newb's. (you also don't need those useless stickies and "announcements" which take up so much space) The only place I've seen lumping everything together work is over at vtec.net which has an odd forum platform and really lumps almost EVERYTHING about the fit (including generations, performance, electronics, etc...) into one group of posts.

Lyon, you should link all of your options above to the best threads that disucss these topics. At one point I suggested that for DIY's someone creates a thread with links to all the GE DIY's in the different sub-forums. That would be worthwhile to be a sticky (as long as we hacked off some other sticky) Also a Sticky with "Common Questions - a Must read for NEW MEMBERS" would be handy. The downside to both of these suggestions is they require time & Effort of one or more members that have access to modify the same thread. (usually Mods) Unless a wiki could be added with access limited to a handful of senior members.

As for lyon's original post, Unfortunately, the fit is not a Platform that is condusive to much other than use as a daily commuter and I see some enthusiasts but not the quantity you'll see for other platforms. Dont' get me wrong here, I'm not saying it Can't be modified and doesn't have lots of potential, just that when everything is considered, it's not the optimum platform for modifications. With the fit being not easily modifiable, having a tiny engine bay, and being at the top of the price range for it's class, i think it'll be less likely to be modded until a few years worth of used vehicles are out there. Like others said, the GD has support because it's been out there for 7 years? Hopefully things change but I think the cheaper cars will show more after market support sooner. For example; kind of like the Neon had a lot of aftermarket support - it was a cheap, easy to Rice car for late teens, early twenty's "enthusiasts" without a lot of money. you could get your "performance" parts at Autozone or some other local auto parts store.

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 10-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
The first thing I noticed around here was how there were too many subforums, and they are grouped with the GD stuff. Not how it's done on other forums, and you don't have this many sections without at least 2-4 times as many members. There are less threads in some of those sections than there are posted in a few hours on the rest of the board. It's a mess.

Case in point:

Originally Posted by alam99
Moderators, can we create a thread dedicated for new owners and interested shoppers to post questions and comments? This way, we can continue to encourage new members/owners and readers can easily view or avoid what they want.
Already exists: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-freak-newbie-faqs/

Originally Posted by Ultrawolf
There's already an ECO-fit sub-forum. Maybe you true Fit modders should campaign for a "Performance Mods" sub-forum?
Really?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...duction-forum/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ps-ecu-tuning/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...s-jdm-styling/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-exhaust-systems/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...modifications/

And those are just the GD ones!

I think I am seeing the problem now. Too many sections - nobody even knows about them! How are people going to find info they want, especially when the search is so limited? I can't find shit on here about anything with the search half the time. I don't need 2 letter searches, but would 3 really kill the server? I don't think so with this many members, but who knows. That's quite a bit more words to crawl and I don't know what kind of hosting they have for this place.

Most smaller forums keep it pretty simple, and come up with some version of these three:

Power Mods
(FI sub forum okay)
Suspension and Brakes
Exterior and Lighting
ICE

Done.

edit: There already IS a DIY section. Why are people not using it? Maybe because it takes 5 minutes just to scroll to that section?

Last edited by hayden; 10-30-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by hayden
The first thing I noticed around here was how there were too many subforums, and they are grouped with the GD stuff. Not how it's done on other forums, and you don't have this many sections without at least 2-4 times as many members. There are less threads in some of those sections than there are posted in a few hours on the rest of the board. It's a mess.

I think I am seeing the problem now. Too many sections - nobody even knows about them! How are people going to find info they want, especially when the search is so limited?

edit: There already IS a DIY section. Why are people not using it? Maybe because it takes 5 minutes just to scroll to that section?
You're right. I hadn't even seen the newbie thread because it was tucked away under the Feedback section.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by alam99
You're right. I hadn't even seen the newbie thread because it was tucked away under the Feedback section.
Can we give the newbie thread higher visibility by moving it to the primary "Honda fit and jazz" forum? Thanks.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Before we start moving threads around... the Mods need to re-look at the structure and decide to re-organize appropriately, not continue on with this mish-mash/hodge-podge random structure. I don't think I even knew there was a newb thread.

There needs to be Separate GE & GD top-tier subforums with each having their own set of subforums. (the structure under each of them should be essentially identical). At the same level as the GD & GE forums should be the NEWB forum which has a "check-in" forum, Rules & Regs forum, FAQ, tips/Tricks for searching. The goal to have all Fit Owners as a "community" is a noble one but misguided and obviously ineffective. These "2nd Gen GE8...." Subforums also make the the whole site look like the addition of the ge8 was an Afterthought.

The sooner the mods get this cleaned up, the better it will be for the next Generation.
~SB

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
lol@HEY GUYS...
not saying that it's annoying but the HEY part reminds me of THIS...

Happy Halloween: YouTube - The Annoying Orange 2: Plumpkin

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 AM
I once ran a forum when I used to manage a public game server and seriously, it's nothing as disorganized as this.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
i wouldn't say these threads are bad.. it shows that people are actually doing something to their fit actually.

it would be boring if we DIDn'T see these threads and everyone just kept their fit bone stock

Old 10-31-2010, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Agreed, but we need a major redo.

--

Too add to my rant. How many exhausts are there for the GE8? Like, 4 that anyone buys? 4 products doesn't need a whole section about them!

I'm glad this has been brought up. The site can only be as good as the usability allows. Let's get organized.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 PM
What I have noticed in my short time here is that there seems to be a lot of inability to read or understand the owners manual. JMO.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
this is why fitfreak needs more trolls that berate others for making so many dumb threads. it keeps the fear in the noobs. start talking more shit and things will be better
They're all banned.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I've been on the forum since February 2007 and it has not changed. When I first got my Fit I am sure I asked some of those questions too.
It got to the point though I thought if I see one more thread from a newbie asking about the sloughing gas tank - I would go nuts. I am happy to see people buying their Fits and finding this forum. I learned so much and it helped me to decide the vision I had for my own modifications. I just hope it continues and that we see more newbie because that means more Fit owners and more interest in this great little car.

Cat

Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdnewman
What I have noticed in my short time here is that there seems to be a lot of inability to read or understand the owners manual. JMO.
exactly... +rep for the truth!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by Cat
I've been on the forum since February 2007 and it has not changed. When I first got my Fit I am sure I asked some of those questions too.
It got to the point though I thought if I see one more thread from a newbie asking about the sloughing gas tank - I would go nuts. I am happy to see people buying their Fits and finding this forum. I learned so much and it helped me to decide the vision I had for my own modifications. I just hope it continues and that we see more newbie because that means more Fit owners and more interest in this great little car.

Cat
Damn so thats what that noise was when I was test driving Fits... Didnt know the gas tank was that far forward... :rofl:

Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member

Case in point:

Really?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...duction-forum/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ps-ecu-tuning/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...s-jdm-styling/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-exhaust-systems/
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...modifications/

And those are just the GD ones!

I think I am seeing the problem now. Too many sections - nobody even knows about them! How are people going to find info they want, especially when the search is so limited? I can't find shit on here about anything with the search half the time. I don't need 2 letter searches, but would 3 really kill the server? I don't think so with this many members, but who knows. That's quite a bit more words to crawl and I don't know what kind of hosting they have for this place.

Most smaller forums keep it pretty simple, and come up with some version of these three:

Power Mods
(FI sub forum okay)
Suspension and Brakes
Exterior and Lighting
ICE

Done.

My personal favorite is when people actually do find these threads successfully and they post looking for a follow up (its almost like once someone gets their answer or result, they just stop!, no follow up. keep it to their selves. WHORES!) and the poster gets FLAMED "oh wow way to dig up a dead thread", "this is so old." MAN STFU! post info, not hate

Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 AM
^^ I think I dug 2 threads from the dead without even realizing it after I already posted that it was month/s old... ... sad

Old 11-01-2010, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
^^ I think I dug 2 threads from the dead without even realizing it after I already posted that it was month/s old... ... sad
Yeah, I think a lot of previous Fit owners have been asked questions in that way. Haha. I'm sure there are a bunch of unanswered questions from old threads of mine on the last board where I was one of the top posters.

Something else I've complained about on here, is that people usually do not provide sufficient info with pics of their car, causing an onslaught of "what wheels?" - "what offset?" - "What suspension? - "How much, if you don't mind me asking?" - "where did you buy?" etc., etc,. etc. One post turns into 15 posts strew across several pages. Then nobody can find any answers later, so the question is asked again.

Maybe we need a garage section where it's easy for everyone to make a profile about their car that is linked through their name. Not like most of the people on here are going to be responsible enough to keep up with maintaining something like that over buying the next "sick" thing for their ride, then posting about it with poor grammar, and a lack of info, but it's worth a shot.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I think a lot of previous Fit owners have been asked questions in that way. Haha. I'm sure there are a bunch of unanswered questions from old threads of mine on the last board where I was one of the top posters.

Something else I've complained about on here, is that people usually do not provide sufficient info with pics of their car, causing an onslaught of "what wheels?" - "what offset?" - "What suspension? - "How much, if you don't mind me asking?" - "where did you buy?" etc., etc,. etc. One post turns into 15 posts strew across several pages. Then nobody can find any answers later, so the question is asked again.

Maybe we need a garage section where it's easy for everyone to make a profile about their car that is linked through their name. Not like most of the people on here are going to be responsible enough to keep up with maintaining something like that over buying the next "sick" thing for their ride, then posting about it with poor grammar, and a lack of info, but it's worth a shot.
I dont know about that. I see people sigs that list EVERY SINGLE little mod they've done. crap like "Mugen emo wrist braclets.." blah blah. and its like a whole page long. god forbid them to reply to a thread more than once. you go into the thread and it says 7 replies and its 10 pages long. fail. lol yeah im sure they would jump for joy to have a personal garage. fitfreakspace

Old 11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
My personal favorite is when people actually do find these threads successfully and they post looking for a follow up (its almost like once someone gets their answer or result, they just stop!, no follow up. keep it to their selves. WHORES!) and the poster gets FLAMED "oh wow way to dig up a dead thread", "this is so old." MAN STFU! post info, not hate

Or rather - "Look at meeeee!"

Trolling is about attention getting. Extreme criticizing and polarizing opinions are about attention getting. Car whoring is about attention getting. That last one, I am okay with. If you got it, whore it. If people have a problem with that, then they shouldn't be on a car message board.

Whoring in the proper section, like a brothel area, or red light district, would be a good idea though. Maybe we create an "Owners Showcase" section with a red lantern icon next to it where all the build threads are.

Quick Reply: The Zombie FitFreak Horde.