2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying a Fit tomorrow...have until 12pm to read your responses!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Buying a Fit tomorrow...have until 12pm to read your responses!!

Hey guys...I recently inquired about buying a fit through the Costco Auto Buying Program. I did a little bit of research and would like to have some input from you directly.

I'm looking for a 2010 Sport with Navi.

1. I'm buying the car to use as a Daily Driver. I drive about 2000-3000 miles per month. I will be driving city, highway, and in traffic. What is better to drive based on engine power response? Auto Or Manual? Sometimes I'm in a hurry and need the transmission that's going to give me a quick response if I have to downshift.

2. I'm in Los Angeles...what should be the Price I should look to pay before Tax & all? I don't want to have to call around and 'shop' for a better price. Who better to ask than you guys!

3. I want to get it fully loaded. I don't want to buy one and find out later that I missed out on an option. I don't know everything there is to know about it...so what should I be looking for if I want it fully loaded? A Code on the sticker or something?

4. If you've used the Costco program and got it fully loaded what did you pay?

5. Is 7-7.5% a lot for a financing rate on a 2010? That's what I was quoted over the phone credit app. Can I negotiate the rate??

6. I'm out of questions for now...BUT if you have something to add so I can lookout for to get or ask at the dealership, please let me know! Thanks!

...I'll post pics soon

Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alex T.
Hey guys...I recently inquired about buying a fit through the Costco Auto Buying Program. I did a little bit of research and would like to have some input from you directly.

I'm looking for a 2010 Sport with Navi.

1. I'm buying the car to use as a Daily Driver. I drive about 2000-3000 miles per month. I will be driving city, highway, and in traffic. What is better to drive based on engine power response? Auto Or Manual? Sometimes I'm in a hurry and need the transmission that's going to give me a quick response if I have to downshift.

2. I'm in Los Angeles...what should be the Price I should look to pay before Tax & all? I don't want to have to call around and 'shop' for a better price. Who better to ask than you guys!

3. I want to get it fully loaded. I don't want to buy one and find out later that I missed out on an option. I don't know everything there is to know about it...so what should I be looking for if I want it fully loaded? A Code on the sticker or something?

4. If you've used the Costco program and got it fully loaded what did you pay?

5. Is 7-7.5% a lot for a financing rate on a 2010? That's what I was quoted over the phone credit app. Can I negotiate the rate??

6. I'm out of questions for now...BUT if you have something to add so I can lookout for to get or ask at the dealership, please let me know! Thanks!

...I'll post pics soon
i have a manual and i love it but if your doing daily driver and you dont mind having an auto than go for it. for me ill always chose auto in a compact type car like this the sport does have paddles tho so im assuming you can manually downshift like that if you need too. i drive about 3k miles a month i have an 08 and it has 100k miles on it and a lot of the time in la traffic i wish i had an auto but its totally your call.

im not sure how it works anymore but i got my fit sport for 1 hundred dollars above invoice wich ended up being AROUND 14,600 or something like that before tax and licence to someplace around 15k plus tax licence and destination seems reasonable for a stick then add your nav and auto and your up to around 17 before tax lice and delivery.

and lastly fully loaded doesnt exist on a fit there are only 3 options.
BASE
SPORT
and then SPORT+NAV

if your getting the nav thats all the bells and whistles except for stupid crap like overpriced floormats etc. (buy that stuff after you get the car either aftermarket or from someplace like bernardi or college hills that has them cheaper. I WOULD HOWEVER suggest having them install your window visors and buying those through a dealer cuz although it isnt difficult it takes a bit of time so if the install fee is no more than like 20 bux have them tack that on lol. it will be something like 3 cents per month extra lol

good luck man.
and remember.
DON'T BUY THE ACCESSORIES FROM THE DEALER lol.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
I'd recommend the Fit SPORT without the high navigation option. The base model is already a huge chunk of change, and the Sport is not that much more. It has the larger wheels, and the automatic transmission has steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, which will give you quick access to the gears without the drudgery of driving a manual gearbox car in traffic. The door moldings, mats, appliques, cargo tray, etc. can be purchased online for huge savings. The fit is a high-optioned economy car- out of the box it's "loaded" with power windows and mirrors, air conditioning, etc. so no Fit is truly Spartan.

Last edited by phogroian; 10-29-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
IMO, i prefer base model...

First, if i'm ever going to have an auto, it would have to be a porsche or a ferrari... i think that even with the paddles, shifting is wayyyyy too slow...

Second, I never liked all the plastic they put... it's just dead weight to me... somebody once told me sport models are like padded bras... that's exactly what i think... but i guess that might not be a concern to you as it is for me...

Third, the sport wheels do look good, but they are heavy as hell! you can save some money and then buy a light set of könig or Enkei... btw resale value on Fit wheels isn't good, and i hear they get stolen a lot!

Finally, i know that we probably don't have the same needs, so i guess that for you sport model would be best... just trying to shed a new light...

BTW anyways, buy any Fit, and i think it'll make you smile... oh and welcome to the forum!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
It therefore comes down to personal preferences. In regards to the paddle shifters, the actual shift is lightning fast, but there IS a split second delay between the actuation of the paddles and the shifting of gears. One needs to keep this in mind when timing the shift and the accelerator position.

"Is 7-7.5% a lot for a financing rate on a 2010? That's what I was quoted over the phone credit app. Can I negotiate the rate?"

Yes that is high. You will end up spending over $1,500.00 in interest. I don't know if your particular buying program allows for negotiaion, but remember YOU have the power to walk away from this deal is you find it unsatisfactory.

Last edited by phogroian; 10-29-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by phogroian
It therefore comes down to personal preferences. In regards to the paddle shifters, the actual shift is lightning fast, but there IS a split second delay between the actuation of the paddles and the shifting of gears. One needs to keep this in mind when timing the shift and the accelerator position.

"Is 7-7.5% a lot for a financing rate on a 2010? That's what I was quoted over the phone credit app. Can I negotiate the rate?"

Yes that is high. You will end up spending over $1,500.00 in interest. I don't know if your particular buying program allows for negotiaion, but remember YOU have the power to walk away from this deal is you find it unsatisfactory.
Dunno what your credit rating is, but MyFICO quotes the following as the current rates for 48 month new:

720-850 5.034 %
690-719 6.565 %
660-689 8.496 %
620-659 12.171 %
590-619 17.948 %
500-589 18.93 %

And this for 60 month:
720-850 5.115 %
690-719 6.631 %
660-689 8.544 %
620-659 12.248 %
590-619 18.006 %
500-589 19.047 %

I might try applying to a credit union. Also note, if it interests you at all, that there is currently 0.9% interests on Civic Coupes... if the body style interests you at all, you could save a ton on the total price in the long run.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
I will get the Sport version but without the NAV. The money you save can get you a custom DVD + NAV + everything else...

Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 PM
My FICO score was 645 and they still gave me 0.9%. Maybe because I financed with Honda before? Iono... Maybe they're that desperate. Try to go on a weekday, end of the month... When they are trying to meet their monthly quota.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Fit Sport Automatic Transmission, NO OTHER. Way too many options added to ignore this model.
Contract your price "out the door". This is the TOTAL price you will pay.
DO NOT accept quotes on "extended warrantys", pin stripes, undercoating, paint protection, etc. etc. You want the price out the door for the car and the car only. Buy all options elsewhere.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 AM
I would get the FIt sport with NAVIGAtioN!! I have it and love it!!
The stereo is cooler with the LCD display and the touchscreen interface....voice command Navigation is great especially if you live in a Huge city like LA.
the external navigations are garbage, would you have an external portable radio mounted on your dash?

Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by canuck901
I would get the FIt sport with NAVIGAtioN!! I have it and love it!!
The stereo is cooler with the LCD display and the touchscreen interface....voice command Navigation is great especially if you live in a Huge city like LA.
the external navigations are garbage, would you have an external portable radio mounted on your dash?
Did you buy a Fit from the states?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phogroian

I'm not arguing for or against what you're saying, just adding a tidbit.

When I got my car 4 months ago (before the recent 0.9% sales), I had gone into the dealership with the intention of getting as low amount loan (amount financed) as possible so that I would have a low monthly payment (60 months). I knew with my credit (that barely exist), I couldn't get a low rate.

Initial offer... 12.4%, which incidentally was lower than I had expected to get (what can I say, I like breathing room on estimates).

Final deal... 9.89% (had to pay $1100 in extended warranty). I know, still HIGH by many standards. But, considering I had one line of credit which was a secured credit card that was only 15 months old... not a whole lot I could do about it.

I put a HUGE down payment, the max they would allow. In any case, the calculated interest would've come up to something like $1700.

BUT, I've been over paying like crazy, dumping money into my loan payments whenever I could... to the point where I could be done in one or two more payments... that's right, I'm only 4 months into the loan. I also ended up canceling the extended warranty, so that $1100 went directly into the loan.

So far, I've paid about $160 in interests... and if I finish off the loan within the month (of Nov)... it would total at or about $200. I could've saved more, but that down payment nearly wiped me out (had to leave enough "just in case" cash).

$200 vs $1700.

My point is... depending on your situation... you can manipulate it to pay less than the interest would imply (some lenders are willing to lower the rate if you take a longer loan, something you can do with a re-fi).

Last edited by Goobers; 10-30-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
..the external navigations are garbage
Now THAT is a load of bs.

The high end Garmins are world class, have a 4" screen, voice control and
cost around $400.

Why on earth would you pay an extra $1200 for an option that needs to have an expensive annual update to stay current?
Sure, you have some extra toys to play with, but at trade-in time that huge screen on the dash could well become a liability.
Oh, and you can't move it to the second (or third) car if you need it there.

Never invest in electric gadgets. They are short-lived.

Just try selling a 8-track. Or a cassette player.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdnewman
Now THAT is a load of bs.

The high end Garmins are world class, have a 4" screen, voice control and
cost around $400.

Why on earth would you pay an extra $1200 for an option that needs to have an expensive annual update to stay current?
Sure, you have some extra toys to play with, but at trade-in time that huge screen on the dash could well become a liability.
Oh, and you can't move it to the second (or third) car if you need it there.

Never invest in electric gadgets. They are short-lived.

Just try selling a 8-track. Or a cassette player.

Or hell, a CD player for that matter. I've had the Fit for about 15 months and it it has had 1 CD inserted. (I think it's still in there). Having built in Navigation is nice and the advanced iPod control is good (over the sport's interface) is a bonus but as for Navi, it was outdated when the 1st GE rolled off the assembly line. With the way navigation features are advancing, the ability to update Firmware, (not just the maps) is important and with a piece of hardware such as the fit's navigation receiver, you aren't going to get that option. Honda is no Navi company, they contract from (alpine? Pioneer?) for their navi and those companies do not update their OEM firmware. They spend their time and money supporting and updating the products that have their name on the front, not the sticker behind the dash.

The OEM navi is adequate and no where close to the capabilities of the new navi units. They don't even have he navi capabilities of today's phones. If it was a $400 option, I Probably would have gone for it but for the massive premium they charge up front, and the high costs just to update the maps every year, it is not worth it IMO.

~SB

Old 10-30-2010, 09:16 AM
+1 for the above. Specboy is exactly right.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by specboy
Or hell, a CD player for that matter. I've had the Fit for about 15 months and it it has had 1 CD inserted. (I think it's still in there). Having built in Navigation is nice and the advanced iPod control is good (over the sport's interface) is a bonus but as for Navi, it was outdated when the 1st GE rolled off the assembly line. With the way navigation features are advancing, the ability to update Firmware, (not just the maps) is important and with a piece of hardware such as the fit's navigation receiver, you aren't going to get that option. Honda is no Navi company, they contract from (alpine? Pioneer?) for their navi and those companies do not update their OEM firmware. They spend their time and money supporting and updating the products that have their name on the front, not the sticker behind the dash.

The OEM navi is adequate and no where close to the capabilities of the new navi units. They don't even have he navi capabilities of today's phones. If it was a $400 option, I Probably would have gone for it but for the massive premium they charge up front, and the high costs just to update the maps every year, it is not worth it IMO.

~SB
Navigation plus VSA is worth every penny, I paid $900 extra for mine
all honda navi units are great, i went on a road trip from Canada to California and loved the factory Nav, it was amazing, made our road trip so much more convenient.
The only thing its missing is bluetooth, other then that it blows away the garmin GPS.
Im sure your navi unit will be around for a good 10 yrs, while you're garmin may need a new battery or a cigarette lighter to plug in

and yes, i bought my fit with Navi and VSA in the US

Old 10-30-2010, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Navigation plus VSA is worth every penny, I paid $900 extra for mine
all honda navi units are great, i went on a road trip from Canada to California and loved the factory Nav, it was amazing, made our road trip so much more convenient.
The only thing its missing is bluetooth, other then that it blows away the garmin GPS.
Im sure your navi unit will be around for a good 10 yrs, while you're garmin may need a new battery or a cigarette lighter to plug in

and yes, i bought my fit with Navi and VSA in the US
I'll make a slight correction. VSA is worth every penny. The navi is decent but outdated the minute the developer stops working on it. Then it gets installed in vehicles without updates for at least 3 years (until the MMC) and if you want to update the maps... that'll cost ya. Compared to today's phones, it's not good. Navigon has for $39, full navigation on android which will kill anything that honda has right now. NAV apps and protable Navi units like Garmin receive regular updates (not just map updates) which you will NEVER see on a Honda.

$900 is a great deal for the VSA + Navi but what is that $900 more than? Invoice on a Sport? I wonder if for $1200-$1400 less, you could have picked up a non Navi/VSA sport as I'm sure the dealer would likely have made a smilar discount/deal (even if not as great) - unless they wanted to move a Navi that had been on the lot.

Not knocking anyone or any deal but the stock navi, while decent, is absolutely nothing special and not worth the premium often associated with a navi system. (we'll see how much of a premium with the 2011's it'll bring in price/how much the VSA is worth as VSA is standard on the 2011's) MSRP for the 2010 puts the NAVI/VSA at about a $2700 premium. - Realistically the Navi isn't worth much more than $600 as it's limited capability, outdated firmware/features, & Premium price to upgrade maps. that leaves the VSA at about $2100 MSRP more. Is the VSA worth $2100? I doubt Honda will jack up the price by $2100 on the sport - the'll price themselves right out of customers (even though very few people pay close to MSRP). Is VSA worth $1000? if so, is the Navi worth $1700? (definitely not at half the price let alone full).

We'll see what honda decides to do. I bet VSA bumps the price by $500 to $1000 and honda tries an additional 1K on top of the VSA for Navi. Maybe with Bluetooth?

Time will tell.
~SB

Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Navi and VSA are worth it for me.
I enjoy the internal onboard Navigation system and do not want anything mounted on my dash.
As to it being a good deal or not, that is a mute point.
Why do people drive An Acura or Cadillac?
The point is having a fully loaded car....and everyones opinions are different.
I bet you can ask any Honda fit owner that has the Navigation and VSA, they are 100% satisfied.
I bet I paid less for my 2009 Honda fit sport with Navi, then you did for your fit without. That;s not the point here.

I can drive a wagon with a lawnmower engine...Wow, i bet that's a "good deal"

Old 10-30-2010, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Again, it's all about personal preference and different needs... I'd rather have a striped ride that handles like crazy and makes me feel every single bump in the road... but that's not what my passengers seem to think... that's why i try to find a good balance... but hey that's still my car, so if they don't like it... but i do understand that most people will opt for a comfy ride and enjoy luxury items... it only depends of your needs!!! so if you want the NAVI and VSA go for it!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Navi and VSA are worth it for me.
I enjoy the internal onboard Navigation system and do not want anything mounted on my dash.
As to it being a good deal or not, that is a mute point.
Why do people drive An Acura or Cadillac?
The point is having a fully loaded car....and everyones opinions are different.
I bet you can ask any Honda fit owner that has the Navigation and VSA, they are 100% satisfied.
I bet I paid less for my 2009 Honda fit sport with Navi, then you did for your fit without. That;s not the point here.

I can drive a wagon with a lawnmower engine...Wow, i bet that's a "good deal"
No offense meant on any of this. I'm glad you got a great Deal & you love it but to be honest, the navi itself, is adequate and as I've mentioned before, antiquated. It is not a useless tool in the least and having it be permanently mounted is a benefit. Not everyone is happy and the real benefit of the Sport Navi is the VSA (which is a great piece of safety equipment and you are ahead of the game here on price). As for the deal I got, we did pretty well considering the amount I got on my trade. Nothing ultraspectacular, but nothing to scoff at either.

The off the cuff comment about the Caddy or Acura... you get a lot more car and actual good ammenities. Unfortunately, I think honda overpriced themselves on the Navi with VSA as a stand-alone navi (or aftermarket installed) will be much better, have more features and cost less. Bluetooth integrated would have helped the Navi but going with an aftermarket unit is 99% of the time a Win/Win/Win situation. The Down-side to not going navi is not the navi itself, but the rest of the "bundle" - VSA. For some it was worth the extra cost, haggling, travel, etc... for others... no so much.

for me, I use a Garmin Navi on my phone most of the time and have used Bing to find local places like restaurants, etc... and the only down-side is the time it takes to acquire satellites (about 1.5 min).

Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
Again, it's all about personal preference and different needs... I'd rather have a striped ride that handles like crazy and makes me feel every single bump in the road... but that's not what my passengers seem to think... that's why i try to find a good balance... but hey that's still my car, so if they don't like it... but i do understand that most people will opt for a comfy ride and enjoy luxury items... it only depends of your needs!!! so if you want the NAVI and VSA go for it!
Correct, it is about preferences. some have chosen to go the fully integrated route, others have chosen not to. Many have chosen the base model so they can upgrade themselves, many have chosen the sport or sport/navi.

from my point of view, the VSA on the Navi is worth looking into if it's within your budget (strictly for the VSA). Those holding off until 2011 will reap the benefit that I think many people wish they could have had this year or last. VSA without Navi. I would have gone that route if I could. The real question is what does honda think the Navi is worth... and we'll find out soon enough.

I'm not stomping on anyone who has purchased a navi/vsa vehicle because they have a nice ride with a great safety feature (also, traction control) but someone looking at the Navi unit, strictly for the Navi Features should look elsewhere as you CAN and WILL save allot of money by going aftermarket or a side-window-suctioned Navi unit WITH bluetooth, and many other features that never will be available on the GE. Many already have it with their Phone...

In short the Fit Sport/Navi is worth looking at as a whole car because of the fact that it comes with VSA, not because of the Navi itself. It should have been called the Fit Sport/VSA (including Navi) and not the other way around.

~SB

Quick Reply: Buying a Fit tomorrow...have until 12pm to read your responses!!