2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Poor Instructions for Installing Driver's side All-Weather Floor Mat

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Poor Instructions for Installing Driver's side All-Weather Floor Mat

I bought my black 2009 Honda Fit in the last days of the Cash for Clunkers program. Literally, I walked in on a Saturday, there was one Fit left a traded in my mother's old Lexus and picked up the car on Monday! So decisive, so unlike me! A few months ago I decided to get the all weather floor mats from Honda. I was chagrinned to see that the drivers side mat needed to be installed to prevent it from slipping. But I have found the instructions to be most confusing. They say that the slits are to be located and they prescribe cutting out squares of carpet to introduce the hooks. However, when you lay the carpet down with the hooks in the position they would take, the seems to be no need to cut a square out of the carpet. It seems to me that you only have to make two parallel slits for each clip, the correct distance apart (2.9 mm, I think). Also, does anyone know if you have to cut out some of the insulation substrate under the carpet (as illustrated on a YOutube video) in order to have room for the clip to fit under the carpet? I am afraid that my question is as convoluted as the instructions! But if anyone has found this frustrating, I would love to know about it.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
It was a pain for sure. What I recommend (and how I did it) is you will see the outline in the plastic where you are to cut the slits. Then get a straight razor from an X-acto knife and cut between the carpet and the plastic. Essentially cutting the glue from the underside of the carpet to slide the clip in. It's a pain to maneuver the clip into the slit but it will go.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Here's the instructions: http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/...s_AII42172.pdf

The starter slits are there - you need to feel the carpet to find them. The install has a video clip built in.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Problem solved!

Thanks to both ofyou for clearing this up for me. I now understand the directions and must admit that they are pretty straight forward. Once I saw the demonstration video, it all made sense. I will let you know how it all goes. Thanks again!!

Old 09-18-2010, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
It was simple for me. Took 10 minutes, but if I were to do it again it would take 5 mins. But the instructions do look a bit tedious.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by moobear
Thanks to both ofyou for clearing this up for me. I now understand the directions and must admit that they are pretty straight forward. Once I saw the demonstration video, it all made sense. I will let you know how it all goes. Thanks again!!
Fitfreaks is friends.