2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

broken fog light on sport?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
broken fog light on sport?

09 Honda Fit Sport...was cleaning my car recently and noticed that the plastic cover over fog light (but not foglight itself) was majorly cracked...probably from a rock?

Will a dealer fix this? I don't mind paying for it to be fixed if it's not covered so that's fine but what else can I get from the dealer (possible Honda accessory) that will protect the fog lights from this happening again?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
Dealer will replace the whole unit and it costs.

Do a search here. You can cover it with film from KoolKev

Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
KoolKev, eh?

Thanks for your help!!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
BTW, does it matter how long I've had my Fit? I bought it new from the dealer just over a year ago..I believe it was May '09 when I got it, so the dealer will still cover it?

One last question: (Sorry!)

I just did a quick google and find some good light kits for my 09 Fit at HeadLightArmor.com. I also looked at the KoolKev tutorial on here. I may do DYI or ask someone to do it for me (maybe the repair shop?) because I don't want to mess it up. Do you think the repair shop would put it on for me?

Also, I see many colours...clear, yellow, or blue. I really like the blue but I am worried that it will negatively impact the foglight's ability to help me see through fog and the like. How do these colors affect this?

Last edited by fitfreak89; 10-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear about your fog light.

NO, it doesn't matter how long you have had the car. I had my 09 Fit Sport LESS THAN 2 WEEKS and the fog light shattered. Tried to get the dealer to fix, but it is not covered by warranty. =( The service guy I spoke with said they have NEW cars that break fogs in the first week, and they don't cover them, because it is an "accident." Why does Honda make the headlights out of plastic, but the fogs out of glass? hmmm...

BTW, I tried the DIY of using clear plastic to fix the lens, but turned out to be too much trouble for me. Ordered the fog light for 128 from Majestic honda. (ouch!)

I am ordering headlight armor as well to protect it! Too expensive!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:58 PM
this happened to me few months ago. I ended up buying film from KoolKev and followed the DYI. It is easy to follow. he even has pictures to go along with it. try it. it is worth the time to install them. good luck

Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm...well that stinks. I will see if the dealer will cover the foglights and if not, then I'll pay. Will they cover it even if I pay? I really hope so.

I plan to get it fixed and then get the film for it for protection!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitfreak89
Hmm...well that stinks. I will see if the dealer will cover the foglights and if not, then I'll pay. Will they cover it even if I pay? I really hope so.

I plan to get it fixed and then get the film for it for protection!
Dealer will not do it for free.

Kev's film is a piece of cake.

Mine

Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 3925
Size:  59.6 KB

Old 10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
ecl
5 Year Member
One of my foglights cracked a week after I got mine..ended up buying a replacement from ebay and then bought film to add some sort of protection. Seems like a really common problem.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Lexan??? easy to cut w/ band saw and shatter proof. But Idk if it can hold up to the heat of the bulb...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Lexan is what I tried...but both silicone and glazing didn't want to work...I spent way too much time on the thing, so I surrendered, swallowed my pride, ordered the part, and spent the rest of the day with my family...priorities!

I'm kinda over a alot of the DIY stuff...way too much of that on my 88 wagovan.

BTW, just ordered my headlight armor for my fogs...$25 shipped to my house...much better price than a new fog light!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I ordered the fog light film protector from XPEL and it was precut for the 2010 Fit sport. On the website, it only comes in a package that includes the headlights, but I called them and I was able to order for the fog lights only. The color comes in clear, blue, yellow, or smoke and it is 30mm thick which is pretty good. The cost was $10 and I think the shipping was like $5. Not a bad deal.

XPEL Head Light Protection

Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Cool neoprag. Looks like it's precut for the 09 Fit Sport too (that's what I have).

I wonder though....it shows the "difficulty" level for installing these films to be 5 stars, which means very difficult?
I searched for a "dealer" in my area which could install them for me and I found one pretty close by, so I think I'll go that route.

I'm going to give them a call and see if I can get just the fog light films! Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I called my Honda Dealer and they will have to replace the whole foglight, and it will cost 182 dollars. Eh, could be worse I guess. I am definitely going to protect it with film though!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
After I cracked one a year and half ago and did the mod, I have not had any broken fog light.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Don't know anything about them but I saw these cheaper fog lights listed for the 2009/2010 Fit.
09 - 10 Honda Fit Fog Light Lamp (OEM# 33951-TK6-305) Left Driver Side
09 - 10 Honda Fit Fog Light Lamp (OEM# 08V31-S5D-1M102) Left Driver Side

Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Cool neoprag. Looks like it's precut for the 09 Fit Sport too (that's what I have).

I wonder though....it shows the "difficulty" level for installing these films to be 5 stars, which means very difficult?
I searched for a "dealer" in my area which could install them for me and I found one pretty close by, so I think I'll go that route.

I'm going to give them a call and see if I can get just the fog light films! Thanks for the advice.

BTW, I called my Honda Dealer and they will have to replace the whole foglight, and it will cost 182 dollars. Eh, could be worse I guess. I am definitely going to protect it with film though!
It's not difficult at all actually. Perhaps for the headlights since it's so freakin huge (and has the curves), but for the fog light, it was very simple.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:21 PM
For my 2009 Honda Fit Sport, I fabricated this lexan protector that sits in front of the lamp to shield against the sand blasting and flying rocks.
The OEM fog light is not modified and from visual inspection it does not touch the lens protector or it's hardware.
During this process I noticed the glass that was exposed to the opening of the housing was sandblasted by highway debris and would like to know if this can be polished out.
Hope everyone can read the writeup as an image. I have this writeup in PDF format including the template, but not sure how to share this with everyone.

Last edited by rcaholic; 10-10-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Its glass and it will cost you to get it replaced. If you want a cheap but not so perfect solution, remove the housing, break the glass and remove, and replace with a cut piece of lexan.

Problem is lexan is not great with heat, and can turn color/etc over time. Depends on how much you use your fogs. Or replace it and get a plastic film... most films will still probably deteriorate over time but at least you should be able to replace them.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Post Headlight Armor Fog Light Protection kits for the Fit are a good idea.

I just did a quick google and find some good light kits for my 09 Fit at HeadLightArmor.com. I also looked at the KoolKev tutorial on here. I may do DYI or ask someone to do it for me (maybe the repair shop?) because I don't want to mess it up. Do you think the repair shop would put it on for me?

Also, I see many colours...clear, yellow, or blue. I really like the blue but I am worried that it will negatively impact the foglight's ability to help me see through fog and the like. How do these colors affect this?
The Fit Fog Light Protection kit is a very easy DIY. They are designed to be applied dry with the fog lights and surrounds on the car. No need to disassemble anything. For fog, the GT Yellow or Clear is going to be better, though the HID Blue is not going to have much of a change.

Originally Posted by drumsauce
Sorry to hear about your fog light.

NO, it doesn't matter how long you have had the car. I had my 09 Fit Sport LESS THAN 2 WEEKS and the fog light shattered. Tried to get the dealer to fix, but it is not covered by warranty. =( The service guy I spoke with said they have NEW cars that break fogs in the first week, and they don't cover them, because it is an "accident." Why does Honda make the headlights out of plastic, but the fogs out of glass? hmmm...

BTW, I tried the DIY of using clear plastic to fix the lens, but turned out to be too much trouble for me. Ordered the fog light for 128 from Majestic honda. (ouch!)

I am ordering headlight armor as well to protect it! Too expensive!

Originally Posted by ecl
One of my foglights cracked a week after I got mine..ended up buying a replacement from ebay and then bought film to add some sort of protection. Seems like a really common problem.
The materials are not going to stop everything, but they will go a long way in protecting the lights!

(Side note: Signed on last week as a merchant here, just awaiting a account status change)

Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I spent hours yesterday looking for replacement lenses for my 09 Fit sport yesterday. One's been shattered since the second week of it coming off the lot. the price for a full replacement is $130-150 at least on Amazon. I found the lens and housing on Rock Auto's website for $47 or so. According to their fitment chart it's supposed to fit, so I went ahead and bought replacements. If it works I'll save a lot of cash, if it doesn't I'll feel really stupid.

Quick Reply: broken fog light on sport?