2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Scenarios for using paddle shifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Three main uses:

1. Slowing on the freeway. I can downshift to bring my speed down gradually, though I have to remember to canx the cruise.

2. Locking it in OD on the highway. The Fit LOVES to downshift on inclines. I can lock it in 5th by switching to manual mode. It seems to improve the mileage a bit.

3. Controlling speed on long downhills: The road from my workplace has about a 1 mile descent, perfectly straight, with a 25 mph speed limit. If I leave it in 2nd, the engine braking will almost keep it at the speed limit, with just occasional applications of the brakes to keep it in check.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
Gotta throw that in there, huh? He asks about how to use his car and you suggest to buy a different one. Do you really think you're being helpful or are you just into really subtle trolling?
I suppose I could of passed on commenting.

But I'm not trolling. Just offering my opinion after about 5 months of ownership. I love The Fit, and at my age, and how I usually drive, I like that it's automatic.

BUT...I have been disappointed in the paddle shifters. Maybe my expectations were out of line...because The Fit is the first automatic I've owned with paddle shifters...and maybe even with more time I will eventually learn to find some way to like the paddle shifters...I haven't given up...

I'm not suggesting the OP buy a new vehicle...just offering that if your expectations are that the Paddle Shifters will offer you a driving experience like a real stick shift and clutch? Then I think you are likely to be disappointed...and that's not a knock against an automatic or a stick shift...I think it's just the truth.

But I concede that isn't offering him specifics on how to use the paddle shifters...if only because I have yet to discover a useage that I find worth it....
But hey, like I said, I haven't given up...I will watch this thread and experiment some more myself....

Hell, I've got em...I'd like to like them.....

Last edited by fitchet; 10-17-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 PM
sorta off topic, but not really

Ok, so rented a car over the weekend for a couple of days - got a jeep.(no choice)

What's the first thing I looked to do when driving?

Where are the damn paddles??? Even my son asked me...doesn't this car have paddle shifters?

I am hooked, and have been for a while. The paddles makes the sucky auto trans much more responsive when you need it.

Heck, even the jeep had it's own version of paddle shifters...you could move the "stick" right or left to downshift or upshift for more power.

As long as there are paddle shifters, I will never go back to manual trans...

Old 10-25-2010, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AttoirRE
I'll either set it in S mode and manually shift to 5'th gear and set cruise control, so I don't get un-needed downshifts to 4'th on very small hills.
Originally Posted by rprpclark
About the only time I use S mode is when cruising or creeping at very low speed or on very hilly/curvy terrain where constant auto shifting is irritating.
OK. My 600 miles break in period was over on Friday so I decided to take my Fit down on the 5 freeway from North OC to Oceanside on Sunday. I left it on "D" and set cruise control and going 70mph. It was going fine past Irvine, Lake Forest, etc... until it hit the SJC/Dana Point bend and the hills around that area constantly forced my Fit to downshift, revving my engine up to 4000rpm on 3 occasions!!! I of course hit the paddle shifter to upshift it manually immediately and bring my rpm down.

On the way back, I remember reading your posts and set my car on S and manually shift it up to M5 and it was running smoothly all the way home.

Driving on "S" and manually shift to M5 when doing cruise control on the freeways is a must with the Fit!!!

Thanks Guys!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by handymus
Ok, so rented a car over the weekend for a couple of days - got a jeep.(no choice)

What's the first thing I looked to do when driving?

Where are the damn paddles??? Even my son asked me...doesn't this car have paddle shifters?

I am hooked, and have been for a while. The paddles makes the sucky auto trans much more responsive when you need it.

Heck, even the jeep had it's own version of paddle shifters...you could move the "stick" right or left to downshift or upshift for more power.

As long as there are paddle shifters, I will never go back to manual trans...
I spent the month of March in Georgia (the state, not the country), and had a a Focus rental car provided (thanks to the tax-payers of America.).

I seriously stressed out in there looking for the paddle shifters. I realized how accustomed I'd become to using the paddle shifters to brake on a grade. The cruise issue didn't come up, as this car had a bizzare options combo of Sirius, Sunroof, power-everything, alloys, trunk-lid spoiler, no cruise.

It was a 2010, but it felt like it was 7-8 years old from the get-go. The new Focus (Mazda-based) can't come a moment too soon.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by sumtingwong
OK. My 600 miles break in period was over on Friday so I decided to take my Fit down on the 5 freeway from North OC to Oceanside on Sunday. I left it on "D" and set cruise control and going 70mph. It was going fine past Irvine, Lake Forest, etc... until it hit the SJC/Dana Point bend and the hills around that area constantly forced my Fit to downshift, revving my engine up to 4000rpm on 3 occasions!!! I of course hit the paddle shifter to upshift it manually immediately and bring my rpm down.

On the way back, I remember reading your posts and set my car on S and manually shift it up to M5 and it was running smoothly all the way home.

Driving on "S" and manually shift to M5 when doing cruise control on the freeways is a must with the Fit!!!

Thanks Guys!
There's not much in the way of slick, icy roads in the OC... but if you find yourself in slick conditions (say, ski-trip to Tahoe), you can shit to M2 while stopped and it will let you start in 2nd. You will have extra torque (thanks to the torque converter), but it will be easier to modulate the power to the wheels, and less likely to spin the tires.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
i use them to come to a stop.

i save on brakes cause i barely use them. 33k and still
don't need any brakes.

also get to save on fuel as long as you keep the RPM's
up the car stays in DFCO.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 PM
like some others, I use mine for some engine braking when exiting the freeway, and for highway passing.

I really like my fit's paddle shifters. Much better than my subaru's +/- on the center console shifter, which I don't normally use.

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned here (I haven't checked the winter driving thread) I am in the camp of DO NOT use engine braking when the road is slick. Makes sense to me that engine braking is going to be countering what the ABS is trying to do.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Prefer the paddles to the shifter-controlled manumatic in my bride's panzer. Do have to remember that the Audi will upshift at redline, while the Honda just bumps up against the rev limiter. There are advantages to both systems.

It is also my opinion that the car can sense angle uphill or down when letting it shift itself, making the paddles handy when what you want and what Hal-the-computer wants aren't the same thing.
Moon