2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GPS recommendations....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM
rav
5 Year Member
I would get the Tomtom XXL 540TM with lifetime traffic and maps from amazon, reviews seem pretty good. That's the one i plan to get.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I have the a Garmin Nuvi...and I think it works great.

What I discovered I REALLY like? I can't guarantee it would work for everyone, but with mine I can use position it with a beanbag mount in the space behind the cupholders...plug into the outlet...and it still receives signal.

I love that location, it looks clean...at night, and most of the time it's out of obvious view of potential thieves. And it's totally removable if I so desire...

But I'm surpised it picks up signal. Since it's down below instead of up on the dash. But I'm not complaining because I love that I can keep it in that location.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by weeladdie
Was on the phone with Garmin Tech Support for an hour or two on Wed, no resolution.

Final result was that I UPS'd both units to Garmin at their request so they can conduct further testing in person.

So now I'm Nuvi-less for probably at least a couple of weeks. :-(
UPDATE: (Apologies for resurrecting a three month old thread...)

Just found out this past week from Garmin support that there was a new version of the Nuvi 1490T software (4.90).

Installed it and Nuvi has been connecting to the EcoRouteHD with no problems for the past several days.

Won't be really satisfied until I get several months of error free use, but keeping fingers crossed that they found and corrected the problem.

Alex

Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Avn2210p

I installed eclipse AVN2210P. Basically an integrated GPS in dash stereo based on TomTom.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Question about lifetime traffic- do all of the companies get the data from the same place? Because my thinking is that you shell out extra money for lifetime traffic reports but the GPS company goes out of business so it turns out to be only the lifetime of the GPS manufacturer.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:47 AM
As far as I know garmin traffic comes free, least it did on mine. When GPS was new and on a trip north it took me on a detour that was hard to say was worth it, but did seem to not slow me down. If you're using it on a daily commute situation and are familiar with the traffic issues it might very well be worth it. Personally I don't like it and have it disabled.

Traffic reports come from an independent source and I would be more concerned they might get lost in traffic. They are also sending 'coupons' and seem to be keeping track of where you are and I have disabled the info, because to be truthful it really is rather bogus.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 AM
The free traffic the comes with the Garmin is provided by Navteq. I've heard that the live update are not as frequent and not as accurate in many cities compared to a paid $60 life time subscription, Clear Channel Traffic, and CC makes a difference in my city.

I can now drive my FIT around trying to avoid traffic congestion. My Garmin in my FIT now has two providers, Navteq and Clear Channel and depending on which city I drive my FIT into, the Garmin will receive updates from who ever give the strongest signal, dominant provider will provide the update and it decrease gaps in traffic info

My 2 cents

Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
I ended up going with a TomTom that I picked up on boxing day and so far so good. It also came with lifetime updates.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 AM
At the risk of going off topic.... yes, Tom tom is a good nav system.

However, from my experience (maybe something to do with my eyes (glaucoma), I found the Tom tom screen quite wash out when driving the FIT in bright sun light due to the fish bowl effect of the FIT's windows, lots of sun light coming in...and I have to squint my eyes to look at the Tom Tom screen - dangerous distractions, hence I returned Tom Tm and switched to its main competitor to accommodate my FIT

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
If you have an iPhone or Droid, try the Mapquest app. Its free, always has updated maps and gives turn by turn directions.

Zach

Old 01-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Yes, Iphones, smartphones GPS app will provide real time infol maps and POI as mentioned by Vacca Rabite provided you have a good data plan with your service provider to be economically viable.

The maps etc do not reside in the iphones, smartphones. Each time you do a search on your iphone/smartphone, a lot of data will be downloaded real-time to facilitate the drawing of the maps, and you will be charged each time you press the GPS buttton if the data plan is non favourable or if you exceed your monthly data plan.

Dedicated GPS devices, on the other hand, has all your maps built-in.. no data plan to worry about except the newer GPS devices with nulink services. downside of a static maps in your GPS is we need to update our maps and POI often

My 2 cents