2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GPS recommendations....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Cool GPS recommendations....

So I tried searching the I.C.E forum but couldn't really find anything as far as reviews or preferences. It's time for me to buy a GPS unit and there are so many to chose from I need some help. What are you currently using and what do you like/dislike about it?

Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 PM
bmxman Follow this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...d-pointer.html

The Garmin1490 w/ the EcoRouteHD is a great set up that tells you where you are, where to go and gives you gauges as well.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman
So I tried searching the I.C.E forum but couldn't really find anything as far as reviews or preferences. It's time for me to buy a GPS unit and there are so many to chose from I need some help. What are you currently using and what do you like/dislike about it?
I have a Garmin Navi and it is not bad. Maps are up to date as of this last spring. I notice you are in BC Canada as am I, sometimes I notice that the Garmin gets "confused" with major route/hwy junctions. I have on numerous occasions wished I had a paper map when travelling Vancouver and the lower mainland area.

My $.02

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I've had the same GPS for 6 years (a Garmin GPS V). It's hopelessly outdated by modern standards (and honestly, wasn't a top tier model in 2004 when I bought it) but that sucker is bulletproof. Would highly recommend Garmins.

(When I went through USAF Survival Training, they sent up into the woods with Garmins.)

These days, I generally just use my iPhone though. It's not as polished as the commercial ones, but Waze GPS is pretty cool - they build their geodatabase the same way Wikipedia builds its encyclopedia. With a normal GPS map, you find a road that has changed, or isn't on the map, and you're frustrated. With Waze, you switch to recording mode, drive the new road to establish a trail, give the road a name, and share it with everyone.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Ein
5 Year Member
Might as well wait for the new models. Some of them have lifetime traffic, map and new features.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=87150

Old 09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Thumbs up

Anything from Garmin, period Although I do use the one on my cellphone from time to time.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
Might as well wait for the new models. Some of them have lifetime traffic, map and new features.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=87150
Agreed. You can pay a little more up front but not have to pay in the long run for Map Updates, or you can pay less now and be stuck with outdated maps, or pay later for updates. (if you are a gimmick-guy... or gal... and update items regularly, no need for lifetime updates).

Also, remember, some have bluetooth as well for your phone or Music.

Originally Posted by Klasse Act
Anything from Garmin, period Although I do use the one on my cellphone from time to time.
Yup... or you can do what I did and combine both I've got Garmin on my phone - Also have Destinator and igo8's navNgo.

~SB

Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
I recently bought the Garmin 1300 T from Best Buy- it includes lifetime map updates.
You can also buy lifetime updates as a separate purchase for $90 from the Garmin website.
I used the Garmin on a 4500 mile trip across country.
It was accurate for the most part--although goes a little haywire in some areas, so if you are in an unknown area, there is nothing like a paper map.

While trying to find a residential address in Champaign/Urbana it took me on a wild goosechase through the U of IL campus and then through some local cornfields... After I restarted the gps the 3rd time, it brought me to the right place.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't use one but friends highly recommend the Garmin Zuma and Navi. Another friend uses his cell phone application for a turn by turn voice directions. If I move to the big city I may invest in one.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Staples has the Garmin Nuvi 265W for $159 which has lifetime traffic and bluetooth. Not a bad deal but you have to hop on it today.

~SB

Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Staples has the Garmin Nuvi 265W for $159 which has lifetime traffic and bluetooth. Not a bad deal but you have to hop on it today.

~SB
crap I'm in for the night...I wonder if the Garmin GPS's can support 1/4 mile times . I never talk while I'm driving so bluetooth is not a concern for me.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
bmxman Follow this thread: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...d-pointer.html

The Garmin1490 w/ the EcoRouteHD is a great set up that tells you where you are, where to go and gives you gauges as well.
reading about it now

Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by bmxman
reading about it now
Not that reliable a combination, I'm currently on my third 1490t and second EcorouteHD. (Garmin replaced my new nuvi with a refurbished unit, twice.)

All seems to work for a few days/weeks, then the nuvi starts complaining it can't find the ecoroute. Re-synching the two units gets things going again, but that usually doesn't last and they can still fail to connect.

I'm on a cross country road trip with this setup ATM, and keeping my fingers crossed...

With what I've gone through since buying the two pieces, I most certainly would NOT recommend them to anyone.

Alex

Edit: Unit gave up the ghost this morning and won't synch with the Ecoroute, so as soon as I get home I'll be on the phone to Garmin AGAIN....
At least I can still use it as a GPS, but that's only half of what it should be capable of.

ABM

Last edited by weeladdie; 09-29-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
my Droid's gps/maps is better then my Fit's in dash gps

Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 AM
ive been a garmin fan for a long time ... but nowadays my opinion is that tomtom makes better products

too late now to really expound on the matter, but tomtom has wayyyy more feature for the $. not to mean useless features like supporting photos, mp3, bluetooth - but more details on routes, more route alternatives, better trip computer.

a sorta bad analogy is mac vs pc. on the garmin you turn it on, punch addy, and it navigates. on the tomtom you turn it on, theres auto-typing to help you punch addy faster, it gives you option of multiple routes (with times, distances), it gives you different previews of the routes (txt vs 2d , etc). theres a few more button pressing involves, but it gives me the details i want.

at 150$ pricepoint you can get a large 4"+ display model from both with free lifetime traffic. (garmin 265w vs tt xl540). the tt free traffic is wayyy more accurate than garmin's...which is as good as junk

the most offensive, glaring problem on the garmin -- the one i had, at least -- was that the display was polarized incorrectly. this has the effect of when sunglasses is worn, the display DIMS in standard orientation. basically it renders the display near invisible if youre wearing polarized sunglasses... unless u like to tilt your head 90* to read instructions...

all that said, i most prefer google navigation w/ true GPS radio on my 4" android phone.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
yeah still shopping around. Garmin has far to many models out...lol My local Best Buy is recommending Tom Tom as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Tom Tom is good. I believe the new one has a new sucker-cup design. Old one took a bit of doing, but worked nice. It keeps the unit close to the glass. I like nuvi 'cause I use the vent window to mount and need that extra bit of difference.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
love the LIVE feature on my tomtom... but will be getting a Garmin soon

Old 10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
If you're still looking...I just ordered the Garmin 2360LMT today from GPScity.com: Garmin Nuvi 2360LMT | Garmin 2360LMT

Not available until December...but this new model has quite a few higher end features for a decent price (with Lifetime Maps and Traffic to boot).

Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Was on the phone with Garmin Tech Support for an hour or two on Wed, no resolution.

Final result was that I UPS'd both units to Garmin at their request so they can conduct further testing in person.

So now I'm Nuvi-less for probably at least a couple of weeks. :-(

Quick Reply: GPS recommendations....